Where do I put it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I put it?

I hope this is the right place for this thread. I am in my final stretch to finishing a picture of the Last Supper, pattern by Bruce Worthington. It is an 800 piece Intarsia and I am donating it to my church's new office building. They would like to hang it in the main entrance when they get it. When there it will have sun on it for probably 2 hours everyday. I want to know if that is ok because I have had problems with wood fading in the sun, especially Poplar. I am using the following woods:
    Poplar, Walnut, Oak, Hickory, Purpleheart, Yellowheart, Bloodwood, Cocobolo, Ebony, Lacewood, Zebrawood, Cedar, Aspen, Blue Pine and Wedge.

Any thoughts on it are appreciated! Thanks

The popple may turn brown instead of green if it was green to start. The purpleheart will get purple. I don't think the others will be effected. (Affected? Never could keep those two words straight.)
    T
    Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

I'd love to see the finished piece when it's done.

I've seen purpleheart turn really dark too....

There was a great chart in issue #34 that showed the properties of different woods, and also what to expect of wood over time...
      Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
      No task is too tedious for Art.
      Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
      Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

I'll see what I can do as far as pics go. Also, do I need to worry about colors "mixing" when I varnish it? It's my first time working with exotic wood and I don't know how it will react.

Comment

Purpleheart will get more purple, the poplar will turn brown after a while in the sunlight. If I were you, I would apply some thinned acrylic paint to the poplar if at all possible. I find that it helps to retain and enhance the color.
          Alex Pierce

Comment

Would luv to see a photo(s) of the finished project!

And your question about colors "mixing" is a HUGE YES!!!! You need to be very, very careful with the varnish/finish you apply! I am not trying to scare you, just saving you A LOT of headaches I have encountered. This is even true when using mineral spirits to wipe off any dust or checking for excess glue. Woods I have encountered problems with (in your list) are Cocobolo and Wenge with the colors 'bleeding', especially when using very porous woods like Blue Pine and Cedar next to them. Several light, light coats seem to work out better than completely saturating the entire piece. Another issue is the difference with 'oily' woods vs. porous; you have to treat them different and not a project as a whole. Once you get the first few coats on (non-wax Shellac works great) then you do not have to be so cautious. However, this is just my two cents and there are more skilled/knowledgeable people on the forum that can give you advice.
            Good Luck!
            ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

I've never heard of woods bleeding. The only time I've ever ended up with anything besides the finish on the paper towel is when I use a magic marker to color and eye black. sometimes Tenn. red cedar will come off a bit but I'm thinking it's just leftover dust. What finish are you using? Unless you use some sort of UV protectant, the colors will tend to change somewhat over time - which isn't necessarily a bad thing - it just makes the project "richer".
              Janette
              www.square-designs.com

Comment

I plan on spraying, maybe brushing a little, Deft. It's a polyurethane varnish. It's the only thing I have experience with.
                @lkbraa- will spraying help reduce bleeding colors?
                @kartoffolin- By thinned actrilic paint do you mean any waterbased paint mixed like 50-50 with water? I am interested in trying to stop the Poplar from turning brown. Any specific brands?
                @Janette- What kind of UV protecter are there? Brnads?

This is my really first "big project" and I'm really nervous about jumping into the finish. Thanks for the thoughts!

Comment

I'm not a big fan of spray finishes for intarsia although I know there are a lot of people that use them and are happy with the results. I don't see how you can get it into all the nooks and crannies of intarsia. I use a clear gel varnish - to me, it gives it a nicer look. If you do use a spray - stick with satin. You're supposed to sand in between so I don't know how the heck you'd do that with a big piece like you're making. As far as UV - there are some out there I'm sure but since I haven't tried any, I wouldn't want to steer you in the wrong direction.
                  Janette
                  www.square-designs.com

Comment

I have no experience at this so am just asking for my own benefit as well.
                    Would a sanding sealer application first stop the bleeding?
                    Does a sanding sealer seal the wood?
                    Can you apply a color oil, like watco maple or black walnut with success after sanding sealer?
                    Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
                    Desert Woodcrafters
                    Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                      Shrink wrap systems
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      What do you use to shrink wrap, and what do you use it on? Lately in the puzzles section I've seen a couple of you mention shrink wrapping. I've considered such a leap. Even though the basics are all similar from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's still leaves some questions. Maybe others have...
                      Today, 11:51 AM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Sundays market
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Brrrr. Glad you got to sell a little. I miss the people interaction. A lot. I hope you found some pretty pieces of wood at the store!
                      Today, 11:39 AM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to New tools
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      New tools can definitely open up the scope of what we can do, or how well I'm on the band wagon. Congrats!
                      Today, 11:36 AM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Interesting pallet
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      At work (like 15 years ago) we got in some aluminum sheet on pallets 4'x12'. Those pallets were like brand new, without even any discoloring from the metals. I asked our sales rep, and he said I could keep one pallet. I removed all the 4' boards, which measured about 1/2" thick, 4" wide...
                      Today, 11:32 AM
                    • NC Scroller
                      Reply to Interesting pallet
                      by NC Scroller
                      I agree that needs to be saved for a special project. The wood is likely oak based on the grain pattern and the discoloration around the nail.
                      Today, 11:30 AM
                    Working...
                    X