Useful stuff we already have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Useful stuff we already have

Trying to kick of a little spring time banter amongst us scrollers, and to maybe give innovative ideas to newbies...
    Please name a tool or trick you use in the shop, which wasn't necessarily what it was meant for, that is really helpful.

Today when I was cleaning up my shop, I used the shop vac floor attachment on my empty workbench tops for super speedy cleanup.
    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

GREAT! The way to clean!
    ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥♥

Comment

I use my belt sanders as a pencil sharpener on occasion! And I use my gas leaf blower to clean gutters, and in the shop to blow out behind my stationary tools and tables when I have too much build up of sawdust that the DC doesn't collect. . . about once a year job.

EDIT IN: I have a couple of square rubber Belt Cleaners around the shop and use that to clean the belt after sharpening the pencils.
      Last edited by leehljp; 04-30-2017, 07:22 AM.
      Hank Lee
      Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

I have rows of wood standing against one entire wall of my garage, all sorted by type----I am definitely going to try the leaf blower trick every now and then to blow the cobwebs and dust out. That sounds like a crazy good timesaver! And the pencil sharpener one made me smirk! Thanks leehljp!
        Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

I mentally went around the shop thinking of each tool and how I use them. Nope, well, I have driven screws with a hammer but that's about it. I sure have more tools than I I used to. I need the leaf blower to clean the shop trick.
          Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
          Desert Woodcrafters
          Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenD View Post
            I mentally went around the shop thinking of each tool and how I use them. Nope, well, I have driven screws with a hammer but that's about it. I sure have more tools than I I used to. I need the leaf blower to clean the shop trick.
            WEAR a respirator and face shield!
            Hank Lee

Comment

I have a couple plastic coffee lids that sit on my bench tops. It is the perfect size to sit you 5" ROS (random orbital sander) on. It protects the bench top and it allows you to set the sander down before it stops moving.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I used to keep several plastic can lids of various diameters to mark circles (rounding corners, etc). I would measure the diameters and use a sharpie to print that on the lid.

Comment

I used a biscuit cutter to cut a groove for slide in shelves. I've used the drill press for a small makeshift lathe.
                  "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

I have many cigar boxes left over from the CBG building days. Used on to hang on my Hegner to catch the sawdust, small cutoffs and spent blades. May have got the idea from Rolf or someone here. Really saves on cleanup. Used a disposable plastic piece that comes on my printer cartridges for my HP printer to make a nice hanger for the wrench for my Hegner.
                    AKA Paul from Washington State

Comment

Linda , Great subject!
                      Actually I have the handle on the front of my Hawk and clip on a plastic bag with clothes pins. The Hawk blade is way up front.
                      Lots of the so called Dogy bags are really nice plastic containers with lids, I use them for small parts, dipping in sanding sealer etc.
                      My wife still has her hair dressing license and the salon supply places have lots of neat small bottles with fine tips really cheap. Great for gluing. They have small sponges etc.

Randy I like the slotting idea, that's a new one. DSC_1313 (600 x 402).jpg
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I save the creamer containers from the coffee shop. Great for mixing small amounts of epoxy, add paint into for painting small projects, or add some mineral spirits into for cleaning small brushes....etc, etc.
                        Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

We sometimes order takeout and the dressings and sauces come in small plastic cups. These are great when mixing small amounts of epoxy or mixing small amounts of stain in a finish. The greek yoghurt cups come in handy for holding all sorts of small parts & pieces, as do the styrofoam trays that meat comes in. Just be sure to wash them well.
                          Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

I keep a hair dyer in my shop and use it to speed up the setting of some finishes on small items. (I have a heat gun but mine is too hot for urging a finish to set.)

I use the drill press as a press on small delicate items that need fitting into a spot/hole, especially on pen making. I have a small "press" and use it often, but the DP gives me a more delicate control on small pieces
                            Last edited by leehljp; 04-30-2017, 10:04 PM.
                            Hank Lee

Comment

I use Parmaisan chees cans to collect used blades in then close it up and toss when full. sure beats stepping on a used blade. I clean vaining cuts with unwaxed dental floss takes the sawdust out easily.
                              Fredfret

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X