Pattern Transfer Made Simple!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pattern Transfer Made Simple!

I had been printing out patterns on paper, then using spray-on glue to adhere to the wood. Then I thought, why not use a full sheet Avery address label, available at any office supply store. I tried it and will never go back. I put the label into my printer, print the pattern, remove the backing, and stick to the wood piece.
    After scrolling, I put the piece on the belt sander and the label is easily removed!

welcome to the forum. A lot of people use this method.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. There are all kinds of methods people use. It is good that you tried different methods and found one that you like.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Welcome Charlie. Bruce, better known as SLRA on here would go crazy if I did that. He says paper dulls sandpaper. When we buy wood, I remove the stickers first before sanding, SLRA - straight lines right angles. He has earned his nickname. Where are you from?
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Can't you just peel off the label after cutting the pattern, or is it meant for permanent adhesion?

I'd be concerned that the adhesive on the underside of the label would gum up the the belt, and/or that the adhesive from the label would be driven into the wood by the heat created while sanding, which could create a problem when applying the finish.

I usually use mineral spirits whenever there is a problem removing adhesive from the wood.
          Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Charlie K. Welcome to the forum. As you move along with your scrolling adventures you will discover many different ways for putting on patterns. I agree with Carole the only difference is that I am not a fan of solvents. For most projects especially delicate fretwork I put down a layer of removable Duck brand clear shelf liner. Then stick the pattern to that. It peels of very easily. I use a Xyron machine to put the adhesive on the back of my pattern. The only time I put a pattern directly on the wood is when doing Intarsia as I do sand it off during shaping. I have never had an issue with a gummed up sanding drum.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thank you for all your suggestions!
              So far I haven't had difficulties with my sanding belt. I do peel off as much as possible before sanding. These labels seem to use less adhesive, more evenly spread, than the spray on adhesive.

I am in Versailles, Kentucky (between Lexington and Frankfort)

Comment

We would love to see some pictures of what you are making
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I use the Xyron machine exclusively with the repositionable cartridge on bare wood. This method works really well for me. I have had issues removing the pattern if is the on wood for an extremely long time " 6 months or more". Minimal expense no mess and what is most important no pattern lifting from wood while scrolling.

I have tried all different procedures most of which were suggestions such as "blue painters' tape, shipping tape, and contact cement" from others on the forum with limited success.
                  cwmagee
                  aka Fibber
                  Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim McDonald
                    Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                    by Jim McDonald
                    Used a 788 for many years. It now resides with a crafty family friend.
                    Questions are answered freely around here and no one has any tricks they don't freely share.
                    Yesterday, 09:08 PM
                  • mtwoodguy
                    Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                    by mtwoodguy
                    Welcome! John! From Reno NV. A long time 788 user (I'm94) I'm sure you will get many happy hours from the repairs you placed on the machine.
                    Yesterday, 06:45 PM
                  • John Smith
                    Hello from Central Florida
                    by John Smith
                    I'm 74, retired from the commercial dimensional advertising world. (carved and routed signs).
                    I've always used the Roto-Zip, band saw, or other tools to make my projects. (wishing many times I had a good scroll saw). Well, I finally found an old DW-788 that the original owner said "it finally...
                    Yesterday, 05:51 PM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to What's a good stain product?
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    I use acrylic paint mixed with water to stain when I want vibrant colors. There was an article in one of the issues awhile back where a product called "Unicorn Spit" was suggested for the colors---and many people swear by it....
                    Yesterday, 10:24 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Phone call from son.
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    Oh my gosh Betty....Your son is fortunate to be alive. How badly stung was he by the hornets? Electrical shock is crazy dangerous. Wow.
                    Yesterday, 10:21 AM
                  Working...
                  X