Sharing my workshop space

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing my workshop space

Thought I'd share my workshop area(s), and maybe spur some conversations. Ideas from everyone are what we all use, and I sure find it useful. Garage where I do the "rough and dirty work", and a converted bedroom inside that I do most of the detail work in. Please pardon the horrible photography trying to snap pics of small spaces. And just like all of you.....my work area is constantly evolving along with whatever directions I pursue as I grow with scrolling---and whatever new "toys" I collect. I hope some of you will share pics of your areas too.
    Outside Garage for rough work, ceiling air filter too Outside Garage along 1 wall Inside wood room pic 1 with light table and Ex-30
    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

You're scrolling space looks very cozy, a nice place to while the hours away.
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Nice space and a great assortment of tools. You also have an impressive collection of ribbons.
      Thank you for sharing your space.

I find it almost impossible to keep horizontal surfaces empty. A constant struggle.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks Rolf. You "guys" have helped me hone in on lots of ideas and expand my horizons. Last year additional and more effective dust collection was on my agenda. This year, organization and elbow room. I had a radial arm saw (that was my dad's) mounted into a huge workbench cart. Because I seldom needed that type of saw, the horizontal surface was almost always a storage space to me when I got into a hurry. Emotionally hard to part with, but I needed to. A couple of weeks ago the radial saw found a new home (via one of the other members of this website and the Arizona Association of Fine Woodworkers), where it will happily be put to regular use the way it was meant to be.

Comment

Very impressive. Wish I could keep my shop as organized. Quick question, Is your foot pad for the Excalibur up there for storage or do you use it from that position?
          Tracy

Nicholasville, KY
          ​Excalibur 21"
          www.sawdustgallery.com

Comment

I'm an organization nut. The foot pedal is used in that position most of the time, and I pull it out of the foot shelf recess when I want it on the floor. Because I'm only 5'4" tall, the stand was uncomfortably tall for ergonomic posture. And, I found that when I'm comfy, I tend to cut longer and do a better job. So, I mounted a shelf with a recessed spot for the pedal (so it wouldn't tend to slide around). I can sit on a bar stool type chair, rest my left foot on the shelf, and use the right foot easily on the pedal. Posture improved and so did endurance!

Comment

Any chance you might be willing to post some more photos of your Excalibur modifications. I have had mine about a year and have not done anything to add to my comfort or utility. I am quite curious as to what you have done to customize your saw.
              Tracy

Nicholasville, KY
              ​Excalibur 21"
              www.sawdustgallery.com

Comment

I saw the box on the front of your saw when I was viewing your website. Again, very impressive.
                Tracy

Nicholasville, KY
                ​Excalibur 21"
                www.sawdustgallery.com

Comment

Extra pics specifically of my current Ex-21 setup....here ya go. The box on the lower clamp area collects a ton of sawdust via location, downward pull of the blade, and gravity. The Ex is plugged into the Festool, with the automatic feature that turns the vac on and off whenever I activate the saw---tethered to the top arm (but positioned so there is NOT pulling on the saw arm), the vacuum suck sawdust and debris from the top area, but I still have room for my hands. And like several other people here, I do have the back of my saw higher than the front.

Comment

Linda, doesn't that box make it hard to get to that lower blade clamp?

----Randy
                    "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Nope. Easy access was a must. A piece of elastic holds the door closed when I'm sawing, and slides out of the way when the door is open. The opening is big enough for BOTH of my hands to fit inside and work the clamp. I sized the box for my hand clearance. No knuckle crunching whatsoever. The box slides off to dump into the trash. I also remove the box when cutting angles more than a few degrees--vacuuming the entire lower area regularly to keep everything working smoothly.

Comment

Linda do you bottom feed? Looks like it would get old opening the door for each hole change if you top feed. Very smart setup.

Comment

Thank you for the photos and extra help. This opens up some new possibilities. I cant set at the saw for long periods just because of comfort. I'm going to try moving the pedal and possibly that box. Again, thank you. I probably should check out the forum more often.
                          Tracy

Nicholasville, KY
                          ​Excalibur 21"
                          www.sawdustgallery.com

Comment

Trackman-- I go back and forth on bottom or top feed when I do fretwork. For large pieces I top feed, for small I'll bottom feed. However, I will be honest. My current ratio of what I do is around 40% fret and 60% intarsia. When I'm top feeding and need access to the bottom clamp very frequently, I don't pull up the elastic strap--I just let the door rest against my lap and the majority of dust still stays inside.

rtracyw---you're welcome. This forum is an awesome place for inspiration. What works well for one person may not do so great for another. But, spin your own twist on it and it's amazing the creative things we can come up with that do work for us. We look forward to some of your tweeks to make things more fun.

Comment

I also inherited my fathers tools and a radial arm saw was one of them. I was never comfortable with that saw, plus didn't have room for it. I also sold it and bought a sliding compound miter saw. for cutting things to size.
                              I have the optional handle on the front of my Hawk and this is my primitive catchall . As you can see I have never addressed dust collection on my saw. DSC_1314 (Small).JPG
                              Rolf
                              RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X