grotesqueries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grotesqueries

In the late 19th century and early 20th century. The Martin Brothers in England produced stoneware scultpures of really ugky birds. They were called grotesqueries, were used has tobacco jars and popular during the Arts and Crafts movement. Has any one of you seen intarsia versions of these? Made them? Have pictures? Go google "Martin brothers ugly bird" and you will see what I am talking about.

Dave Van Ess

Wow Dave! - As a UK born ceramist and part time studio pottery in my past the last place I'd expect to see someone discussing Martinware is on this forum!!!

Whilst I've seen their product in museums in Stoke-on-Trent I doubt they have traveled far enough afield to raise interest from scrollers. If you do a google image search on 'Martinware birds' it will throw up some examples of the work and there is also website of the company listed as martinwarepottery.com but it doesn't show many of the birds, I suspect because the company was better known for its grotesque face and head jars, an idea which in more recent times has been picked up in a more whimsical style by a company known as Pretty Ugly Pottery

I think that if you wanted to produce similar items in intarsia you would need to create your own patterns maybe using their original pieces as a design starting point. Alternatively take at look at the vultures in Disney's Dumbo - they aren't so different!
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

Here are some phots of some clasic Martin Brothers
      Ugly Bird" I would buy one but they go for about $30,000

Dave
      Last edited by DaveVanEss; 08-07-2013, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Jim, I suspected you'd have a response here, given your background. As a long-ago collector of Doulton art pottery, I once bought a Martin Bros piece, but it was an incised piece, not a grotesque--that was all I could afford.

And I, too, was surprised to find Dave's post here, but why not? Would certainly be great in any medium.
        Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Most anyone can do a cute puppy. But to make an ugly bird and make it appealing, that would take big talent and would be pushing the envelope of Intrasia.

Dave

ps I am also well read on the Arts and Crafts movement and its three main schools. Mission, Pairie and Art Nouveau My trips to Asia allow to see the influence they have had on this period and I share Charles Greene's Affair with Asia. I also collect period works of Elbert Hubbard. My favorite designer is Charles Rene MacIntoch and I believe it was his work that helped move Art Noveau to Art Deco. (I hope to own a piece of his work some day.) I build furniture of that period and when I visit the Gamble house in Pasadena, I end up giving the lecture. So knowing about ugly birds is not really a stretch.

I am also very interested in 13th century Europian history but that is for another time.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jimern
            Reply to Farmers market "survey"
            by Jimern
            The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
            Today, 06:29 AM
          • will8989
            Reply to Farmers market "survey"
            by will8989
            The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
            Yesterday, 11:10 PM
          • will8989
            Reply to Farmers market
            by will8989
            Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
            Yesterday, 10:31 PM
          • tgiro01
            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
            by tgiro01
            Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
            Yesterday, 09:38 PM
          • Linda In Phoenix
            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
            by Linda In Phoenix
            It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
            Yesterday, 06:47 PM
          Working...
          X