Inlay narrow or pointed parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inlay narrow or pointed parts

How do I inlay narrow parts, especially parts comming to sharp point? Like the interior cuts on this leaf and flower. The leaf will be about 5" long...for perspective.
    Attached Files
    An old beginner leaping in.

Pleased with my new EX-16.

Here's better picture. My point is how do I turn at the point? Or, do I tilt other way to do other side? Or...?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RegisG; 11-07-2011, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Ok, first, no you can't come at it from the other way.
      It takes a bit of practice, but after a while it becomes second nature. (I'm assuming that we're going off the tutrial and challenge...Just to get our ducks in a row...pun intended). When you're making a counter-clockwise turn, you can turn pretty sharp turns rather easily, however, if you're making a clockwise turn, it takes a little more tact. You'll need to learn to pull back on the wood as you turn, as if you're trying to pull the back of the blade into the corner, (which essentially just what you're doing).

If you did the duck inlay, you've gotten a taste of turns in each direction...
      Last edited by JimSawyer; 11-07-2011, 11:32 PM.
      Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
      No task is too tedious for Art.
      Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
      Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Jim,
        I did not do the duck inlay but, I will now before doing this lily...maybe 2 or 3 times. Guess I was getting ahead of myself. The lily is for Christmas so I have time and, if absolutely necessary can cut out the vein. But, prefer to raise it slightly with a shim.

My new saw is due for delivery tomorrow so I'll just get everything lined up to make some duck inlays following directions (for sure).

Thanks,
        Regis

Comment

I occasionally do a poor job on a turn like that and in other areas of my inlays. I correct it by mixing some white glue with sanding dust from my orbital sander and mashing it into the crack or hole. I apply this mixture and squeegee it off with an old credit card. Allow it to dry a few minutes and sand it a bit. The errors will "disappear"
          Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
          "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
            Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
            by will8989
            Beautiful!...
            Today, 09:19 PM
          • will8989
            Reply to Big week here
            by will8989
            Bruce said he felt like he needed to look for a job when he first retired. That lasted for about a month and he hasn’t looked back since. I had a friend whose company gave him a 50th party. At the party he told them he was retiring in 2 weeks! Trust us, you will love being retired.
            Today, 09:09 PM
          • jim_mex
            Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
            by jim_mex
            Hi ibber - LOL!

I took the keyboard back to the store a while back and they hadn't got a replacement in stock. Since I like the look o it I think I am going to play attack it later this evening and try to sort out the problem.
            ingers crossed
            Today, 07:35 PM
          • cwmagee
            Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
            by cwmagee
            I think it might be a letter that one would need to use the left index finger. Perhaps you need a heavier hammer.
            Today, 05:39 PM
          • jim_mex
            Reply to New tools
            by jim_mex
            Hi Rolf - the unit I bought will also do Tig welding once you buy the optional accessories - torch, nozzles etc: - plus it will do conventional stick welding too. I doubt I'll be heading down the TIG route anytime soon, at least not for the projects I have in mind at the moment.

I did a...
            Today, 05:26 PM
          Working...
          X