Catchin'Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catchin'Air

My gift to our new grand baby Michael...
    he was born Sept 17th, 20 inches long and weighed in at 10 lbs..

I had the plans for this project for months and I wanted to have it done by the baby shower but that didn't happen..
    I started the project 4 1/2 weeks ago hoping that I might have it done before Michael was born but that didn't happen eather...
    I put the last coat of clear on last night so now I can officially call this project done!

the pattern Catchin'Air is by Lucille Crabtree.
    the woods I used was black walnut, maple, mahogany, paduak, yellow heart, purple heart, zebra wood and a small piece of cherry....

thanks for looking...
    Trout
    Last edited by Trout; 10-06-2011, 10:24 PM.
    Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
    Fish are food, not friends!

Awe... Michael is a cutie! Your bear looks pretty cute too.
    T
    Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Congratulations!!!!!!! May the little fella have a long, healthy and interesting life.
      Your bear is great! Just as we thought it would be.

Jan

Comment

Looks awesome
        Brett

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday!

Comment

Ok he's big enough to keep..... Just over the slot limit... Looks like Grandpa is going to be a pushover (as it should be)!
          Great job on the bear too! I have been looking forward to seeing the finished piece. Really nice work and great wood choices!
          Jerry
          Life's funny if you laugh at it!

http://dedijerry.blogspot.com/
          http://www.etsy.com/shop/DediWoodworks

Comment

Trout, what an awesome photo and congrats on the grandbaby, what a precious gift!!! As to your gift to him, what an awesome piece of art...there is no doubt it was made with lots, and lots of luv and attention.

Luv the wood choices, what wood was used for the laces and the soles of the shoes...it's so white? Did you use a milk wash/whitening coat on it?

Thanx for sharing and enjoy that grandbaby!
            ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

I wanted to make Michael something spacial but I didn't know what?? so I asked what was the theme of his room and our daughter said little forest animals. so that's when I got to thinking about little Bambi deer's, squirrels, chipmunks, skunk??? those are decorations, I wanted something that would one day be passed down to his boy and that's when I found the Catchin Air pattern...

plus this skate boarding bear would be cool in his room at any age.....

Hi Kim and thanks, I didn't spend a lot of time tring to get the best picture and I think the natural light I used made the wood look whiter than it is. the shoe laces and all the light wood is maple, I made sure that laces didn't have any grain going through which helped with the lighter color. all the wood is natural except for the helmet, knee and elbow pads, I stained black walnut with Ebony stain to make them dark. as for the soles, I paid $19 for a foot of zebra wood....

he's already has the form....

Trout
              Last edited by Trout; 10-06-2011, 11:15 PM.
              Hawk G-4 Jetcraft

Comment

Trout, that is just too dang cute!!! No doubt he will be on a skateboard in no time - lol!

Thanx for the info, I am always trying to find that all mighty white wood...then the blonde sets in and I use danish oil on the finished piece...OOFTA!!! I noticed where you could see the grain on the bottom of the board, so that's why I thought maybe you had done something different for the other areas.
                Last edited by lkbraa; 10-06-2011, 11:17 PM. Reason: typo
                ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Beautiful baby and bear. Amazing workmanship!
                  DeWalt 788

Comment

Hi Trout - it's always great to see photos of proud grandparents with their grandchildren. A great shot!

As to the Catchin' Air. Its difficult to comment on your work because it's always so darn good so instead I'll comment on your choice of design. An excellent choice and I agree with your sentiments that this is a piece that will stand the test of time as your grandson grows up and hopefully will eventually be passed on to subsequent generations

Excellent work and thanks for sharing!
                    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                    - Albert Einstein

Comment

nice looking piece trout,
                      he will realy love it as he gets older,
                      congrats on the grand son
                      not doing much
                      and busy doing it

having fun making sawdust.

http://www.customcutz4you.webs.com/

Comment

Yea another scroller is born........will he have a great teacher, lucky kid.
                        Your project came out oh so sweeeeet.
                        How did that temp glue hold up for ya while getting everything together before final glue?
                        Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood Dog View Post
                          How did that temp glue hold up for ya while getting everything together before final glue?
                          hey Wood Dog, the tacky glue worked great holding things together and I don't think I could of done it with out it..
                          the only problem I used too much and it got to be a pain to clean off the pieces because that stuff stays tacky that's for sure...

lesson learned, just a dab and give it time to hold and it's all good..

thanks for that tip on the tacky glue..

Trout
                          Hawk G-4 Jetcraft

Comment

Trout... You have more talent in your little finger than I have in my whole body. The skateboard is superb! Congratulations on baby Michael. I'm sure you won't spoil him.
                            -- Rick --

Comment

Great job, Trout, they are both "keepers"
                              Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                              Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                              Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                                Today, 12:59 AM
                              • will8989
                                Sundays market
                                by will8989
                                When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                                Today, 12:46 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by will8989
                                I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                                Today, 12:27 AM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                                by jim_mex
                                Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
                                Yesterday, 08:47 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                                by KarlB
                                Very well done!

Karl
                                Yesterday, 07:36 PM
                              Working...
                              X