starting a new project - A red rose for my mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting a new project - A red rose for my mom

I am writing these lines for the second time... lost my post of the first attempt! grrr

Some people asked me to share progress pics as I go on this new one. It is my first attempt at making a rose, so bear with me, this may end up being a longer journey then you think

All the pieces of wood are cut and fit together. I taped pieces together to increase stability as I adjusted the fit between pieces. The rose (and the buds) are made of bloodwood(red), bubinga (dark pink) and cherry wood.

This is a Lucille Crabtree pattern that I modified to get 2 rose buds in the composition rather then just one.

The thicker pieces of wood are 1 " thick. I used shims underneath certain parts to make them even thicker (1 3/8").

I just started some rough shaping, and I don't know why, but this time I am going from the thickest piece to the lowest as I felt more comfortable that way.
    Don't hesitate if you have questions/comments. I am sure I can benefit from eveyone's experience
    Attached Files
    Henriette

"People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    HCorbeil Wood Mosaics web page

Great Henri!" -Yippee! - we got you to bite the WIP bullet. I'm going to enjoy this one!

A couple of questions please?

How wide is the rose? it looks pretty big from the photos

When you finish this tell me if you think it would have been better going even thicker than you have. It seems to me that you might be in for a challenge to stop this from looking a little flat although knowing how skilful you are I'm sure you'll find a way

Keep the photos coming please - they are great!
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

Yippee.....got my coffee, slippers and another WIP to learn from. Thank you, life is good. Carry on Henriette.....don't rush, just hurry up.
      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

secret....Lucille used a bandsaw on those really thick pieces and sanded up to the line. shhhhh don't tell anyone
        Janette
        www.square-designs.com

Comment

Henriette,
          That rose is looking beautiful. I appreciate the WIP photos so much and the explaination of what you are doing. I can't believe how much I am learning from this group.
          Jackie

Comment

Henriette,
            Can't wait to follow this thread! And to see the finished project! Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing with us!
            Anne
            Anneh

Comment

secret....Lucille used a bandsaw on those really thick pieces and sanded up to the line. shhhhh don't tell anyone
              Janette -I promise NEVER to tell!

PS - Now I can see where an oscillating sander is a must have toy!

** A cutting tip ** for scrollers who don't own bandsaws or prefer to cut thick on their scrollsaws.

A while back I bought some No 2 FD-HD blades from Mike's Workshop - advertised as "The Blade That Could" for very hard or thick wood. This morning this post got me curious and as my bandsaw is currently out of action I thought I'd try these blades out on some 1 7/8" mahogany stock. At a nice slow and easy speed they are very controllable and work a treat!

Here's a shot of one of these monsters compared against a #1 FD-UR blade which I've been using to cut my magpie project. Slightly different eh!

Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by jim_mex View Post
                How wide is the rose? it looks pretty big from the photos

When you finish this tell me if you think it would have been better going even thicker than you have.
                @Jim... yes this is a large project. It is heavy too! I 'll need a super hook to hang it on the wall! It is 24 " wide by 19" tall.

As for thickness, I am hoping that I will have enough thickness to shape it and give it a nice 3D look... I can't remember how thick Janette went on her rose. I guess I better find that post!!!
                Henriette

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

Originally posted by Wood Dog View Post
                  Yippee.....got my coffee, slippers and another WIP to learn from. Thank you, life is good. Carry on Henriette.....don't rush, just hurry up.
                  You made me laugh WD! Can I join you with my slippers & coffee too? I'll be back in the shop tomorrow to continue the shaping process!
                  Henriette

Comment

Thanks Henri -for the info.

That sure is a biggie! I guess if you get stuck for hanging it you could always turn it into a great door panel!

I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress. Have fun!
                    Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Henriette, thank you for the WIP's. Having seen your work I know it will turn out great.Am sure mom will treasure it. Will be enjoying the progress. saw dust
                      Dennis

Comment

Great work, Henri, I know your mom would treasure it. If I still had my mom, I would attempt this one also.
                        Fran

Comment

Beautiful work, Henri. I stand in awe of your expertise. Thanks for the WIP.

Jan

Comment

Beautiful, beautiful! I love this piece. I'm looking for the pattern but so far, I'm empty handed. Oh well. . . .
                            You rose is lovely.
                            DeWalt 788

Comment

I've been making lots of dust today. Took lots of pictures and took me forever to decide which one I should post here?!

My goal today was to increase the rounding/shaping of the petals of the main rose. As I worked this through, I assemble the rose, step back, mark the areas that need more sanding with a red pen, sand it, put back in the assembly and redo the process over and over again... I keep referring to Janette picture of the roses she made. I also had an artificial rose to look at from different angle, to help me figure out what shaping should look like.

I am happy with the progress made so far. Next steps, I'll shape the leaves and the two rose buds. Then, I am sure I will do touch up here and there to adjust shaping where required.

I tried to show you where I put shims as you can see in one of the pictures. It's important that the shims are not visible from the side of the project. When I did my wood selection, I already had targeted which pieces were going to be shimmed and by how much.

As for the pattern, it seems that it is not for sale anymore. I know Janette was trying to find out who bought the rights of Lucille's patterns. But there are other nice roses pattern out there.

Suggestions / comments are always welcome.
                              Attached Files
                              Henriette

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X