wood thickness question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood thickness question

I just picked up some exotic lumber today and as usual it all comes a full one inch thick. The problem I have is paying good money and planing it down to 3/4". If I don't plane the wood down to that thickness then I have a ton of sanding to do for my finished piece since I am using various types of wood . My question to the more experienced wood workers out there is do you bandsaw the wood in half and use shims or am I working with wood that should be planed down to 1/2". I have done a few projects in the Kathy Wise intarsia book and very pleased with the outcome even though they seem thicker than some of the examples being sold where I live. I am even trying my hand at my own patterns with some success. Sorry about the long post but this is my first thread and I have been doing intarsia now for 6 months .

It really depends on the project and where this wood will be used. Sometimes if I need to take a great deal off I slice it of the back on the band saw. Other times 1" is not enough and I would use shims. I find it easier starting out thick and then working it down to the thickness I need for the project.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

wood question reply to Rolf

Thanks for such a quick answer. I like the bird and animal patterns. I would assume songbirds would be thin pieces like the tail feathers. The two fish patterns are 1" and tapered down especially the fins to 1/2" or less. Would a deer pattern start out 1" ? I just completed a great horned owl 16" high by 8" wide and the wood used is 1" thick. I was happy with the outcome since I used a sketch and put it into intarsia.

Comment

I find it's always better to have thicker because it's easier to thin down an individual piece as the need arises. If you plan the whole board down then sure enough, you'll come up with a project that you'll wish you hadn't.
        Janette
        www.square-designs.com

Comment

I use 4/4 all the time and end up shimming it up sometimes. A good example is my "Praying Santa" located a few posts down the board. The blood wood was 4/4 and I used a 1/4 " shim under his arm.
          Another example is my "Boot with Flowers' I used 4/4 yellowheart for the brown eyed susan's I then cut the one flower in half inverted it and used it for two flowers, I also still have 2 purple heart flowers from cutting those in half too. I'll use them somewhere sometime I know.
          Saying all that... I find it better to have thick wood I can cut down rather than thin wood I'll need to shim.

Hey Bushman how some pics!
          Last edited by dedijerry; 01-04-2012, 06:30 PM. Reason: Additional comments
          Jerry
          Life's funny if you laugh at it!

http://dedijerry.blogspot.com/
          http://www.etsy.com/shop/DediWoodworks

Comment

Question answered

Thanks for the feedback. I must be in the ballpark with my projects. I'll show some pics as soon as I figure out how. New to this online forum thing.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
              Reply to My first decent furniture project - Welding and woodwork combined
              by jim_mex
              Hi Linda - thanks for the comments on the welds. It took me an hour or so to get into the swing of MIG wire welding but I really like it in preference to stick welding especially for welding thinner material. I confess to investing in a new angle grinder to help with the cleanup and dressing. I bought...
              Today, 12:25 AM
            • keystonecop
              Bread and Cheese..
              by keystonecop
              ‚Äč Scrollsaw Woodworking and crafts Winter 2020 3/4 Cherry. A work in progress. This has been one of the most frustrating and rewarding projects that I have ever done. @Fiona Kingdon is by far one of the great scroll saw artists. Her patterns are not always the type that I like (I like to follow red...
              Today, 12:08 AM
            • keystonecop
              Reply to Recommendations anyone?
              by keystonecop
              This is in a 5x5 area.. The total shop is 10x12 ...
              Today, 12:01 AM
            • jim_mex
              Reply to Turning to something new
              by jim_mex
              Wow! That segmented bowl is amazing!

Betty - I have an old Darth Vader helmet somewhere. Will that substitute Bruce's get up? Failing that there always my current biker's helmet Thanks very much for the safety advice and concern. Rest assured that safety is my priority these days....
              Yesterday, 11:57 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Turning to something new
              by will8989
              That is beautiful. Your design?
              Yesterday, 11:42 PM
            Working...
            X