No announcement yet.

Starting a new project - Lola & Moustique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My, my Henri - you are one brave lady! but the only way to achieve something new is dive in and have a go and your 'go' is looking pretty darn good at the moment.

Keep at it and keep posting photo's because as you are working I'm learning!

Hey, just to relax your mind a little after those 15 hours of hard work....
    I wonder if this reminds you of someone

Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

AWESOME!! It is amazing to see what a skilled person can do to transform wood into art. WOW!
      Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Comment

That is looking fantastic! Way to go!!
        T
        Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Wow, Henri! When you go, you sure do go! It's a fabulous, fabulous project. I envy your ability (and Janette's) to design such complex projects, and to be able to then make them so well! It's just beautiful and your customer is going to be delighted.

Lou
          www.woodbylouise.ca

Comment

That is coming out fantastic Henriette! The shaping is great. You're doing an excellent job. How big is the overall piece?

Jim...I resemble that remark
            Janette
            www.square-designs.com

Comment

Ahhh thanks again for your comments... makes me feel good. One day, I will be confident about myself
              Janette, the overall project dimensions are 24 in. wide X 18 in. tall. I wish I could have make it 36 inches wide instead of 24! The dog parts size are acceptable to me, but the cat face, was a real challenge for me. I must have redone that "puzzle" 100 times while shaping each little pieces! Glad this part is over now.

Yesterday, I reshaped the dog's ears. They needed to be more concave. I also insert a small dowel in each eye to make the black pupils. Then I took a picture, to see on the computer where and what size should I make the little white dot in each eye. I used the "eraser" in Paint shop pro to make the test for white dot placement. You can see it on the pic. Every picture I take help me figure out what improvement are required when I go back in the shop. I don't know why, but a picture is highlighting areas that I can't seem to see when I look at the real project?! Go figure!
              Lola et moustique wip11.jpg

I still have lots of sanding to make every pieces look smooth... Guess what I will do next week-end?
              Henriette

"People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be"
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              HCorbeil Wood Mosaics web page

Comment

I like taking pics too - seeing it on the computer makes areas jump out you don't notice when working so close to a project. What I do for cat faces is put the "face" only on a scrap piece of wood with 2 sided tape and rough shape with a dremel to get the feel for what the shape is supposed to be. Basically like you would carving something. Once the shape starts to "appear", I'll start sanding the individual pieces. It's really coming along! I would have thought it was a lot bigger than that. Those pieces must be really tiny!
                Janette
                www.square-designs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
                  Then I took a picture, to see on the computer where and what size should I make the little white dot in each eye. I used the "eraser" in Paint shop pro to make the test for white dot placement. You can see it on the pic. Every picture I take help me figure out what improvement are required when I go back in the shop. I don't know why, but a picture is highlighting areas that I can't seem to see when I look at the real project?! Go figure!

I still have lots of sanding to make every pieces look smooth... Guess what I will do next week-end?
                  what a great idea! Then how do you actually get the highlight in the eye? do you paint it on or drill a hole and put a tiny piece of dowel??

T
                  Theresa

Comment

@Teresa, I will use acrylic paint to do the little white dot in the eyes, and apply it using a toothpick. I do this as one of the last step, after gluing the entire project.
                    Henriette

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

More "work in progress" pictures to share...

Made some good progress over the week end where I finished the dusty part of intarsia! Sanding is over!

Also ebonized the pieces that needed to become darker. I chose a variety of wood species in order to get various dark/black shadows: peruvian walnut provides a real dark black, black walnut also gives a nice black, red oak is allowing the grain to show really well and doesn't turn as dark as walnut.
                      Lola et moustique wip12.jpg
                      I applied one coat of water based poly on the white pieces of the cat. All other pieces received a coat of sealer. I rarely glue pieces together without first applying a sealer because it protects the wood from glue stain, which I have a tendency to mess-up with.
                      Lola et moustique wip13.jpg

Dog face and chest edge glued:
                      Lola et moustique wip15.jpg
                      Portion not glued yet:
                      Lola et moustique wip14.jpg

Next week-end: finish gluing, make the "floor" and the backboard (this will be one piece of wood) and finally glue the project on it.
                      Henriette

Comment

You are doing a great job Henriette. Am looking forward to seeing the completed projects.
                        Dennis

Comment

Got it done! Thank you all for your support... I have done it in almost one month... or 40-50 hours of work?? (I haven't count my time precisely).

The back board & floor are one piece of wood. We used a router around the edges of the board. Then I painted the edge black as plywood edge is not really nice to see.

First pic is before the finish. Second pic is with spray finish on. Still need to sand a little and apply last coat but it won't change its appearance.

Hope you like it. I do
                          Attached Files
                          Henriette

Comment

Fantastic job Henriette!!
                            T
                            Theresa

Comment

Wow! I don't really have the words. Amazing, beautiful, outstanding it shows that you truly love what you are doing... I'm in awe... only 40-50 hrs? What a great thread I've learned much from following it! Thanks for sharing!
                              Jerry
                              Jerry
                              Life's funny if you laugh at it!

http://dedijerry.blogspot.com/
                              http://www.etsy.com/shop/DediWoodworks

Comment

Absolutely great! Love it!
                                Anne
                                Anneh

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse