Inlay narrow or pointed parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inlay narrow or pointed parts

How do I inlay narrow parts, especially parts comming to sharp point? Like the interior cuts on this leaf and flower. The leaf will be about 5" long...for perspective.
    Attached Files
    An old beginner leaping in.

Pleased with my new EX-16.

Here's better picture. My point is how do I turn at the point? Or, do I tilt other way to do other side? Or...?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RegisG; 11-07-2011, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Ok, first, no you can't come at it from the other way.
      It takes a bit of practice, but after a while it becomes second nature. (I'm assuming that we're going off the tutrial and challenge...Just to get our ducks in a row...pun intended). When you're making a counter-clockwise turn, you can turn pretty sharp turns rather easily, however, if you're making a clockwise turn, it takes a little more tact. You'll need to learn to pull back on the wood as you turn, as if you're trying to pull the back of the blade into the corner, (which essentially just what you're doing).

If you did the duck inlay, you've gotten a taste of turns in each direction...
      Last edited by JimSawyer; 11-08-2011, 12:32 AM.
      Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
      No task is too tedious for Art.
      Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
      Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Jim,
        I did not do the duck inlay but, I will now before doing this lily...maybe 2 or 3 times. Guess I was getting ahead of myself. The lily is for Christmas so I have time and, if absolutely necessary can cut out the vein. But, prefer to raise it slightly with a shim.

My new saw is due for delivery tomorrow so I'll just get everything lined up to make some duck inlays following directions (for sure).

Thanks,
        Regis

Comment

I occasionally do a poor job on a turn like that and in other areas of my inlays. I correct it by mixing some white glue with sanding dust from my orbital sander and mashing it into the crack or hole. I apply this mixture and squeegee it off with an old credit card. Allow it to dry a few minutes and sand it a bit. The errors will "disappear"
          Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
          "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim McDonald
            Reply to Who has Been Vaccinated ?
            by Jim McDonald
            Waiting on Indiana to open the 65 yo group.
            Today, 08:48 PM
          • will8989
            Reply to More toys
            by will8989
            You will bring a smile to the face of whoever gets these....
            Today, 08:39 PM
          • will8989
            by will8989
            Our appt is next week, I think. We are going to another county as ours doesn’t have enough. So they say. First one was cancelled for 2/1 as they had to make sure they had enough for the 2nd shot. Applied the next day and got the same appointment they cancelled. Go figure.
            Today, 08:37 PM
          • Jim Finn
            by Jim Finn
            My wife and I got our first shot a week ago.
            Today, 06:55 PM
          • Linda In Phoenix
            by Linda In Phoenix
            Can't get mine yet in Arizona, although I'd love to. Don't have enough vaccines here, so we are still focused on high exposure 'essential workers' and people over 75. I have a sister in assisted living with hospice people and care givers that come and go everyday...they still haven't received the...
            Today, 01:43 PM
          Working...
          X