A New Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Rose

I finally got around to making the red rose a customer ordered back in November. Good thing she's patient! I've made these roses before, but never did one in bloodwood. It was tough slogging, but it was worth the work (and the aching wrists). Bloodwood may be just about as hard as granite rock, but it sure did make one pretty rose. The other woods are poplar and walnut.

Hope you folks are having a good winter. My grass is green, it's almost 50 out there, and my laundry is blowing in the wind. Go figure!

Lou
    Attached Files
    www.woodbylouise.ca

That is beautiful!!. I really like bloodwood,I love the color and how it finishes.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Beautiful rose!

It's all fun
      Terry
      Craftsman 18"
      Delta 46-460 lathe

https://www.facebook.com/SillyLillyBowsAndMore

Comment

Fine job Lou .......like your wood choices .........
        Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

Lou very nice!!! what size is it? And what blade did you use and how many blade s did it take? I have never tryed bloodwood, but it is pretty! Lance

Comment

That's wonderful! Your pattern?

Jan

Comment

You nailed that one with the Bloodwood Lou..........sweeeeet stuff.
              Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Great job. If that's your own pattern you're doubly talented!
                Rick- Out of the Woods

Comment

lovely,im a big fan of intarsia roses and and flowers in wood
                  Tom

Comment

That is really really nice work Rose, the depth dimensionaly is perfect. Nice job.
                    The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

Thanks, folks! Nope, I can't take credit for the pattern. It's from Judy Gale Roberts' small projects book. I enlarged the pattern so it's about 5x5. Bloodwood is a beast, but it sure does finish nicely. It has a natural gloss, so even using satin finish, it has quite a sheen, which, to my eye, is fine for a rose. I get braver with my sanding every time I make one, and the more I sand, the better the results .... at least so far!

Lou
                      www.woodbylouise.ca

Comment

What do you think of its aroma? I hope you are wearing a dust mask when working with it.
                        Rolf
                        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

That is just beautiful, Lou. For some reason I just can't get the hang of shaping a rose.
                          Yep, strange weather isn't it. It's supposed to be 76 f here tomorrow. Sure not like the last couple of years.
                          Fran

Comment

Beautiful Lou! You're a better person than I am...I wouldn't use that much bloodwood - cuts like a rock! (and I've been cutting myrtlewood all day!)
                            Janette
                            www.square-designs.com

Comment

Lou, that is just beautiful. The bloodwood really was a good choice. It was the perfect color for the rose. Your shaping was perfect as well. I am glad you are being adventurous with the sanding. It really shows your eye to detail and I believe it caused this rose to be exceptional when completed.
                              Tammy

Pressure makes diamonds

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X