Metal Plumbers Tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Plumbers Tape

Hi Everyone, I need your help. I am looking for some a large quantity of metal plumbers tape or something like it. I have a metal shop that I am insulating it has square metal studs about 4' on center and 2 1/2" square tube studs I already have the insulation it is commercial 2' by 4' squares I was thinking of using a flexible metal strip such as the plumbers tape and self drilling metal screws to hold the insulation up. I have tried wooden furring strips but there are some places that I cannot get the drill into and with the flexible metal I could bend around the side of the stud and secure. All I can find is ten foot lengths and I would loose two feet on each piece. My shop is 24' by 40' so I need to find something in bulk. Any ideas or suggestions???? Thanks, Steve
    If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
    My Gallery
    [email protected]

OOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo thats way more then a roll or two of duct tape!!! Maybe try someone that does seemless gutters, or siding????? Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Have you tried Lowe's? I know at our store we have 50' rolls of both metal and plastic plumbers tape, or check with a local plumbing supply house.
      I did a google search for it and there were several hits with this product available for online ordering in 100' rolls.
      Hope this helps you.
      Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Steve:

McMaster Carr industrial supply house:
        http://www.mcmaster.com/ page 1373, comes in steel, copper, stainless steel.

search for plumber's tape at the above site, scroll down to near bottom of page. In catalog, it is called "Flexible Metal straps with holes" comes in 100 ft rolls.

Be aware, McMaster-Carr is an industrial supply house, may have a minimum order in $$ amount.

Phil

Comment

Thanks Guys, Bill I will have to check at Lowes all I can find for them online is ten ft rolls. I have inquired at a few places online but no response from any of them except for the one Phil has mentioned. Looks like I may be ordering from them unless someone has a brainstorm of another idea on how to do this project. Thanks again, Steve
          My Gallery
          [email protected]

Comment

If you are just using it to hold the insulation why not use metal strapping. The big black banding that comes around those pallets of lumber and other stuff. Most ths places would probably let you have all you want for free.
            I get it all the time and cut it into 4" long pieces to use for throw away puddy knives for wood puddy or scrapers to take off excess glue runout. Use them once and throw them away makes for easy cleanup.
            Rick Hutcheson
            http://www.scrollsaws.com

Comment

Rick, I will have to check that out. Sounds like a possibilty. Thanks, Steve
              My Gallery
              [email protected]

Comment

Steve, check your PM's........
                Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Steve, before you go the tape route I suggest you wait 'til summer and attach a piece of tape to one of the metal studs. If we are talking about the same stuff, you may have a problem. My shop is also metal framed and I've found that enough heat is obsorbed into the framing to weaken the adhesive bond of the tape. I taped a cardboard deflector onto a stud for a window air conditioner and within a month the tape fell off. I'm still mulling over how to insulate my shop and attach the insulation.
                  Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
                  Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeDingas
                    Steve, before you go the tape route I suggest you wait 'til summer and attach a piece of tape to one of the metal studs. If we are talking about the same stuff, you may have a problem. My shop is also metal framed and I've found that enough heat is obsorbed into the framing to weaken the adhesive bond of the tape. I taped a cardboard deflector onto a stud for a window air conditioner and within a month the tape fell off. I'm still mulling over how to insulate my shop and attach the insulation.
                    Thanks Mike, but what I was talking about was the galvanized metal plumbers tape about 3/4" wide perforated metal rolls used for hanging pipe and duct work. Self drilling screws through the holes in the tape and into the metal studs. Steve
                    My Gallery
                    [email protected]

Comment

You can buy rolls of metel in the duct department of lowes and home depot. That should do the trick.
                      John Patrick, Bird Oasis
                      www.birdoasis.com
                      Using Dewalt DW788. Working on a new line of birdhouses and bird feeders for the store.

I welcome any and all ideas for bird friendly scrolling.

Comment

Sorry, Steve. Guess I should have gotten that Plumming for Dummies book.
                        Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
                        Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KarlB
                          Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                          by KarlB
                          Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                          Today, 09:41 PM
                        • KarlB
                          Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                          by KarlB
                          Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                          Today, 09:31 PM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                          by will8989
                          Beautiful!...
                          Today, 09:19 PM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Big week here
                          by will8989
                          Bruce said he felt like he needed to look for a job when he first retired. That lasted for about a month and he hasn’t looked back since. I had a friend whose company gave him a 50th party. At the party he told them he was retiring in 2 weeks! Trust us, you will love being retired.
                          Today, 09:09 PM
                        • jim_mex
                          Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                          by jim_mex
                          Hi ibber - LOL!

I took the keyboard back to the store a while back and they hadn't got a replacement in stock. Since I like the look o it I think I am going to play attack it later this evening and try to sort out the problem.
                          ingers crossed
                          Today, 07:35 PM
                        Working...
                        X