No announcement yet.

Starting a new project - Lola & Moustique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice job! and WOW - that cat is small!!!
    T
    Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

G'day Henri,
      That sure is small. You blokes have me buggered how you manage to hold those itsy bitsy pieces and sand them. I did the rose frame from the mag and, boy there were some small pieces. My fingers ended up being stumps
      I look forward to seeing the completed piece.
      Regards
      John
      "The Golden Mile"

“In my acting, I have to identify with something in the character. The big tough boy on the side of right—that’s me. Simple themes. Save me from the nuances. All I do is sincerity, and I’ve been selling the hell out of that ever since I started.
      John Wayne
      Some of my Stuff
      Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers ***.

Comment

First, I want to thank you all for your support... I was full of energy today to tackle the dog face! Not too many small parts this time, so it was less painful. I am not finish with the face but so far so good. JohnB... I am not good at handling small pieces either, I am suffering because I did my design without thinking ahead!

I took some WIP pics but guess what, I left the camera in the shop and I am too lazy to go back in there to pick it up LOL so no pics for you before Sunday (as I am going to visit my mom tomorrow and won't be making any sawdust)...

@southpaw: I'll post a pic of the pattern and list the woods used on a future post. The list of woods I used is in my shop... and I am too lazy to go back in there to pick it up LOL

Will update you on progress on Sunday
        Henriette

"People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be"
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        HCorbeil Wood Mosaics web page

Comment

Wow Henri! What a project! Can't wait to see more.
          Anne
          Anneh

Comment

That's coming along great Henriette! Cat faces are NOT easy to shape. I have to sit and look at them cut out for a few days before starting them. They are hard to do, and even harder to do well - yours is super!!
            Janette
            www.square-designs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Janette View Post
              Cat faces are NOT easy to shape. I have to sit and look at them cut out for a few days before starting them. They are hard to do, and even harder to do well
              It's good to know that I am not alone taking a long time to shape a cat face... but it is also scary to know that our cat lady "Janette" thinks it is not easy Anyhow, thanks you all for the words of encouragement!

For a change, I worked on the doggie today and Friday. As promised, here are some more pics.
              I have put a color version of my plan to give an idea of what I am aiming at. I have used some wood species that will be ebonized to make them black or darker. These are labeled with a E on the dog face picture.
              Lola et moustique plan.jpgLola et moustique wip2.jpg

I have cut several shims to amplify the 3D effect, which you can see better on this picture: Lola et moustique wip4.jpg

I don't know how to sand the cat front legs and I need some help here as me and my husband disagree on the approach I have to take to shape them. I am thinking that the cat feet are closer to me (the viewer) and therefore the legs should be thinner close to the cat body, and get thicker towards the feet. My husband is telling me that cat feet are small and that I should sand the legs thinner going towards the feet. His approach makes sense too but we can be both right?! Any idea?

Here is the overall project... Lola et moustique wip3.jpgI still have lots to cut but I am thinking of assembling the cat first then trace around to cut the adjacent pieces to make the dog. This way, I would ensure a better fit between the dog and the cat.
              Henriette

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

Spend a day away from this place and look what you miss! FABULOUS PROJECT! I just love the picture, that great big whopping dog and little cat that appears to feel utterly safe and conted. You're doing a wonderful job, just wonderful, on both the design and the making. I can't believe the progres you've made. Yes, this group can be wonderfully motivating which is why I started hanging around here.

I'm not going to offer you any shaping advice because I've never made anything like that. Janette's the best one for that and I'm sure she'll make her way here sooner or later. Besides, I know you'll get it right, you always do. You have a natural gift for shaping. The only thing I will say (just thought of it) is that I spend time staring at a pattern (sometimes a lot of time), visualizing it in three dimensions, and then go from there. If I can't do that, I've got trouble, and it usually means the design needs altering (or my head does, which would be challenging).

Just one more thing .....

GO, HENRI, GO!

lOU
                www.woodbylouise.ca

Comment

keep it up henri,lovely pattern.
                  not doing much
                  and busy doing it

having fun making sawdust.

http://www.customcutz4you.webs.com/

Comment

Wow Henriette,
                    Not only have You done a wonderful job of transforming the picture into a pattern, your wood choice, cutting and shaping is making this dog and cat come to life before our eyes. I can't wait to see the finished project. The customer is going to love it.

I am joining the cheering section.

Tim

Comment

Hi all, worked on the project today and I think I figured out why I have a hard time deciding what to do with the cat legs. Here is what I think: The piece of wood that I am using for the floor under the dog & cat, "should" also be thicker in front, and thinner towards the back (same as JGR Seaside Serenity Project in the Summer 2010 issue of SSWC... Therefore, in my mind, the cat legs should have a similar sanding angle being thicker to the front, and thinner towards the cat body. Right? Please tell me what you are thinking... I'd like to get your ideas before making my final decision.

The thing is I won't sand the floor with an angle... it will be flat and equal thickness all over. So, I think I will do the same with the cat legs and put them equal thickness from front to back. I guess this way, I can't be wrong??? Can I? Janette, Pete, Jim, anyone, any idea??? pleeeease.
                      Henriette

Comment

Here's my 2 cents. If you were looking face on at them - the paws would be thicker as they would be closer to you. Here, you're actually kind of looking down at them so there isn't as much of a difference between the front and back of the leg relative to where you're standing looking at them in the photo. I wouldn't worry too much about thickness of what they're laying on - except that it's thinner than the animals.

Best advice I can offer on the cat - if you have one - go and study it from that angle. One thing is - and it's always my biggest problem is ...cat's have cheekbones!

Remember - it's not so much the thicknesses as the "illusion" of depth.
                        Janette
                        www.square-designs.com

Comment

Wonderful start - the cat looks real - the eyes are perfect.
                          DeWalt 788

Comment

Very nice star Henriette, looking forward to seeing the finished product.
                            Merle
                            SSG US Army Retired.
                            [email protected]
                            http://www.etsy.com/your/listings

Comment

Thanks for your 2 cents Janette, I really appreciate it. Your explanation made me realized that I was looking at them from an angle and not like if I was having my face on the floor!!!
                              Thanks also for highlighting the cheekbones... I will see if I can shape these cheeks a bit.
                              More to come... next week-end
                              Henriette

Comment

Here is an update on my progress. Spent about 15 hours in the shop over the last 3 days and I am almost done with the shaping. Some parts of the mosaic are advanced at different stage:

Cat face:
                                My attempt to give the cat some cheeks:
                                Lola et moustique wip8.jpg
                                I did ebonize wenge and walnut to turn them darker / black. Also applied first coat of sealer on them and put a coat of water based varnish on the basswood (for the white pieces), maple and aromatic cedar, as well as on the poplar for the eyes. The pupil was made black with a black marker, as well as the small parts around the eyes. I needed some stability to trace the contour around the cat head so I did edge glue it already.

Cat body: roughly shaped. Wood used are basswood, walnut. Finally decided to shape the leg without any angle. I may need to decrease their overall thickness but I am not sure as of yet.

Dog:
                                Attached Files
                                Henriette

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X