magnifying lamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magnifying lamp

I need advice on what power of magnification to buy for my lighted lamp. The one I had was destroyed in a fire and I can't remember the lamps specs, i think it was around 1.75X or 2.25X. I got it when I purchased the RBI Hawk 26 a few yrs back. Thanks, Jim

mine is 4x
    May the wind at you back .....
    Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

good question

I have never noticed power noted on boxes ,bought one floresent at Staple,and two bulb units on sale ,all work well ,now you got me curious,I quess I takes some small print and compare under one then the other ,just to satisfy that curiousity.
      My Best !
      Carl
      "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
      Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

Most of the inexpensive and mid price magnifier/lamp units have 3 diopter lenses. For a little bit more money, it is possible to get them with 5 diopter lenses and for even more money, there are some available with interchangeable 3 and 5 diopter lenses. The higher the diopter number, the greater the magnification. 3 diopters seems to be the average for these lamps.

One of the considerations may be the way the lamp is mounted either to the saw or to a wall or nearby bench. I had one that I got at Staples for about $60 that has a 3 diopter lens and a fluorescent ring bulb that are still working just fine. The part that broke was the part of the mount that the lamp base is inserted into. It's plastic and after about a year of being moved around a lot, the plastic base gave up. I have since replaced this lamp with one I got from Rockler that has a magnetic base that attaches FIRMLY to anything metal except aluminum. It has a 5 diopter lens and a lot of LED's around the ring. It's working beautifully, is much less bulky and doesn't have a flimsy base that will break.

Having said all that, I couldn't do the quality of work I want to accomplish without a magnifier. Love the durned things.

Jan
        Last edited by Jan; 02-10-2012, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Jan, lamp response

Thank you for all the good info about the magnification on lighted lamps. I got a good lamp when i purchased the RBI Hawk 26 kit a few years back, but it was destroyed in our house fire last Christmas. The lamp was around $85, about 6-7 inches diameter, had a 22" florescent ring, and was rock solid with no vibration. As for the diopters numbers is anybodies guess, possibly only 3. I will check out the one at Rockler, and will google up some other sites. One thing is for sure, the better you see the lines, the better your project will be. Thanks Jan, Jim.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• MidMich324
            Reply to Plastic puzzle
            by MidMich324
            Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
            Today, 03:57 PM
          • RJweb
            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
            by RJweb
            As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
            Today, 03:42 PM
          • Linda In Phoenix
            Farmers market "survey"
            by Linda In Phoenix
            Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
            I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
            For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
            Today, 11:14 AM
          • Linda In Phoenix
            Reply to Farmers market
            by Linda In Phoenix
            Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
            Today, 11:00 AM
          • Linda In Phoenix
            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
            by Linda In Phoenix
            Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
            Today, 09:57 AM
          Working...
          X