Latest Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest Attempt

Well, here's my latest project waiting to be framed. It's my first hack at Renaissance type art so it's a little "busy". I used artist oils, wood stain and shoe polish to color it. The next one should be a little better. The oils didn't work as I thought they would so I had to go a little heavier on the color than I wanted. I tried to thin them down to a stain but the oil soaked into the wood and left the pigment on top.....so I just painted the segments that represent clothing. Criticism is requested and welcomed!! OOPS....the file is too big!!! Back in a minute with the attachment!!
    If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Hey... I got all excited to see this.... hope you get the file attached soon. Have to head back in the shop.

Take care
    Toni

Comment

Third Try

OK.....Here it is...I hope!!!!
      Attached Files

Comment

Well Done

Very nice Neal! I enjoy doing the life forms, as you know, and like the contours to her face. I particularly like how you did her eyes!

Look forward to seeing more of this sort.

Take care
        Toni

Comment

nice job Neal..at first glance I must say that I was thinking that Toni was giving lessons in her spare time..it reminded me of some of her projects.. that really is a compliment to you as well since I think her life forms are awesome

If you really meant it about wanting feedback..here's a couple of my thoughts..i doubt that they're worth even a penny LOL..I would tone down the lips a bit..and watch the really light areas on her flesh..need to be a bit darker (not much) to blend better (again,just my thoughts)..

I totally love the way you did her eyes and will be studying that carefully (big smile!! I'll give ya credit as the teacher of that if I can get it right)..Really really love her eyes

did you cut the indiv pieces of blue? well done!! she looks like a swimmer to me and I would have liked to see more shoulder..but then I wouldn't have the pleasure of simply imagining which your way encourages

well done!! Thanks for sharing the pics and I hope that my comments were not offensive

Sue Chrestensen

Comment

Thanks Toni....I really had fun with this one and want to experiment a lot more with the artist oils. I really don't know where I'm headed with this but I guess I'll know when I get there!!! LOL!!

Comment

Not sure what "Renaissance type art" is supposed to be....
              but your work is nice to look at.....pete
              Pete Ripaldi

---------------------------------
              "Insert Clever Tag Line Here..."

Comment

No Sue, your comments were not offensive....they are what I'm looking for. The image is my hack at reproducing a cropped photo of part of one of Michaelangelo's paintings so that's how much shoulder that was showing. Yes, the hood is made up of several segments which were individually painted. It isn't glued up yet so the relief isn't evident in the photo. You're right about the facial highlights too. I really sort of cut this one "on the fly" so to speak. I learned a lot from it. As far as the eyes go......I sort of just "winged" them too...LOL!!!

Comment

Wonderful work there Neal :-)

Charlie,
                  Charlie
                  "Everything Happens for a Reason"
                  Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

Neal, she is fantastic.very very wonderful. I love the debth of the painting. looks almost, velvet like. and I too love the eyes. I think the eyes aways tell the story of a mood,or attitude.they have great debth to them.
                    On the painting thing, boy i am not a exspert here at all. but in my other crafts, we use gesso, don't know if i spelled that right. but it leaves a good foundation to paint on. works on most all surfaces. wood, mettale, cloth, not sure about plactic. but is some good stuff. it helps when you wont the true color to come through. not sure how it works with stains, but i think i will try it myself. I wish you, and tonie and sue lived closer to me, and gave classes. I would love to learn to paint better. Wow, you are all artis. your friend Evie

Comment

Neal,

That is very nice indeed.
                      You did a great job, and I like the colours.

On a side note: I just got my copy of SSW&C: in the picture for the open house advertisement why did you bite that lemon right before the picture

Regards,
                      Marcel
                      http://marleb.com
                      DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Marcel, Evie and everyone else!!! I didn't bite a lemon Marcel...LOL..that's just the result of a dominant gene in the Moore family I suppose. My Father always looked like he was angry too. I'm just one of those folks who can't fake a smile...but when I do smile it's REAL!!

Comment

AWESOME! The eyes are Fantastic. What are the overall dimensions of the piece? (won't fit on a 5x5 will it?)

Tim
                          "All it Takes For the Forces of EVIL to Rule Is For Enough GOOD People To DO NOTHING!"

Saws: Excaliber 30; Dewalt 788 'Twins', Makita SJ401 (Retired), Grizzly G1012 18" Bandsaw

Comment

First let me say I am constantly amazed at the talent we have in this community.
                            Although scrolling has been around for hundreds of years I really think the past few are expanding horizons.

Sue and Toni are so qualified here I hesitate to say anything. Specially since I do very little finishing.
                            But here goes anyway.
                            I love the eyes, they are alive.
                            I love the lips! You seem to have some depth in there that gives them 3 dimensions.
                            The folds in the fabric really come through. I really like the cloth over her arm.

I feel the skin tones and the other colours are a little out of balance.
                            Like you said it is hard working with different media.
                            Either the skin tones need to be bolder or the colours more muted.

One final comment.

I wish I could do half as good as that! Awesome job.
                            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Thanx Carl....I appreciate the comments. Core Eagle...the piece is 16 inches high by 14 inches wide.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• meflick
                                Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                                by meflick
                                got mine in the mail today. Thanks.Cute and befitting. Now I need to know how it’s made/what it’s made from. (On everyone gets theirs of course.)...
                                Today, 08:21 PM
                              • Jo Labre
                                Reply to Joining the new tool frenzy
                                by Jo Labre
                                At the time I thought "Ah, spit!" (or words like that) and just threw the blade in the garbage. It was the #5 size blade. I suspect it would cost more to have it done than the cost of a new blade. The owners manual is not very helpful, the wording is awkward, having been 'translated' into...
                                Today, 11:13 AM
                              • hotshot
                                by hotshot
                                The brazing process doesn't look too bad. I have seen the welders built into the industrial bandsaws, so out of curiosity, I looked that up and that process is pretty cool to watch also, though trying that on something this small would probably light the whole thing up....
                                Today, 10:14 AM
                              • Rolf
                                by Rolf
                                Jo, I did a bit of research on the web, and there are lots of videos of people silver soldering broken blades. In hindsight I remember I had made a jig eons ago to do just that, when I still had a small Craftsman bench top three wheeler....
                                Today, 09:32 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                                by Rolf
                                I haven't even decided what to make!
                                Today, 09:27 AM
                              Working...
                              X