No announcement yet.

The kiss of death for a spiral blade !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The kiss of death for a spiral blade !

I am working on In memory:Eagle portrait ,following guide line rec,s 46 tooth
    spiral blade ,first let me tell you ,I am four stacking 1/4 "ply wood ,over std. thickness ,double lube top and bottom ,I was smoking blades ,no teeth left ,one to two holes ,small ,I mean small ,running extreamely slow ,changed 788 speed
    still smoking blades went thru 16 in 25 holes,I went to lowes ,no larger blades
    bought 3 dozen more ,put in 1 st. same results ,checked table sq. O.K. the it
    hit me like a rock ,I jacked the speed of the saw back up and cut for 15 minutes
    about 9 holes ,same blade just starting to get dull,can any body tell me what the
    only 1 thing I did not do to eliminate the problem completely ! by the way most of those were the largest cuts on the tail so I was cutting 40 times the material
    then before without wearing out or breaking the blade !

I've never used that many spirals before ,after finding this out ,I kinda like them
    ,I always had breakage issues before so I avoided them .

By doing it this way I hoping to learn alot about spiral blades and cutting with them !

My very Best !
    Carl
    "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
    Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Was the blade too loose?
    Was the blade in up side down?
    Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
    Desert Woodcrafters
    Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenD View Post
      Was the blade too loose?
      Was the blade in up side down?
      No Sir Niether !
      Carl

Comment

4 layers of 1/4 inch plywood is a heavy load for any blade. Plywood in itself will make for using more blades. The glue used is hard on a blade. I would use only 3you layers next time at the most. Check out Mike's blades too -. A different brand might work better.
        T
        Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Forester21 View Post
          4 layers of 1/4 inch plywood is a heavy load for any blade. Plywood in itself will make for using more blades. The glue used is hard on a blade. I would use only 3you layers next time at the most. Check out Mike's blades too -. A different brand might work better.
          T
          Teresa ,You are correct ,I made matters worse as I increased the stack,so I doubled the lube taped top and bottom, I had no sign of any burning at any
          point ,so I think The lube was working even under these overloaded conditions
          I didn't mention ,I have seldom used spirals because of fast failure and control issues .I had 3 olson spirals ,and a new doz. H.D. brand ,all failed very fast,
          went to lowes bought 3 doz. of thier brand ,first two failed same rate same way
          I made the simple change ,and the problem went away ,I increased the speed
          and the problem stayed away ,and control of course got better.Same load ,I
          was hoping some of those who used spirals all the time would offer the ans.
          with additional info.unique to the spiral blades.It appears to me that advantages of the spiral ,can be its down fall when used in correctly,The more I think about it ,It can effect all blades life ,and useability.
          My Very Best!
          Carl

Comment

If your wood thickness is so large that all of the teeth that enter the wood can fully exit the wood, you will have sawdust thats trapped in the cut causing the blade to overheat. an inch thickness is quite a bit of meat to cut through, but if running your saw fairly fast, and feeding the wood slowly it can be done, however, stick with quality blades either way.
            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Originally posted by lucky788scroller View Post
              If your wood thickness is so large that all of the teeth that enter the wood can fully exit the wood, you will have sawdust thats trapped in the cut causing the blade to overheat. an inch thickness is quite a bit of meat to cut through, but if running your saw fairly fast, and feeding the wood slowly it can be done, however, stick with quality blades either way.
              I totally agree ,but the conditions of the material thier thickness Has not changed nor the blade type or brand ,from utter failure to usable stable ability
              to work under adverse over load conditions ,save one minor change in operation of the cutting process. after further cutting on same project under same blades & conditions I believe has bearing on life and sharpness of all blades to a lesser degree and is confirmed by tips related to std style blades posted here in
              many articles ,had I not overloaded this project ,I probably would not have
              the dramatic results ,causing me to prosue the actual cause ,which would allow
              higher stacking ,reducing dramaticly time and cost especially for those of you
              in the commerical end of scrolling !Has any body got any feed back on flat end fd new scroll blades ,before I order !
              Thank you for your response !
              My very best to you !
              Carl

Comment

Carl, I would have to say 2 things. First, I would use a quality blade & not those from Lowes or H Depot. You have to remember, the wood is so thick, it takes a lot more cleaning of dust as you cut or it will get hot. I would not stack cut that much. Reduce the thickness & see the difference. I use spiral blades a lot, but, not on that thick of a project. Good Luck
                PERK

Comment

Use flying Dutchman blades from Mike. You will be amazed.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Carl E Jacobs View Post
                    I am working on In memory:Eagle portrait ,following guide line rec,s 46 tooth
                    spiral blade ,first let me tell you ,I am four stacking 1/4 "ply wood ,over std. thickness ,double lube top and bottom ,I was smoking blades ,no teeth left ,one to two holes ,small ,I mean small ,running extreamely slow ,changed 788 speed
                    still smoking blades went thru 16 in 25 holes,I went to lowes ,no larger blades
                    bought 3 dozen more ,put in 1 st. same results ,checked table sq. O.K. the it
                    hit me like a rock ,I jacked the speed of the saw back up and cut for 15 minutes
                    about 9 holes ,same blade just starting to get dull,can any body tell me what the
                    only 1 thing I did not do to eliminate the problem completely ! by the way most of those were the largest cuts on the tail so I was cutting 40 times the material
                    then before without wearing out or breaking the blade !

I've never used that many spirals before ,after finding this out ,I kinda like them
                    ,I always had breakage issues before so I avoided them .

By doing it this way I hoping to learn alot about spiral blades and cutting with them !

My very Best !
                    Carl
                    I don't think it is you, I think it is the blades you are using. If I recall correctly the blades that lowes sells are the Vermont brand (or omething like that). I started off using them and had the same basic problem. I started using the Flying Dutchman blade and will never buy blades from lowes again. I think that you will find Mikes blades will last much longer.
                    CHRIS

http://www.members.cox.net/messman123/messman.htm

Comment

I am about to do just that,However ,I won't swear to it but ,I think the first two or three,were fd , Christmas ,has delayed ,a lot of things ,including ordering extras,at this point ,backing up straight seems to be the problem causing the problem,I suspect the the extra height of the stack especially ply wood ,may be the culprit ,there seems to be a "V" in the cutting stroke ,slide a stack sideways and just touch the blade to just bare start a cut ,remove and see the V ,at this point ,I believe going back wards severly dulls and supper heats the blade
                      because of the depth of the stack caused by the V ,If I do not backup ,but turn the work piece no problem ,if I shorten the stack ,it doesn't really effect it if I backup !Going to order
                      FD'S any way ,want to try straight end spirals should load and change easier .I also need more other blades too.I might call and talk to mike about this too.I let you know if I find out anything new.Thanks everybody,Carl

Comment

On an inch of any wood, I would probably be cutting with a #5 (#3 minimum) and most of the spirals I have seen are smaller than that. The amount of load you are putting on such a thin blade is probably the main cause of you failures.

Between the glue holding the plies together and the very cross grain nature of the building a "wood sandwich" will also contribute to your problems.

Mike is a good source, but he can't change the nature of the problem--too much cut with the wrong blade.
                        Jim
                        When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                        Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                          Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                          by NC Scroller
                          I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
                          Today, 11:24 AM
                        • NC Scroller
                          Reply to Big week here
                          by NC Scroller
                          Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
                          Today, 11:18 AM
                        • jim_mex
                          Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                          by jim_mex
                          Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Norma and I are still growing into our 'new' home but are really happy that we got this work done and everyone who has seen the transformation have been wowed.

From my side I'm really pleased with how my kitchen extension idea worked out....
                          Today, 09:17 AM
                        • jim_mex
                          Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                          by jim_mex
                          Hi guys - it seems like I am back in business. The offending 'F' key seemed to lack sufficient travel to push down on the main board so I stuck a thin sliver of plastic under it with super glue and that seems to have solved the problem.

The only downside is I now have no excuses for my...
                          Today, 08:42 AM
                        • Rolf
                          Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                          by Rolf
                          WOW! I really like your taste in doors etc. I have have always leaned towards contemporary / modern. But our house is a small cape and that style would not suit it. Since we are both Geminis we have 4 people and our house is very eclectic. Each room has a bit of different style.
                          Today, 08:20 AM
                        Working...
                        X