scroll saw school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scroll saw school

I posted this question on the beginners thread site but I was thinking this may be the better place to ask. Here is the question, have any of you taken a class teaching intarsia and if so was it worth the money? Thanks

I went to A judy Gale roberts class in May (intermediate 2) I am glad that I spent the money. She has all levels of classes, although I would be comfortable with my scrolling skills before going.
    Judy Gale Roberts Intarsia

Judy and her assistant MaryAnn are incredibly skilled and very patient.

One of our club members also took a private class with Kathy Wise that she absolutly loved.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I have not taken a scroll saw or intarsia class but I have taken other types of WW classes. There are tip and tricks with all forms. Most you can not pick up form reading or watching a video. My advise is yes take a class if you can find one. If there are none in your area find someone in your area that does that type of work and ask them for pointers. Most of us would be glad to show our talents and our shops. By doing this you learn a skill and better yet make a new friend.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I took an intarsia class at my local Woodcraft store in Northern VA. Many locations offer scroll saw classes as well.

This link can let you see if anything is offered close to you:
        http://www.woodcraft.com/Resources/Education.aspx

Good luck. After I get a little more experience under my belt, I plan on taking a JGR class.

Joel
        Last edited by Joel Kaufman; 08-25-2011, 08:55 AM.
        ---Joel; Central MD...rookie empter nester and getting back into woodworking!

Comment

Scott is right. If you can find a local club or more experienced scrollers it really helps.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I have gone to Judy Gale Roberts classes 8 times and usually make it my summer vacation. I highly recommend her classes and the area has lots of things available to make it a fun trip. If that is out of reach it always helps to take a class at Woodcraft if they're available. If you have any questions about Judy's classes she is always willing to answer them if you call. Good luck.

Steve

Comment

Wow - Joel - look at all those classes. I love classes. Thanks for the link!
              DeWalt 788

Comment

Hey Trackman, where are you located? I teach beginner scroll saw at Woodcraft in Ventura, CA. I have not taught an Intarsia class yet because no one has requested it yet. But I would be open to it if there was interest.
                Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

A little bit to far to come dgman (lol) I am in East Central Indiana but thanks anyway. I thank all of the replies I have gotten on this.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                    The bags seem easier on the surface.
                    But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                    Today, 03:24 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                    by will8989
                    Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                    Today, 10:32 AM
                  • Sandy Oaks
                    by Sandy Oaks
                    As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                    Today, 09:46 AM
                  • NC Scroller
                    Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                    by NC Scroller
                    I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                    Today, 07:42 AM
                  • NC Scroller
                    by NC Scroller
                    I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                    Today, 07:39 AM
                  Working...
                  X