Question about patenting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about patenting

Hello I have been of line for about 11 months. If you go back to my previous posts you will see that I make "Shape Shifting Scroll Saw Puzzles". I started making them about 3 years ago. If you read my previous posts you can read about them and see pictures of them. It turns out to my surprise that no one else had ever heard of them before I started to make them. Apparently I invented them.

When I show them to people they say I should patent them. I am 77 years old. I am a retired university professor and researcher. I am not a businessman, I have no need to make a lot of money. I want to teach anyone who is interested how to make Shape Shifting puzzles.

My question is, can someone else take out a patent on my work if it is now in the public domain? Can they then prevent me from making my own puzzles?

Dr. John W. Evans

I moved your thread to a more appropriate forum to maximize traffic and get you more responses to your request/question.
    Last edited by wood-n-things; 10-01-2011, 09:55 AM.

Dr. Evans,

I'm no attorney but you hear of people taking others ideas and making them their own all the time. This is the very reason they have a patent and copyright law.

I would say the answer to your question is ...Yes someone else could very well steal your idea and apply for a patent or copyright on it if you do not do so. Sad but true.

Here is a link to one of your older posts so folks can see examples of your work. Which are very unique.
    http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/scr...zles/16176.htm
    Last edited by wood-n-things; 10-01-2011, 10:02 AM.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Looks like even you couldn't get a patent on it now:

"Before you begin a patent search, start by finding out if your idea is one that can be patented. The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) Web site has detailed explanations of what can and cannot be patented. The most common type of patent, a utility patent, can be granted for a "new, nonobvious and useful process, machine, article of manufacture, composition of matter or improvement of any of the above." There are also design patents, which are granted for "ornamental design of an article of manufacture."

What does "new" mean when it comes to patents? An invention cannot be considered new if it was known or used by anyone in the U.S., or patented or described in a printed publication in the U.S. or a foreign country. It also cannot be considered new if it was in public use or for sale in the U.S. more than one year before you filed your patent application. This means that even if you are the one who put your (unpatented) product on sale, used it publicly or described it in print, you must apply for a patent on it before one year has gone by, or you will lose the right to a U.S. patent on the product."

source: Has My Invention Already Been Patented? | North America > United States from D&B Small Business Portal
      Keith Fenton
      Scroll saw patterns @
      www.sheilalandrydesigns.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X