its a duck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• its a duck

havent been in the shop for a spell.....so i finally got out katy wise's book and finished my 3rd intarsia. woods used were walnut, aspen,oak,mystery wood i believe is cherry (wings), poplur,and ceder. the head is cedar dyed green and the water is poplur dyed a greyish blue i concocted while playing with dye. its finished in satin poly and picture was wet when i took it. let me know what ya think (good and bad) thanks for looking
    Attached Files

Looks real nice funhater. I have only done one segmentation of a Canada Goose. You did real good on the finish too. It looks great. Good Job.
    PERK

Comment

Very impressive...!!!
      You've gotten the presentation you were looking for...
      Beautiful work...!!!!
      Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
      No task is too tedious for Art.
      Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
      Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Great contouring in my opinion.
        God Bless! Spirithorse

Comment

That's a wonderful duck, Fun. (I'm not calling you Funhater! - no one is a funhater!) I love the coloring. Would you explain the process you used with the dye?
          DeWalt 788

Comment

Nice duck! Really like the shaping.
            Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Comment

Well that is one sweeeeeet quack quack, very nice.
              Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

thanks to evryone! sally i use rit dye for my odd colors if you go to www.ritdye.com they have a color chart that shows what color dyes they have and also how to mix colors to get the color you are looking for. now i have played around with this for a while and this is how i do it, 1st off i do not submerge the wood in dye its a waste and doesnt produce the right color in my opinon. i mix up a batch of dye and brush it on with a foam pad let it set until it soaks in try to keep the color as even as possible i wipe off the excess with on of those green scrubby pads and reapply till i have the color i want, the scrubby pad helps with the raised grain also. i have the best luck dying cedar and oak they both take color well but you have to play because they take color diffrent. and for the funhater thing.....i am a bit of a prankster i live by the code of "if its funny its worth it" some one once said to me " boy you sure do hate having fun dont you" my reply is yep im a funhater and it stuck ever since!! if you need help with the dye let me know

Comment

Hi funhater - that's a really nicely made duck. You got the shaping and the colours spot on and I really like the grain direction.

As for the dyes. I used alcohol based dyes normally but I'm just trying some dyes which can be diluted with either water, alcohol or thinner which I purchased in Italy where I'm currently working. I use a similar application technique to you and use a scrubbing pad to remove the fuzz but I use a white one. I tried the green ones and found that the brand I bought locally occasionally leaves a green mark on the wood. I also found that if you apply an oil finish after staining and before topcoating you can enhance the colour and grain a little more.

Nice work and thanks for posting
                  Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                  - Albert Einstein

Comment

I would not shoot that duck but I would certainly hang it on my wall. You did a wonderful job. I'd put that one in my book under the chapter "How Intarsia Is Supposed to Look".

Great job.
                    John
                    I've Got A Lot More To Learn
                    About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
                    "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

Beautiful! I like it a lot, I agree with Jim about your grain selection, shapeing and the use of dye. Only your third piece hugh.
                      The only thing I would do different is the finish a bit too glossy for my taste. I know you took the picture while it was still wet.
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Great looking Mallard. Using color dyes really makes it.
                        Denny
                        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Super duper cool!
                          -- Rick --

Comment

Looks awesome,like the wash look.
                            Tony

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                              Reply to New tools
                              by jim_mex
                              Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                              Yesterday, 11:14 PM
                            • Hobbyhorse
                              Reply to New tools
                              by Hobbyhorse
                              Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                              Yesterday, 11:03 PM
                            • Hobbyhorse
                              Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                              by Hobbyhorse
                              Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                              Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                            • KarlB
                              Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                              by KarlB
                              Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                              Yesterday, 09:41 PM
                            • KarlB
                              Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                              by KarlB
                              Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                              Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                            Working...
                            X