Lights and air blowerfor my DW788.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights and air blowerfor my DW788.

Hi Folks. I have my 788 and built a stand for it. One of the problems I am encountering is the thing that blows the air to blow the sawdust out of the way. It is constantly getting in the way of my hands therefore my hands block the air. I thought I had tried all positions, and then again maybe not. How do you deal with it? Thanks...Michael Oh forgot, lights! I have seen an LED light that attaches to the side of the saw. Does anyone have that one? Up open for ideas....
    Last edited by Michael L.; 01-05-2018, 07:53 AM.

For years I used the light that came on my DW788, I have owned two, but due to aging eyes and cataracts I have gone to a magnifier lamp like this one:
    https://intarsia.com/collections/har...agnifying-lamp

There are cheaper ones on the market. For best results mount the lamp on a table or other stationary surface and not on the saw. Mounting directly to the saw tends to make the magnifier move to the vibrations of the saw. Drove me crazy.As

I have never had an issue with blower getting in the way of my hands. Can you send a picture of your setup?
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I have a link here that will show you pics of my scroll saw. I also have a short video 5 minutes of it. Skip to the end of the video and you will see video of the 788. If this isn't sufficient I can take more pics of it. Thank you...Michael
      https://www.facebook.com/Michael.C.Lusk

Comment

I have the same light with magnifier that Scott shared the link to. I love it and wouldn't want to not have it. Scott also notes that there are cheaper ones on the market, however I wanted to note that not all lights and magnifiers are the same and sometimes cheaper is not always better. I had gotten the light Scott links to after taking JGR's Beginner Intarsia class (as I believe did Scott.) We used them in her class and I found it to be a tremendous help. Both the light and the magnification. There are two lenses that come with it for magnification. One is 3x and the other is 5x I think. I then got a 2nd saw so I tried to first source a light/magnifier more locally and bought one for probably about half the cost. The problem was, it was not near as good as the one I had gotten that Scott links to. It's been a while since I used it so I may not remember exactly everything that was wrong but I do remember that you had distortion from the magnification - especially around the edges, I got shadows on the wood I was trying to cut, and maybe other things. None of that had occurred with the one purchased from JGR. The next time I was at JGR's class (later that Fall) I bought a 2nd one for the 2nd saw (saved me shipping costs.) Well worth the price difference in my opinion. Also note, that the one Scott links to at JGR's site I also found on Amazon, but I think JGR's price was even better then what I found at the time at Amazon. Not sure if that is still true or not. Husband now uses the cheaper one for the light portion only over by his lathe.

Another note about the light and magnifiers. When we were taking the class, one person in the class had problems trying to use the magnifier. As I recall, he said that it caused him to see double. JGR said she had never seen that before or maybe had only had it happen one other time (can't remember for sure.) When I set mine up, my hubby tried to use it and he had the same issue, no matter where he put it he said he saw double and he couldn't use it. So, check it out and make sure its not an issue if you can.

As far as the blower, it does seem to be "in the way" sometimes and I try to move it around and have never found an "ideal" position for it. Sometimes it is not much of an issue - figured it was just me. One curiosity question - are you left or right handed? I am left handed and thought maybe we relied more on using and turning with our left hand then a right handed person might and maybe that was the problem for me but never really could decide if that were the case or not.
        Melanie from East TN

Comment

Nice shop. Thanks for the tour. Really hard to tell but your blower hose did look a little short. I just ran out into my shop and counted the links on mine. I have 20 links plus the blower end.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Scroller View Post
            Nice shop. Thanks for the tour. Really hard to tell but your blower hose did look a little short. I just ran out into my shop and counted the links on mine. I have 20 links plus the blower end.
            Yep, got 20 plus the tip. I'm going down to the shop in a bit and will see if I have tried all the angles again. Thanks..

Comment

Originally posted by NC Scroller View Post
              For years I used the light that came on my DW788, I have owned two, but due to aging eyes and cataracts I have gone to a magnifier lamp like this one:
              https://intarsia.com/collections/har...agnifying-lamp

There are cheaper ones on the market. For best results mount the lamp on a table or other stationary surface and not on the saw. Mounting directly to the saw tends to make the magnifier move to the vibrations of the saw. Drove me crazy.As

I have never had an issue with blower getting in the way of my hands. Can you send a picture of your setup?
              I have the same light, it just broke the other day. I might try it again, if I can take the one that is broke and figure out where I want to place it again and might use some different type of clamping jig of some sort.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X