Advice on Intarsia sculpting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Intarsia sculpting

I am in the process of my 1st natarsia (duck). having done half of it, it looks ok. The only inconsistant look is the sanded bevel (rounding) one puts on the edge. Any advice of how to do it and what size to do. I have a drill press with those soft sanding sponge,belt sander. hand sander. Please let me know. Also how do you sand the little parts.

I moved your thread to a more appropriate forum to maximize traffic and get you more responses to your request/question. I also edited your title.
    Last edited by wood-n-things; 09-16-2011, 10:21 AM.

I think my best advice to you would be to check out the local library for any of
    the Judy Gale Roberts books which have instructions.
    Other than that, it is all pretty much a personal preference on what you think
    looks well.
    On my intarsia pieces, I would hazard a guess that I only round over the interior
    edges that abut one another by about 1/8" to 3/16" and it looks deeper than that
    because they are joined against each other.
    The outside edge, I probably round over anywhere from 1/4" to 3/8" on 3/4" stock.
    I use a 6" belt sander, 1" belt sander, drum sander with various sized drums, a palm
    sander, and LOTS of hand sanding. Generally speaking, each grit gets increasingly
    finer in the order of each tool above. A Mop sander would eliminate some of the
    hand sanding and I am definitley going to be buying or making one soon.
    God Bless! [email protected]

Comment

If you could post a pic it would help. You might check out intarsia.net there is a great tutorial on intarsia. Best help would be to look at the many items in the Intarsia gallery and study how others have shaped similar projects. I do that a-lot. Good luck!
      Jerry
      Life's funny if you laugh at it!

http://dedijerry.blogspot.com/
      http://www.etsy.com/shop/DediWoodworks

Comment

Hi - first of all, congratulations on giving intarsia a go.

I second the previous comments made. A good tutorial will give you the basic ideas for shaping. After that its down to personal preference in developing your own style.

Check out some of the intarsia challenges in the 'sticky' thread at the top of the listings in this forum subsection. They give lots of advice plus you can see how different scrollers approach a similar design.

Most important of all is to follow Jerry's request and post pictures of your work so that members can see exactly the article and where you may need help. Don't feel concerned or self conscious if you estimate your work is not good enough to post. There are no prima donnas on this forum and everybody will appreciate that you are a newcomer looking for advice and folks will readily chip in to help you.

Cheers!
        Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
        - Albert Einstein

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim Finn
          Reply to Farmers market "survey"
          by Jim Finn
          The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
          Today, 04:48 PM
        • MidMich324
          Reply to Plastic puzzle
          by MidMich324
          Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
          Today, 03:57 PM
        • RJweb
          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
          by RJweb
          As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
          Today, 03:42 PM
        • Linda In Phoenix
          Farmers market "survey"
          by Linda In Phoenix
          Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
          I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
          For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
          Today, 11:14 AM
        • Linda In Phoenix
          Reply to Farmers market
          by Linda In Phoenix
          Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
          Today, 11:00 AM
        Working...
        X