This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • earlinjax
    • Mar 2005

Very Good! There is always a real sense of accomplishment to finish one JZ's patterns.

Earl

Comment

• jigsue
      Registered User - Level 2
      • Feb 2007

That was a super tutorial and I am sure that everyone learned soemthing. for me it was how to get the pattern off in one piece (until now I have spent hours, scraping each little piece off with my thumbnail and only using spirit for the stubborn bits). Painting on the spirit seems a much cooler idea.

I have noticed that a few of you use "painter's tape". What is this. Is it like paperish masking tape or more like sellotape?

Finally, I have also read about burning away the "fuzzies", but have never had the nerve - don't want to watch hours of work smoking away. Seeing you use it on such a delicate piece has instilled more confidence. Perhaps the kitchen blowtorch (like the family hairdryer) will make its way into the workshop.

Your finished piece is fantastic, as was your tutorial.

Thanks again

Sue

Comment

• newscroller
        Member - Level 2
        • Mar 2008

Bill,
        Great thread, and a very good job, I love it. Keep the photos coming.One question I have is how do you avoid breaking the unsupported pieces, while cutting the other parts of the project. especially that area in the middle of the wing. How does this taping trick work? Maybe you or Evie could explain it. There are so many kinds of painters tape out there, which one is the best choice?
        Hank, in Georgia - Dewalt 788 Scroller.

Comment

• lcwoodworks
          • Oct 2008

That is awesome, being new I can really appreciate the progress you posted here, thank you very much. One question I have is when doing stack cutting do you use tape to bind the stacks together, or what do you do? Again great work and thanks!

Comment

• ozarkhillbilly
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2005

Thanks for the compliments glad you enjoyed it.

I do use painters tape on my projects to hold the stacked pieces together. here is a link to a thread that had a good discussion on this subject.

As you will see there are many different ways folks secure their projects.
            Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

• tony coleman
              • Sep 2008

bill,nice job.where do you get the patience.when i do fretwork i like to do cut that have a instant impact on the project.i dont think i could do what you have done.keep up the good work.

lets make plenty of sawdust......
              not doing much
              and busy doing it

having fun making sawdust.

http://www.customcutz4you.webs.com/

Comment

• Carl E Jacobs
                • Feb 2010

Amazing piece w/ self portrait enclosed

I've looked at this several times in awe ,and respect .Today , I revisited it and saw your( hidden self portrait) in victory mode . some guys sign their work others enclose their portrait ,COOL !
                "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
                Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Stephen Dewing
                  Reply to Marc Tovar MLT-13 Wooden Clock
                  by Stephen Dewing
                  Thank you for your replies, especially the dimensions of the cruch. Very helpful. Thank you. This is the book I got the clock from. Apart from the diameter of the brass rod, it doesn't have any other dimensions. ​...
                  Today, 03:09 AM
                • Don in Brooklin On
                  Reply to Archive CD Volume 7
                  by Don in Brooklin On
                  I was going to order and I was having lots of difficulties with the website so I wrote to them and got the following which states they will put on thumb drive. This was a couple of months ago and so I will try again. The shipping was huge and so I was going to send to my sister in Myrtle Beach I could...
                  04-16-2024, 12:30 PM
                • Sandy Oaks
                  by Sandy Oaks
                  Now I wish they were on thumb drive as both the desk and laptop do not have drives for CD
                  04-16-2024, 09:54 AM
                • Rolf
                  Reply to Wood Sources
                  by Rolf
                  There is a competitor that was using a different type of sensor. I can't remember who it was.
                  I resaw my own thin wood. I have both the Dewalt 735 and a 19-38 Supermax drum sander. The drum sander is my workhorse especially when I go below 1/4.. serious dust collection a must for both.
                  04-16-2024, 07:47 AM
                • Rolf
                  by Rolf
                  Just ordered it.
                  04-16-2024, 07:39 AM
                Working...