Bullfrog... cute creature!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullfrog... cute creature!

After the froggie challenge, I was ready to make other kinds of frogs. As kids love frogs and I am preparing for my "local art show" in July, I thought this would be a kewl idea. So decided to make some bullfrogs and other "regular" frogs. Only posting here one of them with some side views so you can see how the shaping was done (and some defects on what I have made!) I will let you find them...I see a few.
    I must admit that the face and the back leg were a real shaping and sanding challenge... I should have adapted the design differently to ease that step (started with a coloring book image).

Wood used: Poplar (green), Spruce (white), Pau amarello (yellow), Wenge (dark brown). Painted the pupil black and added a white dot of paint over. Comments are welcome.
    Attached Files
    Henriette

"People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    HCorbeil Wood Mosaics web page

Hi Henriette,

Ok, I give up. I don't see anything wrong. The bullfrog looks great. The side view close-up helps with shaping concepts. Thanks for showing.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Looks fine to me Henriette. Thank you for posting it. saw dust
      Dennis

Comment

Hi Henri - My, you have been keeping the board busy today!

Spot the defects eh! - is this some kind of test?

Well I agree with the guys.- Bully looks ok and amusing but i do think you chose a really difficult design to shape by using a 3/4 view, particularly for the face. Unless he's about to spit out a bad tasting fly out the side of his mouth whilst looking the other way I would have gone for a wider mouth.

Whatever, this is sure to be snapped up at your Art Show!
        Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
        - Albert Einstein

Comment

Henriette, I'm like the others, don't see any defects anywhere. He is just a cute, ugly frog. The way they are supposed to be. Good Job. It should sell quick. Perk
          PERK

Comment

Bluebird, I am with the others, it is a cute little froggie. I guess if I had done it, I would have done more shaping on the throat area. It is hard to tell in your picture if you shaped it much or not. Or, maybe bull frogs are different. Sure would like to see the other ones.
            Fran

Comment

I think hes cute! Nicely done.The only thing I noticed was that one spot needed to be sanded down a smidge more (the big spot nearest the butt end of him).Otherwise, it looks perfect!
              Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Originally posted by lucky788scroller View Post
                ... I noticed was that one spot needed to be sanded down a smidge more (the big spot nearest the butt end of him).Otherwise, it looks perfect!
                @Dale: I "spoted" that spot too on the picture! Didn't see it before. I think the spot turned a little when I glued it... I wanted to glue all the spots before shaping but the wood grain wasn't the same on the Wenge then it is on the Poplar, so I did not.
                @Fran: I agree with your comment on shaping the throat a little more. I didn't want to sand it thinner then where the front left leg connect to the body and I guess I was a little too "prudent".

Thanks everyone for your comments.
                WREBBIT! LOL
                Henriette

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

Going from a clouring book picture to this lovely intarsia piece is a very nice accomplishment! Outside fo what others mentioned I see an excellent project that is sure to grace some lucky youngsters's room!
                  Dragyn (Oh my! Another Mike! )

It's a good thing my head is attached to my ... ... Has anyone seen my head?!?

Comment

I just don't like the mouth..is it the mouth I don't like? The cut off to the right. It's completely un-necessary. If that cut and shaping wasn't there, it would completely change the frog. The seam between the frog and his neck represents his mouth well enough on it's own. Otherwise if that cut is his mouth, he looks like he just took a Tyson punch to the side of the face. Basically, it all relates back to the coloring book and the face being turned sideways and head on at the same time. It's a nice simple pattern, definitely something you can pull a profit on. Hope I don't sound harsh..you asked what I thought was wrong with it, so this is my answer. Your cutting, fitting, shaping, it all looks good, it's the guy that drew it that is on the pipe I guess.
                    Jeff Powell

Comment

Hi again Henri - I'm glad Jeff also picked on the mouth. I was starting to feel a small guilt complex coming on.

One curious thing though. I often spend time with our 7 year old watching his favourite cartoons on Cartoon Network. He loves them although to me many are disgusting in how they concentrate on characters with runny noses, vomiting everywhere and generally behaving grossly - obviously a generation gap here ! And one thing a lot of these characters have in common are strange facial expressions speaking out of the side of their face. Maybe your 'bully' inherited this trait!

Methinks best stick to Disney type bullfrogs eh!

K-ROC, K-ROC, K-ROOOOOOC!
                      Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

@Jim & Jeff: I agree with you on the mouth, I think the line was there to show the lip of the frog. I shouldn't have cut there... shaping alone would have done the job OR a full cut to make it a lip all the way across the mouth, could have worked too.
                        I should have asked for input before making 2 frogs the exact same way ...you all come up with great suggestions and comments. Thanks!
                        Henriette

Comment

Hi Henri -
                          I know you like me to put a smile on your face - but how's about me putting one on 'bully's face too!

PS - Watch for 10 sec from opening this post
                          Unfortunately this will keep repeating - much as frogs and toads do!

Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

@Jim: Ha Ha Ha this is so kewl! I have no clue how you did that and I am impressed! Boy oh boy, you will never stop making me laugh! You are the "greatest humourus therapist" I have ever known!
                            Henriette

Comment

I think it's fantastic! I would love to see pics of the rest of your frogs tho!
                              Great work!
                              Anne
                              Anneh

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X