Covered Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covered Bridge

The latest project. It's Bruce Worthington's Covered Bridge. The woods are aspen, western red cedar, blue pine, bloodwood, poplar and walnut.

The intarsia marathon continues....only another 29 projects to do.

Jan
    Attached Files

That is just gorgeous. I love it. I love scenes like that, old bridges, houses or just woods, etc.
    I love to paint or cross stitch scenes like that, too.

Comment

another great project jan. only 29 to go? lol

Comment

Thanks, Catlyn and Tommy. Yeah, 29 to go before I can do stuff for my house again.

Jan

Comment

It's a beauty, Jan! You are one very busy gal! I couldn't keep up with you if I gave up my job, my music, and my housework! Go, Jan, Go!

Lou
          www.woodbylouise.ca

Comment

Thanks, Lou. I really enjoy Bruce's patterns, even if he puts a zillion pieces in them. Fortunately, this one was easy to cut and didn't have a lot of pieces. The shaping took some thought.

Jan

Comment

Love the tones and gentleness of this piece Jan, very nice.
              The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

Nice Jan. Like Catlyn, I do like landscapes.
                Fran

Comment

I love covered bridges. That turned out nice. Good colors and I especially enjoy looking at your finish. I wish I could master the finishing like you have.
                  Tammy

Pressure makes diamonds

Comment

Beautiful work there,#1.
                    Tony

Comment

Thanks, Everyone!

@Tammy: The finish is Old Masters satin wipe-on poly. It is stone simple. Just brush or wipe it on, let it sit a couple of minutes and then wipe it off. Buff it with the paper towel until it glows, then put it down and let it dry. I use a 320 grit sanding mop to polish the piece, apply another coat and do all the same things. There are a total of 3 coats on the covered bridge.... all of which were applied before I assembled it on the backboard. That way is more time consuming, but very good for getting the pieces well covered with finish without creating buildup between the pieces that has to be cleaned out. The time spent buffing the finish with the sanding mop is the real secret. Let the finish dry for at least 24 hrs before doing that.

Give it a try, I think you'll like it.

Jan
                      Last edited by Jan; 01-26-2012, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Jan
                        I love this one and your wood choice is perfect. I use the Old Masters Gel but have never tried the sanding mop. I think it's time to break down and get one. You do such beautiful pieces.
                        Anneh

Comment

Thanks for the guidance Jan. I don't currently own a sanding mop, but I think it is time to invest in one. Do you suggest a certain brand or grit?
                          Tammy

Pressure makes diamonds

Comment

You're welcome, Tammy. I don't think the brand matters as much as the grit, so get whatever fits your grinder. Since I use mine for polishing, I have 320 grit on it. Get the double width mop and be sure to break it in. Get out a piece of scrap wood, turn on the mop and spend enough time pushing the wood against it hard to soften the ends and make it look somewhat beat up. Once you've done that, the ends will be soft enough to polish the wood without affecting the shape.

I have a couple of other sanding mops in 220 grit that I use for rounding edges of things like puzzle pieces. Once I've done that, tho, it's back to the 320 grit mop to polish and finish.

Jan

Comment

Elegant and great work, Jan

Good color choices.

Tony
                              The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Farmers market "survey"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                                I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                                For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                                Today, 11:14 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                                Today, 11:00 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                                Today, 09:57 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                                I like the fact...
                                Today, 08:34 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                                Today, 08:17 AM
                              Working...
                              X