Need help in designing my own inlays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help in designing my own inlays

Thanks guys. Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I need some help. How do I go about creating the pattern for a bear, a moose and now a dolphin all ovals. I printed out several ovals and tried just attaching or superimposing clip art on top but I can't seem to get the clip art the same sizes. I hate being a computer numpty...It is so frustrating and really hampers my creative side some times.

I was thinking for the bear and moose to have mountain peaks on the top instead of the water like the duck. Help please. I'd really like it if you can show me how to do it.
    Last edited by wood-n-things; 09-21-2011, 09:25 AM.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Mike, I use KTownScroller's Pattern Calculator program he offered here a while ago. It works great, but I seem to remember you having IrfanView, you can use that also to change pattern sizes. Open your file in Irfanview, under Print Size click the custom circle. Make sure the Aspect ratio is checked and change the width to what you want, you don't have to enter a number for height if aspect ratio is checked, now look toward the bottom to see if inches is checked. Look on right side under Resulting image size on paper, you will see your dimensions, also you can view the image in the preview box top right. Play around with sizes and you will see the image changing in size according to what you typed in.
    Sorry I can't help with drawing patterns, I just about get stick figures drawn.....
    Last edited by Wood Dog; 09-21-2011, 09:43 AM.
    Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

WD,
      I do have irfanview and I was able after i posted the above to get the clip arts pretty much the same size. However I don't know how to get them inside the oval and especially if I want to add a 3rd element like trees or mountains. I think rather than hijacking this thread I'll open a new discussion though. Thank you for your help.

I also have inkscape but can't for the life of me get an oval draw and saved and then to import the clip art---- fuhget aboud it.
      Last edited by wood-n-things; 09-21-2011, 10:59 AM.
      "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Gee Mike, I guess I'm spoiled. I've got PhotoShop 6. It's really easy to resize images, among other things.
        And actually what you're going through right now will turn out to be a truely good experience. You probably are already seeing potential inlays everywhere.

For the moose and bear, I really like your idea of mountains behind them. As for the front, (if you're worried about hiding the pilot hole), I'm thinking maybe you could put a grass element hiding the bottom of the feet, and drill there.

Hope this was helpful.........
        Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
        No task is too tedious for Art.
        Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
        Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

"Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Sometimes paper and pencil are the fastest... If you don't have a light table a window will work.
            Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

T,
              I can't draw a straight line with a ruler....POUT! Thank you for your suggestion though.
              "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

OK - print a copy of the oval on 1 piece of paper. Print a copy of the clipart on another. Then you can either trace the clipart into the oval, or cut and paste - actually cut it out and paste it into the oval. No ruler needed... LOL
                T
                Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Mike,
                  I do what T said all of the time. Have been for years...
                  ...And other extremes between the computer and the drawing table.....
                  ...back and forth a lot.
                  And I use tracing paper A LOT......
                  ...(Which incidentely is one reason I included it in the tutorial. When I'm working out a design, a lot of the time I'll have to retrace elements back onto the wood after I inlay it. So it's just a good practice. Plus it helps to draw something a couple of times to work out details to be sure they will work for inlay).....
                  Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                  No task is too tedious for Art.
                  Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                  Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Hi Mike,
                    I will share my dolphin pattern & I also made a bear (not cut yet). However I'm trying to figure out how to post patterns. Any suggestions ?!?
                    www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

Save the pattern as a .jpg or.pdf and then follow the below instruction. same as a picture which you have already done. Thank you for your generosity.

Here is the preferred way to post photos. This method will apply a thumbnail so that messages load faster, keeping those who are still on dial up in mind.

Click on the Go Advanced button under the reply box, Click on Manage Attachments, click Browse, find your file name on your computer, click it, then click Upload. It may take a few seconds to load.
                      Once you see the file name under current attachments you can close the window.
                      If you want you can Preview Post (a wise choice) then if all is well, click on Submit reply.
                      Good luck Looking forward to your patterns.
                      "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Okay T and Jim. I will try your copy, paste, print, paste, juggle method but it is rather time consuming. LOL
                        "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Here are my patterns. Hopefully they are sized correctly.

These were designed using Inkscape, which made it easy to resize the clipart and draw over them.

Donna
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Mike for the instructions. My problem was getting them saved as JPG. I had all of my software opened and the last one finally let me save in the right format

Comment

Donna,
                              Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to seeing your bear completed and your tutorial on how you made the oval and imported the clip art using inkscape.....Hint...Big ol cyber hugz!
                              "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X