Controlled Speed motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controlled Speed motor

Not sue if anyone is interested in something like this. These are the motors that Technatool uses on their Nova DVR series lathes. They're pricey, but they have fantastic control.

http://striatech.mybigcommerce.com/1...uctance-motor/

The blurb from Teknatool --
    This unique package features a 1HP (750W) multi-firing switched reluctance motor and intelligent controller, designed and developed by Striatech. Your options are for a NEMA 56C or B14 frame.
    Unlike its competitors, this smart motor delivers an experience that suits your application through its intelligent control system. This variable speed motor communicates with its internal micro-computer, which constantly monitors conditions and reacting to its environment. This micro-computer is monitoring the rotor constantly, and when the load is put onto the spindle, more power will be provided to the electric magnets to pull the rotor around, thus maintaining a constant RPM regardless of the load. This key feature helps deliver up to a 50% energy savings over comparable motors.
    Maintenance is easier on a Striatech motor. Because its windings are in the stator (rather than wrapped around the rotor), there is no centripetal force pulling the windings, and therefore no need to ever re-wind ever again. With simple construction and no permanent magnets, brushes and commutators, this motor is truly built to last.
    The control system is so precise that it can also function as a stepper motor, in addition to its usual variable speed option. This motor can reach speeds from 100-6000 RPM in forward or reverse. This motor also features a built-in USB connection for easy firmware updates. It is compatible at 115 V – 240 V, 50 Hz – 60 Hz Single Phase Input. This is the same technology used across all NOVA DVR machines.

The SKUs available on this motor include 53018 (NEMA56C) and 53019 (B14).

Brochure: Benefits of DVR in NOVA DVR machines.

Note - I do not work for Teknatool nor vend their products. I'm just a happy user.
    Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

That is an amazing motor. I really like it on my Nova DVR XP. I may order the newer electronic controller that has a variable speed knob along with the adjustable presets.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
      That is an amazing motor. I really like it on my Nova DVR XP. I may order the newer electronic controller that has a variable speed knob along with the adjustable presets.
      I upgraded the controller panel last year. The double speed settings on the speed buttons are great. The knob is easy to bump and it changes speed when you do that. The upgrade is worth it, just be careful with the knob.
      Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Why careful with the knob? Fragile?
        Rolf

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
          Why careful with the knob? Fragile?
          No - but if you bump it you'll change the speed of the lathe - mine is touchy. When I'm shearing from left to right I tend to be working close to the head stock and I'm constantly bumping the darned thing.

It is good for minute speed adjustments though.
          Tony

Comment

I installed the controller upgrade yesterday. The dynamic braking is really nice. I like lots of things about this upgrade having 8 pre programmed speeds is a nice change as is the variable speed knob. Certainly worth the money. loosen 4 screws and one pcboard connector, it doesn't get any easier.
            Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X