Left or right side of the blade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left or right side of the blade?

I have found that if I keep the part of the wood that I want to keep on my right side of the blade I can control things better.
    That may be because that is just the way I have been cutting or because that is the more aggressive side of the blade. Not sure which, or, it could be lots of other reasons that I never considered.
    How about you?
    In your cutting have you found this to be true for you? Is one side or the other working better for you?
    Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
    Desert Woodcrafters
    Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

StevenD, I cut the same way you do. I believe most scrollers keep the wood that will fall out on the right side, if they go off the line the blade cuts into the waste. I cut both ways but I would say 90% of the time I cut like you. I am just more comfortable cutting that way.
    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

I always cut counterclockwise. In fretwork the piece I keep is on the rights but in Intarsia it is on the left. Just my own 2 cents. I am also capable of cutting the other way but it's not preferred.

Comment

Since I tend to wander off the line to the right, I cut with the waste side on the right side. This is not universal, however.

Comment

Correction to what I said! I cut clockwise. The rest is correct. Sorry for the lapse in thought!

Comment

Crum, I'm cutting counter clock or is that winder shins?
            Mick, I have the good stuff on the right not the fall off stuff.
            Humm.... well... it's working for me so far. Perhaps I need to try the other way. Or not.

StephenD

Desert Woodcrafters

Comment

I change from one side to the other so that I am not limited in my learning/practice. When doing double bevel Inlay on the scroll saw it is important whch side of the blade the "Waste" is on. It is done on different sides of the blade depending on the pattern. I do a lot of inlay and it is unforgiving, It must be cut all in one pass and there is no going back over part of a cut. Learning to cut on both sides of the blade has helped me a lot to do the inlay cuts.
              Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
              "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Most of my cutting is done with the waste to right of the blade. Just works for me that way best.

Comment

I wonder if it makes any difference as to which eye is dominent or if you are left or right handed?
                  Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

I cut with the save piece on the right of the blade, but will cut with the save piece on the left if the situation calls for it or if it's an intricate area where I want to go a bit slower and have more control. I think the most important thing is to understand is about the set of the blade and how the teeth are sharper on the right. Then use the direction that works best for that part of the project. I agonized over which side to cut on and have learned that most other folks keeps the "save" to the right, yet will switch and keep it on the left now & then.

Comment

Yup to what Blondwood said. I do use the saved wood to the left if necessary but mostly keep that to the right.

StephenD

Desert Woodcrafters

Comment

I try to vary cutting clockwise or counterclockwise so that so that I do not become too dominant one way. Either way is just as easy

Comment

Mostly with the waste to the right but often the other way. Depends on the way the pattern works out.

george
                          A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
                          George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                            Reply to Farmers market
                            by will8989
                            Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                            Today, 10:31 PM
                          • tgiro01
                            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                            by tgiro01
                            Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                            Today, 09:38 PM
                          • Linda In Phoenix
                            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                            by Linda In Phoenix
                            It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                            Today, 06:47 PM
                          • Linda In Phoenix
                            Reply to Plastic puzzle
                            by Linda In Phoenix
                            Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                            Today, 06:38 PM
                          • Jim Finn
                            Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                            by Jim Finn
                            The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
                            Today, 04:48 PM
                          Working...
                          X