DIY dewalt 788 series 1 modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY dewalt 788 series 1 modifications

Trying to collect fine saw dust ,I have tried ,just about everything suggested in
    the threads ,videos etc ,everything that worked was bulky ,in the way ,and clumbersome . I wanted to collect the dust in a user friendly way,In addition I wanted a catch tray for all the cutouts .Heres what I came up with ,first trials look good ,I thought ,the manifold concept ,answered a lot of the issues. The clearance issues were easier to address than I thought ,still able to tilt 15 degrees ,no issues,I rarely tilt ,and then no more than 10 degrees ,blade change clearance still good , See what you think!

My very best!
    Carl
    Attached Files
    "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
    Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

You definitely put a lot of thought and energy into this. I've been looking to do something to reduce the fine dust in the shop and this looks like it has potential. I purchased a dust collector this past year but I need to address some electrical issues to get the real benefit out of it (something I hope to do during the slow part of the year).Couple of questions for you... did this create any additional noise from air moving by anything i.e. a whistle? Are those holes drilled into the table? Is there much dust on top of the table when this is running or is getting the majority. I was thinking of something similar under the table with another setup for the top.

Good luck and thanks for sharing!
    Don

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
    Benjamin Franklin

At twenty years of age the will reigns; at thirty, the wit; and at forty, the judgment.
    Benjamin Franklin

A great empire, like a great cake, is most easily diminished at the edges.
    Benjamin Franklin

www.dogwoodstudiosnh.com

Comment

Yes There are holes and tiny grooves cut into table top ,balancing the air flow[suction]
      top to bottom,you still get temperary dust on top ,movement of work piece aid in relocating top dust to suction ports ,detailed multi hole project vertually clean ,vacuum gets 99%,any thing on the piece left or table slide near the ports ,and it's gone.

another nice ,feature ,2 phillips mach screws ,removes .catch tray.or remove miter adjust knob and slide complete assembly off in less than a minute,very user friendly.

hope that helps!
      My best !
      Carl

Comment

That's quite an elaborate dust collecting device. Over an extended period of use does it clog, and does cutting different woods make a difference?

Nice idea.
        Roger

Comment

Kiss principle

Any thing that does't go straight to the vaccum has a lot of area to try to plug,I can't speak to long term use yet,However ,as I noted in the last post ,5 min. and
          I can totally disassembly and re assemble ,time will tell ,if there is any concern .
          No system is perfect ,so far advantages far out way any other system I've tried.
          Nothing is in the way ,no octapus hose contraption ,nothing to move and readjust,no swivels etc.etc.Room is critical in most shop areas ,as well as simplisity. Some day ,a system like this will be standard on new saws !

my best !Carl P.S. This was far simplier to do than any of the other systems I tried,cheaper ,faster ,and easier !
          Last edited by Carl E Jacobs; 01-21-2012, 09:42 AM. Reason: add p.s

Comment

I have to be honest and say I don't like this idea. Not only would I never cut my table up like that, but I just don't understand how anyone can tolerate running a shop vac while scrolling. I just shop vac the sawdust on the ground when I'm done and the air cleaner in my shop takes care of any particles in the air. For the junk cutouts, I have a garbage can right next to my saw and although some do fall to the floor, I manage to slide most of them right into the garbage can. But as long as you're happy with it, I guess thats all that matters.

Comment

There was no way for you to know of course ,but I have more than one vac the one small unit hooked to the saw is the closed wood storage room connected by a 30 ft hose w/a remote on off switch . the extra grooves and sm holes are totally smooth and polished and have no determental affect other than cosmetic appearance. The quick disconnect of the vac at the saw allows instant access to to use ,for any purpose w/o having to get another one out
              if I do not need to, it is handy.I posted on Info exchange,so if there was any interest ,questions could be asked ,You are right I am happy with the results ,or I would not have taken the time and effort to post ,I am not trying to make you get rid of you garbage can or make any changes .Your happy ,I'm Happy ,I hope we can still be friends.
              My very best!
              Carl

Comment

Thats good that you have the space to put the shop vac in another room. I unfortunately don't have that option. I'm also wondering if the wood has a slight cupping to it, will it catch inside the groves as you move the wood around. I'll give you credit though, it took a lot of guts to cut your table up.

Of course we can be friends, lol. I just give honest opinions. It doesn't mean I'm right or wrong. With this hobby everyone has there own way of getting things done.

Comment

The grooves are 1/16 " w1/16 deep stoned smooth edges so far no indicationsof any catching or resistance ,and the three holes left of the blade have been there for yrs.used for making gaskets ,another unique feature of the scroll saw ,multi-facited capibilities .My Dad told one day when I was delicately teasing him,of his limited use of force to get a job done QUICKLY ,he said {MY son when you get older you will find YOU HAVE TO WORK SMARTER NOT HARDER} I've never forgot that Primarily because every day I live proves him
                  CORRECT ! Now I am constantly looking for smarter and easier ways to do anything I plan to do alot !
                  My very Best!
                  Carl

Comment

Ah, now I understand what you did. I plan to run the hose under the table near the blade/hole, to get the dust that otherwise falls there, which seems to be the majority.

One thing I worry about is whether my old vacuum will suck in dust, and blow the smallest particles right back into the air (the vacuum is only 5' away).
                    Shop vacs suck so hard - I think they gotta be the worst in this regard.

We have a nice Sears upright rug vacuum that has a HEPA filter, but what are the odds that my wife would let me use it? It even has a low/quiet setting! I'm using an old canister vac for now (OK except not a HEPA filter). Probably could easily jury-rig a HEPA filter to it via duct tape or automobile clamp; etc. Maybe it could also serve as a general / room dust collector too!

Comment

Check my latest post on tools and blades,you will see my vac. and the manifold system under the table,tried the hose trick under ,didn't work for me and was in the way,but try what ever you think will work to your satisfaction,
                      I have been working on this issue for months ,only this one really works ,really works ! Questions and answers are free so if you have any don't be afraid to share!My very Best Carl

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                        Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                        by will8989
                        None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                        Today, 12:20 AM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                        The bags seem easier on the surface.
                        But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                        Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                        by will8989
                        Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                        Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                      • Sandy Oaks
                        by Sandy Oaks
                        As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                        Yesterday, 09:46 AM
                      • NC Scroller
                        Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                        by NC Scroller
                        I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                        Yesterday, 07:42 AM
                      Working...
                      X