Segmentation Shield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Segmentation Shield

Here's another recent project. I think I'm most pleased with this one of all my projects so far. The pieces are far smaller than any I've done to this point. It's about 7 inches wide, done in 3/4 inch pine with no backing. I made this for a couple and the symbol in the shield is special to them.

<eye candy>

</eye candy>

-BobmanScroller
    Attached Files

It's lovely. How did you add the color?
    DeWalt 788

Comment

Great work, Bobman! I am going to try a segmentation project real soon.
      Thanks for sharing your pic with us!

Paul
      www.flicker.com/photos/woodworks44224

Comment

Thanks for the comments you guys,

Sally, I added color by applying some wood stains. Right now I mostly use paper towels, dip in little sample size stain cans, and wipe on the wood. The interior pieces are only stained on the front and down the sides enough to cover the raw color, but not enough to interfere with the glue. The exterior piece is stained all the way down the outer side as well. The back is plain.

The stains I use are mostly deck stains from home depot. They can make more colors that way and it's basically a paint that still shows the wood grain. I have them mix the transparent versions in little sample cans that aren't too expensive. The outermost pieces though are regular wood stains I think.

-BobmanScroller

Comment

Really a great looking project. The colors really add to the piece.

Denny
          Denny
          ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Nicely done! I am planning on making an "elk" segmentation for my son-in-law. I noticed you made your shield from pine. What kind of pine? Most pine woods I see have knots.

Comment

Nice work, I like the muted finish on this piece, not too glossy and not absolutely matt, leaves a nice muted silk finish. Was that a result of the stain or did you wax?
              The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

Very nice project.
                Thank you for sharing.

It's all fun
                Terry
                Craftsman 18"
                Delta 46-460 lathe

https://www.facebook.com/SillyLillyBowsAndMore

Comment

Nice job Bobman. Very tidy and nice choice of colours.
                  Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Comment

Thanks again all. I used "select" pine that you can find at a place like Home Depot. It's a bit pricier than the knot filled kind you mention. I chose 3/4" pine that was already milled and ready to be cut. The colors came from stains which I applied before gluing the piece together, but I finished it with a matte craft sealant with a semi-gloss quality after gluing. 2-3 coats. If you want to test, try the matte finish and glossy finish too on test wood to make sure you have the effect you like before doing it on your piece.

Comment

ah, never heard of a matte craft sealant before (only used sanding sealer, related?), only silk finishes I ever used in the past were acrylic laquers, must see if there is a brand over here in UK I can try out.

Thanks

My Google+

Comment

Very nice!
                        Rolf
                        RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Great looking shield Bobman, I love the staining and the cuts look very tight. I have promised to do my Grandaughter a shield to give her headmaster when she leaves her primary school to go into secondary education in July. This has given me extra inspiration to do the job. Thanks for sharing.
                          Mick
                          I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. Winston Churchill

Comment

@Sunlion - I used a paint on acrylic "varnish" by Delta Ceramcoat, which I can find at any hobby store around my area... there are other brands too, but that's what I have. They even have non-toxic versions for when I want to make toys with a nice finish. It hardens/drys into a plastic-like coat, the more coats you apply the more plastic-y it gets.

Mostly I've been using this cause I had it around from my other crafting interests. I've tried the spray on varieties and just prefer this kind for this type of project.

Comment

Ah thanks, I used acrylic laquers a lot in my plaques, coasters, flatwork etc, both satin and gloss. The varnish you used leaves a very nice lustre, must try that sometime. I do prefer paint-on for pyro, not sure how it would work out on interior cuts though, as the runoff could be a pain.

So far I have only used oil and wax on Scrollwork. Once I start cutting proper I can experiment anyways.

Thanks for the info.

My Google+

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X