This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing bevel cuts.

I've never had this problem before I got my ex21. Having the head tilt for me instead of the table I get confused which way to cut to avoid ruining the back of a project.

I did a protruding nativity and when i cut out joseph holding the shepherd staff i noticed after I was done that the back side was all jagged and cut away. I tossed that project in my designer fire wood bin and cut the project the opposite direction and it came out fine.

Which way do I tilt the head and then which way do i cut? counter clockwise right tilt or clockwise around the pattern? I think if I tilt the head to the right I cut clockwise but I can't remember now and I don't want to waste another nice piece of Black walnut at $7.00 a bd foot locally.

BTW I fished the other one out of the bin and was able to salvage it for my mantle.
    Last edited by wood-n-things; 11-29-2013, 11:09 AM.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

When I make the bowls the head goes to the right and cutting is clock wise. That is if you are sitting in front of the saw ready to cut. When you have instructions to tilt the table to the left, move the head of the saw to the right and always cut clock wise.
    Hope this help.

Comment

I thought it was reversed, because the head tilts. Thank you!

Easy way to remember is cut toward the head. Left head tilt counter clockwise. Right head tilt clockwise.

If I want the bevel to come foreward?? or to recede back into a piece??
      Last edited by wood-n-things; 11-29-2013, 12:38 PM.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I do double bevel inlay which I cut at 2.2 degrees. Left side of my table, as I face it, is lowered. I do not ever consider whether I cut clock wise or counter clock wise. I just remember to ALWAYS keep the image I am cutting to the right of my blade no matter how complex the cut may be. Figure out what your best cut direction is and just do it that way... image right or left of the blade. KISS
        Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
        No PHD, but I have my GED and my DD 214"
        Website https://craftingcouple.com/

Comment

Opposite of table tilt

It's all fun
          Terry
          Craftsman 18"
          Delta 46-460 lathe

https://www.facebook.com/SillyLillyBowsAndMore

Comment

My table only tilts to the left so it is down when I tilt it. I like it. Fay
            Have a great day, Fay.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• DaveVanEss
              The Fickle Finger of Fate
              by DaveVanEss
              It is amazing how Edward R. Murrow's life could would have been different it is wasn't for this one event. When he was going to Washington State University he met a gorgeous girl going to the University of Idaho. They made a wonderful couple and they talked about getting married after Edward graduated....
              Yesterday, 11:16 AM
            • meflick
              Reply to Fall 2019 Issue
              by meflick
              Mine was in the mail Fri., just in time to throw in For our weekend camping trip. I agree, great looking projects to do and always fun to see the contributions and names of our forum friends, ๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿ™‚ now to carve out time to try a few of them.
              07-14-2019, 03:27 PM
            • meflick
              Reply to Unicorn Spit
              by meflick
              Thanks Betty. I will need to check our local store. I Will also check their online site and see if itโ€™s there. Now, I need to go and retrieve that Joanneโ€™s email with the coupon back out of the trash. ๐Ÿ˜‰...
              07-14-2019, 03:23 PM
            • meflick
              Reply to Dream Catcher Silhouette Ornaments
              by meflick
              Thank you Betty. You are very kind, just let me know whenever you are ready....
              07-14-2019, 03:19 PM
            • meflick
              Reply to Conversations
              by meflick
              Thanks to the Magazine that was in my mailbox on Fri, I know what a Unicorn ๐Ÿฆ„ Spit is. โ˜บ๏ธ I will be looking for some to try as well. No cookies here, trying to cut back on the sugar. ๐Ÿ˜” But I agree, if Elliott wants to think you made them, who are we to argue. ๐Ÿ˜‰ my day was great, we recently...
              07-14-2019, 03:16 PM
            Working...
            X