Scroll Saw Dust Blower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scroll Saw Dust Blower

Hello everyone. I just recently had a problem with the dust blower (not the original, one using a fish tank pump) and had to come up with a new one. I have seen several postings on various web sites about replacing dust blowers, so I thought I would post my latest solution in case someone has a problem with their dust blower. I went to Walmart and bought a $7.50 AC mattress air pump. I then went to Home Depot and bought a $4.00 roll of 1/2 inch clear plastic tubing. I then used a short piece of 1/2 inch copper tubing I had laying around, cut a piece off about two inches long and bent the last inch into about a 45 degree angle. Mounted the copper tube into the none used foot peg mount and adjusted the angle so I would get the most air flow at the blade hole. Put one end of a short piece of plastic tubing over the end of the copper tubing above the foot peg hole and the other end into the medium size adapter for the air pump. It works better than the original or my other lashup, albet it is a bit noisy. I now have absolutely NO sawdust on my cutting lines. Hope this helps someone.

I looked into getting an air pump for fish tanks also and found them to be too weak to move enough air for my 27 year old hegner. I finally piped my shop air compressor to do the job. Works like a charm with a valve to control the air flow needed.
    Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
    "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Curious how long the air mattress pump will last, doubt it is designed for continuous use.
      Bob making sawdust in SW Louisiana
      with a EX-21

Comment

I keep looking for ideas for some kind of a blower for my moto saw. I have an idea all ready cooked up. I thought of using my hand held vacuum and set it to one side of the saw away from the wood cutting and attach my old cpap hose as it is 6 feet long and I can attach it with some duct tape to that and then let it vacuum up the dust as I work. The hose on the shop vac is too large so that won't work and in the mean time I'm using my mouth for a blower. LOL! Some day I'll get a nice scroll saw and other tools to use. Right now the moto saw is fine for small crafty things as I'm learning. Have a great day,,,,Fay
        Have a great day, Fay.

Comment

in the mean time I'm using my mouth for a blower. LOL!
          The only way you can do that is without a face mask on. The face mask is really important.....devise a mechanical blower soon even if it si just a fan set to the side and on on the other side sucking the air into a furnace filter. A face mask is imperative, you only get one set of lungs...

first pic is the fan side 2nd pic is the filter side...
          Attached Files
          "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
          Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Hey guys, I just devised a sawdust collection system that works great with my Ryobi and Craftsman scroll saws. On top as a blower I use a fish tank air pump attached to the original copper blower pipe. Works like a charm. For the bottom collection I used an old plastic 5 gallon paint can, an old cooling fan (12 volt DC) from an old computer, a length of black plastic shop vac hose from Home Depot, a flex plumbing adapter pipe, also from Home Depot, some pipe cement and a hot glue gun. I cut a hole in the lid of the bucket to fit the cooling fan, another round hole to fit the flex drain pipe. Secured the fan with 4 screws and sealed around the fan with hot glue. Inserted the flex drain pipe with a length to go half way to the bottom of the bucket. Sealed the flex pipe with pipe cement. Attached the vac hose to the flex pipe and the port on either scroll saw. Used an old 12 volt power adapter to power the fan and shazzam, a quiet efficient dust collection system.

Comment

Could you post a picture of this solution please. It sounds very interesting.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

My Home Made Sawdust Collector

Here is a photo of my home made saw dust collector. If you need more info let me know at [email protected].
                Attached Files

Comment

Can you show a picture of how you are capturing the dust at the saw blade ? Your setup looks very interesting. I may give it a try.

Tom

Comment

I use this system for the bottom of the plate only. I connect it to the port under the table. I use the original dust blower on top except I employ a fish tank air pump vice the bellows.

Comment

Just as added information, if you decided to construct one of these dust collectors I would advise that you be sure and use a medium to large cooling fan, even if you have to put the input pipe on the side of the container. This way, you will have enough suction to be sure and pull any sawdust into the bucket. You can get these fans real cheap at a local computer repair shop. Some will run on 12 volts dc and some will run on 120 VAC. I have my foot switch, sawdust collector, light and fish tank air pump all plugged into a power strip mounted on the side of the table the saw is on. This way, I only have to turn on one switch to power up everything.

Comment

Fish tank air pumps can be easily repaired if they stop working. Just take it to a pet shop and they will have the little rubber bellows for cheap.

Comment

I'm sorry, but I can't figure why anyone would want to "blow" dust anywhere. If you blow it you are going to breathe it. If you have it on your glasses then you are getting it in your lungs and that is not so good.
                          Here are a couple of posts that may prevent all the blowing. I never have dust on my glasses or anywhere else.
                          http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31024

http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31025

Any questions or any way I can help, let me know. Good luck
                          Last edited by ChuckD; 04-27-2014, 08:27 PM.
                          Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                          Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                          Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Chuck, when I click on the posts you have included, I am sent right back to this post...did I do something wrong. I also use Hegners and the bellows does not work that well and using the fan and filter still leaves a ton of dust..would like to see what up use.
                            Hawaiilad
                            Larry

Comment

Chuck,

When I clicked on the links in your message it takes me back to main forum page. I did a search and it brings me back to this post.
                              cwmagee
                              cwmagee
                              aka Fibber
                              Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X