Inlays ordered at my last show.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inlays ordered at my last show.

I have made these patterns to order. One is cotton bolls for a gift to a local cotton farmer. These are the lids of cedar boxes that measure 11" x 8" x 2 3/4" deep. The white inlayed wood is pine and the dark is walnut. The Virgin Mary is inlayed poplar with carving. Ladybug is cedar inlayed into pine lid on a cedar box.
    Attached Files
    Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
    "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Jim -- Nice! Did you burn in some of the lines? I'm having trouble seeing how you created the details.
    Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Comment

Originally posted by mtnman View Post
      Jim -- Nice! Did you burn in some of the lines? I'm having trouble seeing how you created the details.
      I carve the lines into the inlayed wood with a "v" tool and then fill the groove with a mixture of wood powder from my orbital sander and sanding sealer (Lacquer) . Let it dry and sand off flush. White glue and the sanding powder/dust also works for this.
      "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Thanks!! That is a nice effect. I'll give that a try sometime.
        Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Comment

If I did not know better Jim I';d say you have done this once or twice before. Nicely done.
          "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
          Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Very nicely done!!
            DeWalt 788

Comment

Jim, They all look great !
              Eric

Liberty Twp (Cincinnati), OH

If today were perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
                If I did not know better Jim I';d say you have done this once or twice before. Nicely done.
                Yes I make a lot of these cedar boxes. I have about 100 in stock right now. Folks seem to like boxes, especially to use as gifts. Many folks buy 2-4 at a time. When I get an order, like some of those pictured, I make others just like it so now I have about 70 different patterns and that number is growing.
                "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

You do some nice work Jim, continued success at your shows.
                  Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

That is some nice work Jim.
                    Rolf
                    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Jim,Well done1 In a few years you'll be able to do tv adds( If you buy now you'll get a nice inlay on the lad,But wait, theres more........)lol,Lance

Comment

Those are very nicely made. Good Job Jim.
                        Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
                        Desert Woodcrafters
                        Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Hi Jim
                          Very nicely done!!!!!!
                          2 Questions----ome is how thick is the inlay? Is it a piece applied on the top or is the entire top and shown through on the underside?

2nd question (if you will share) what is the price on them.

for a reply.

Bill

Comment

Here in West Texas the cost of living is low, as are the wages so I sell these boxes for $14 each. I make 15-20 at a time and it averages out to about 1 1/2 hours each. About ($2.50 in materials) Not much of a wage but my hobby is 100% paid for this way...... The inlay method I do is called double bevel inlay and the 3/8" inlayed wood goes all the way though the 3/8" cedar. Here is a photo of an open box showing the backside of the batter that is inlayed into the lid. A search for "Double Bevel Inlay" will get you to some instructions and explanations of this technique. It is not all that hard to do. The first one I did came out perfect.
                            Attached Files
                            "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Jim, those are beautiful. Tried my first inlays with the challenge that Jim and Jim offered. When and if I get back into the shop I hope to do more.
                              Fran

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim Finn
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by Jim Finn
                                The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
                                Today, 04:48 PM
                              • MidMich324
                                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                                by MidMich324
                                Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
                                Today, 03:57 PM
                              • RJweb
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by RJweb
                                As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
                                Today, 03:42 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Farmers market "survey"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                                I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                                For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                                Today, 11:14 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                                Today, 11:00 AM
                              Working...
                              X