Whimsical house teapot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whimsical house teapot

Hi all! Been working on that funny little teapot on and off for the past weeks. Weather was too nice to spend too much time "inside" the shop!! Thanks MikeyD for your pattern! I'm doing this for my sister in law who felt in love with it when she saw Mike's piece.

I just assembled it today. Wanted to do it last night but we had a "special guest" on our property!?! A black bear not a small baby one but the biggest bear I have ever seen in my life!!! His back was higher then our picnic table!!! My wood shop is about 40 feet from the house and the bear was in the middle of the path, looking for food in our garbage can. Even with a closed cover, this wasn't enough to stop him. This was a stressful moment... I prefer squirrels and raccoons by far!!! HOPE HE WON'T COME BACK TONIGHT!

Back to my intarsia piece, I still need to varnish it. Wood used are: spanish cedar for house facade, teapot handle & spout, Lime tree for the fence, shedua (dark brown) and wild cherry (similar to maple) for roof & chimney, pau amarello & walnut for windows (I glued the walnut on top of the window).

This was fun to make! Hope you enjoy!
    Attached Files
    Henriette

"People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    HCorbeil Wood Mosaics web page

Henriette, so cute tea pot. glad you finaly got her done. and about the bear. YIKES. don't put food in the trash any more. wash your containers out. and that might help. but gosh they can smell food on new pans.HEHE. be safe, and soooo be careful. your friend Evie

Comment

Henriette your tea pot looks great. As to the bear you made the smart choice to for go a trip to the shop! Take care of youself, I am sure I will need some more of your patterns. lol. saw dust
      Dennis

Comment

Hi Henriette,

That is WAY CUTE and you used some woods I never heard of. As for bears, be careful. I guess we have bears here in southeast TN, but I have never seen one.
        Denny
        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

This is so cute! And I've not heard of some of these woods before but they are perfect for this.
          Anne
          Anneh

Comment

Wonderful looking project Henriette! Thanks so much for sharing with us. Also, thanks for being safe so that you can share more with us too! *hug*
            Dragyn (Oh my! Another Mike! )

It's a good thing my head is attached to my ... ... Has anyone seen my head?!?

Comment

Hi Enriqueta ! - that's a real cute teapot and being a Brit I certainly know how to recognize a good teapot when i see one

Just satisfy one curiosity i have. Is the dark wood above the doorway the natural colour of the Spanish cedar or have the owners been stoking up a wood fire with a blocked chimney and the smoke's been puthering out of the front door?

As to your close encounter of the bear kind - I guess i can get you to practise your Spanish a teeny bit if i say that incident must have been OSO scary for you!

But being a practical guy I do know how to stop him/her coming around your garden....

Sneak out at night and throw some of the head and guts leftovers from your fishing trips into the next door neighbour's garden!!!!
              Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
              - Albert Einstein

Comment

Oh, Henriette, now that is just too cute. Never seen a pattern close to it.
                Great job on the pattern, Mikey.
                Fran

Comment

Henriette,
                  That is such a cute teapot. After hearing your problem with the bear, I will not complain anymore about the squirrel that ate my electrical wiring in my shop. Better than eating me....I am scared to go out to the shop because of the squirrels, I can just imagine me after having seen a bear. I would never go out of the house again.
                  Jackie

Comment

Thank you for your nice comments... you know how to make someone happy.
                    As for the wood species, I'll double check. Maybe I mixed up some french and english names?!
                    @Jim : ROFL too funny! Love the fish guts idea Ha Ha But was is worst? a neigbor that would want to kill me or a "gigantesco oso negro" who is looking for food??? Not sure the unhappy neighbor is a better solution LOL

and to satisfy the curiosity you have about the dark wood above the doorway... what can I say? it sure looks the way you describe it!!! I kind of liked the wave shape in the wood grain (there is a knot in the back) because it was close to the roof shape. Unfortunately it turned much darker then I thought... tea must be leaking from the lid

@Jackie: I was sure thinking about you and your squirrel story after the bear left... I don't like squirrel inside the garage either, I prefer them outside by much!!! With the bear, I think this is the first time I am scared for my life. We even closed all the doors at night cause we were not sure if a very hungry bear would attempt to come in the house through the "mosquito net" patio door?!? Anybody knows?

He did not come back last night... stay tuned!
                    Henriette

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

That is soooo cute! Trust you to come up with a unique design that works. What a perfect gift for a country gal who is also a die-hard tea drinker (and we have plenty of those here in Nova Scotia). Great wood choices, as usual.

Bears! Wow. One of the disadvantes of country living! I have yet to see one up close, so you're ahead of me on that score (and can stay there, thank you). We have plenty of racoons, even one that came in through the cat door and ate all the cats' food (which was a lot!). My cats did not like that one bit. They stayed several feet away, but growled furiously and I never saw such fat tails! The growling alerted us to the fact that something was up and the coon exited (albeit unhurriedly) when we arrived. We also have regular visits from the deer and see red foxes from time to time and rabbits. My biggest worry is coyotes. Heard them yipping away the other night and a chilling sound it is. Makes we worry about the deer and the rabbits and the coons. They're getting more prevalent all the time.

Stay safe, okay?

Lou
                      www.woodbylouise.ca

Comment

Hey Henri - thanks for the explanation of the tea stain. Also wanted to confirm that I did'nt write the comment in anyway to criticize your teapot in case it may have come across a bit that way. You know me - I just have a curious mind!!
                        Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                        - Albert Einstein

Comment

Henriette,
                          I would still be scared the bear would come in through a window, even the glass and the glass door. I am a little baby when it comes to animals. They are so cute to watch but not too close to me. The one squirrel that came up to the sliding door made me realize he was headed into the house and scared of nothing. Even with the dogs barking and growling right on the other side of the glass, he just stared at them. Then my grandson tried to open the door and let him in. I could just imagine the dogs and squirrel running all over chasing each other and tearing up the house, and the two year old giggling and me screaming. What a mess that would have been. I have heard of deer jumping through glass doors to go inside a house. I don't mean to scare you, but I would be terrified of a bear. I would not leave any food or bread or cookies or anything out on counters or in closets. I would keep all in fridge, just in case. If you have a pantry, you could put stuff like that in a closed cooler so maybe the bear would not be able to smell it. Yes, I would go overboard, but as I said, I am a baby.
                          Good Luck and keep us posted.
                          Jackie

Comment

No new bear episode so far... keeping the doors closed at night and we have turned ON a big spotlight outside so we can better see the surrounding before going out when it is dark. We'll play it safe for a while.

@Jim: please don't worry about your comments! You made me laugh when I read you... I didn't think you were looking for an answer really on that house facade piece but provided one anyway. I appreciate everyone's feedback, good or bad. They are good "eye openers" sometimes and this help us looking at things from a different angle. Keep the feedback coming!!
                            Henriette

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X