This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inlay Primer Tutorial and Challenge

Jim_Mex and I have developed this tutorial especially for folks who want to try their hand at inlay.
    I think that people don't try it because it looks difficult, but once you do one, you'll see just how simple it can be.
    Give it a try...I'm not putting a time limit on it, but you should get to it while the data is still fresh in your mind...

I hope to see lots of ducks floating by..

If you have questions I'm here all of the time, (except during the hurricane), and will answer anything that you don't understand.

Here's the Pattern...
    duck pattern.jpg

http://scrollingalong.com/jc_inlay/inlay_primer.swf for a flash based tutorial

http://scrollingalong.com/jc_inlay/inlay_primer.pdf for a printable pdf based tutorial

I'm looking forward to seeing what you all come up with....
    Last edited by JimSawyer; 08-26-2011, 08:20 PM. Reason: added content
    Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
    No task is too tedious for Art.
    Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
    Featherwood Woodcrafts

Please join in and give inlay a try.
    It really is fun!!

and as I'm not sure if Jim forgot to show the finished piece or if he was just teasing here it is. The piece measures approx 3 1/4" wide, give or take a tail feather!

Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

Will try this again - jim (not saying which one!) locked the other message before my reply posted!

Thank you Jim and Jim for taking the time and effort to make this tutorial! and for posting it as a pdf as well as flash. It's still downloading for me (18 minutes and counting...) but this way I can save it and look at it again.

So - any guidelines for the challenge? size? time? what to do with it once it's cut?
      T
      Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Theresa - I made mine to the same size as Jim's pattern and drilled a hole in it to turn it into a fob key ring for a special key that we use in the factory coffee and snacks vending machines. It's surprising just how many comments its received as folks queue up for their mid morning coffee!

I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and update this post
        Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi T,
          I made it originally as a fridge magnet, but there are plenty of ways to use it.
          It can also be a broach, or as Jim did, a key fob.
          Mostly it's just a way for people to get over the hump, get their feet wet if you will, (pun intended)....

Jim, Thanks for posting the finished piece. I had a hard time with it.
          Jim

Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
          Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

A very big THANKS to both of you (Jim S & Jim M) for the work put into this tutorial.....and a thanks for another Challenge, they are soooo fun.
            Is it my eyes or what, but that duck looks a bit raised from its surrounding, is it flat?
            If we don't get blown away with this impending hurricane, I shall have a go at it.
            Good luck to everyone in its path.
            Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Thanks to both of you.

I'm going to ask a question that may benefit some of the lurkers. I have an ex21 now so the head tilts, not the table. Will I tilt the head the same direction as I would the table? I'm going to give this a try as soon as the shop cools down.

I think I would tilt the head to the right....
              Last edited by wood-n-things; 08-26-2011, 03:13 PM.
              "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
              Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I'm going to ask a question that may benefit some of the lurkers. I have an ex21 now so the head tilts, not the table. Will I tilt the head the same direction as I would the table?
                hey Mike - I like this thread cos if i say anything wrong I can always say ' that was the other Jim that said it!'

Logic and a drawing I posted in the other thread about inlays tonight tells me that if the table is flat the top of the blade should tilt down towards the right looking at the blade head on.
                Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

A great tutorial Jim and Jim. Thanks for taking the time and effort to produce it. I have been wanting to try my hand at inlay for a while now but didn't really know where to start. This is very easy to follow and when it comes to inlay there's no better teacher than Jim(Sawyer) and when it comes to laying out a tutorial our other Jim is the daddy. I will give it a go in the very near future and will post my results. Thanks to you both again.
                  Mick
                  I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. Winston Churchill

Comment

OK folks - to start the ball rolling on this challenge, although my 'duck on the water' is shown in the tutorial here it is again put to practical use as a key fob

Can't wait to see some more to join Jim's and mine. It's driving me quackers!

Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

WD, no the duck isn't raised. That's just an optical illusion from the different wood grains. The mahogany is kind of shimery... If you were to run your finger over it, (and people do that to my inlays all of the time...), it's smooth as a baby's bottom.
                      Jim

Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                      Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Here is mine. My first attempt at inlay. Thanks to the Jims.

My wood is Walnut, Curly Maple and Oak... Put your dust masks on to view the pictures. It is all salvaged pallet wood.

I had a real dark piece of Oak, Very dense and tight grained and only a small piece of it. I believe it was Live Oak. Of course I ruined it on the band saw while resawing it to 5/16" thickness. My fence was not adjusted correctly and I taper cut the wood. Oh well, in the trash it went and I ended up with the lighter colored piece of Oak you see in the pictures.

Bob
                        Attached Files

Comment

Wow Bob! - that is nice! Excellent cutting and a great combination of timber.
                          So, what are you going to do with your piece?
                          Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

I love the grain-- makes it look like she has pin feathers.
                            "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                            Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

A+ Bob......!!!
                              Beautiful execution.....
                              I like the use of grain as well...

So what did you think..?? Did it WET your appetite..?? Will you be doing more???
                              Last edited by JimSawyer; 08-29-2011, 06:46 AM.
                              Jim

Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                              Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X