X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoelM
    replied
    Originally posted by Jediscroller
    Hehehe, I use flat reverse-tooth blades and don't have to deal with the fuzzies.

What size blades do you use for portraits? I've been using spirals, but want to try flat blades to see the difference in the cuts.

Leave a comment:

• IRMSRUS
    replied
    Originally posted by ozarkhillbilly
    I got mine at lowe's for under $12.00 dollars and it is refilliable, you can find it in the plumbing dept. It's yellow and is called Micro-Jet.
    Check out the Sticky titled "owl progress" I have a couple of pictures posted there with me using the micro-jet burning the fuzzies off. http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/inf...nge/7779-4.htm
    OOOooohh Baby, 1200 degrees F... hah, better be real careful with this thing. (mine was 19.95, but if it works and does the job right with more speed than a file, im happy with it...)

I'll give her a whirl here in alittle while hopefully yet this afternoon

Thanks Bill,
    ~Tim

Leave a comment:

• Pop
    replied
    Originally posted by Rivari
    Mike I have made a rule in my shop to never purchase any tool that can be labeled "cute". In keeping with the recent Snickers commercial (During Super Bowl)I would have to do something manly if someone called any of my tools cute.

I shall now attempt to find a hair upon my chest and rip it out just for writing that word twice.
    OK... wrap it with black electrical tape and then finish it off with duct tape. Hopefully you have more than 6 hairs on your chest.

Leave a comment:

• BobD
    replied
    Aw...come on Todd...you don't consider your cute kids a "tool" for keeping the shop clean <GRIN>

My wife referred to my favorite carving knife as "cute" once...I promptly cut myself with it...so it's no longer my favorite.

BTW...i've had to move on to leg hair...

Bob

Leave a comment:

• Rivari
    replied
    Mike I have made a rule in my shop to never purchase any tool that can be labeled "cute". In keeping with the recent Snickers commercial (During Super Bowl)I would have to do something manly if someone called any of my tools cute.

I shall now attempt to find a hair upon my chest and rip it out just for writing that word twice.

Leave a comment:

• Minnesota scroller
    replied
    Originally posted by Rivari
    Call me a caveman, I've been using a standard propane torch. A few easy passes and most of those fuzzies are gone.
    Hey Caveman, I used to use one of those torches too. Then I saw Bill's "Owl Progress" thread and thought the one he had was so darned cute, I just had to have one. It certainly does give you more control, especially when you have just 1 or 2 little hairs you missed the first time around.

Leave a comment:

• Rivari
    replied
    Call me a caveman, I've been using a standard propane torch. A few easy passes and most of those fuzzies are gone.

Leave a comment:

• Minnesota scroller
    replied
    I don't think you have anything to be concerned with unless you soak it in lighter fluid first. Once you've done it, you'll see what I mean.

Leave a comment:

• IRMSRUS
    replied
    Thanks abunch fellas... I guess my next concern would be (types of wood being more flamable than another?) like the exotic stuff, any of that flammable?

~Tim

Leave a comment:

• Pop
    replied
    Originally posted by Minnesota scroller
    The brand name of mine is Bernzo-matic. I believe I paid about $9 for it at a local hardware store. You can also buy butane in small canisters from Home Depot.
    Picked one up today at Home Depot. Bernzomatic #ST200T = $9.97 and the butane refill bottle was $2.97. Comes with micro torch tip, soldering tip and what they call the 'hot blower'. Nice little unit.

Leave a comment:

• Minnesota scroller
    replied
    The brand name of mine is Bernzo-matic. I believe I paid about $9 for it at a local hardware store. You can also buy butane in small canisters from Home Depot.

Leave a comment:

• ozarkhillbilly
    replied
    I got mine at lowe's for under $12.00 dollars and it is refilliable, you can find it in the plumbing dept. It's yellow and is called Micro-Jet.
    Check out the Sticky titled "owl progress" I have a couple of pictures posted there with me using the micro-jet burning the fuzzies off. http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/inf...nge/7779-4.htm
    Last edited by ozarkhillbilly; 02-07-2007, 07:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Minnesota scroller
    replied
    No, not a flameless lighter. It is a small refillable butane lighter with an adjustable flame. I'll check the brand of mine tomorrow and get back to you.

Leave a comment:

• IRMSRUS
    replied
    Originally posted by Sawduster
    I too use spirals a lot and also learned from Ozarkhillbilly the butane torch trick .
    Be sure to do it before finishing ! Also practice some on less-than-perfect pieces or some scrap . It doesn't take long at all to get the hang of it
    Like those flameless lighters?

I'm tring to think of the ones that aren't a hefty price, work upside down and aren't like a welders torch or something (don't have the space, nor the cash to get one of these...) I tried using one of those long butane lighters and its not working out the best for me and I've used alot of the butane up... I know a regular lighter is just a bad idea all around (I'd like to keep my fingers, not burn them off)

Leave a comment:

• Sawduster
    replied
    I too use spirals a lot and also learned from Ozarkhillbilly the butane torch trick .
    Be sure to do it before finishing ! Also practice some on less-than-perfect pieces or some scrap . It doesn't take long at all to get the hang of it

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X