gang shaping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gang shaping

I'm a real fickler about all my intarsia pieces being smooth and flowing, And I really love alot of detail. Lets say you are shaping the wing of a bird or the petals of a flower...you want all the feathers or the petals to follow the same curves. Traditionally, I would use lots of masking tape to try and hold the pieces together while sanding them on a big mean belt sander. Sometimes it works, but many times it becomes an explosion of pieces...and some of those pieces become lost in the shop. My new method is to use hot melt glue instead. Not sure if I discovered this technique or not, but it came to me while driving down the road one day and it works fantastic every time. I just dap a few drops on the lower edges and glue the pieces of, lets say a wing, together. Now they are solid and can be shaped as an entire wing on the belt sander. I take the shaped set into the house and i put it on some tinfoil in the oven at 350 degrees for about 1 min, then reach in and quickly pull it all apart. with a pocket knife i easily scrape off the old hot melt glue. Now i can soften any edges and hand sand each individual piece to perfection.
    Just use a few small dabs, don't go crazy with the hotmelt, or you'll have a big mess to clean up, and be sure to remove any strands that may land on a surface that will later be finished. Hotmelt does not contain silicone either, which is the biggest evil product in a woodworking environment.
    Jeff Powell

now thats a great tip. thanks. Evie

Comment

stickers

Thank you so much. I have used hot melt too but had one heck of a time getting the peices off the backing I glued it to. Didn't think to put it in the oven. Glad your here.

Comment

Dare I say it?

Oh heck, why not...

COOL tip!

Regards,
        Marcel
        http://marleb.com
        DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

that is a good tip....

someone mentioned using hot glue to hold a project together a while back and last night I was wishing I had some to help hold my project together while I was trying to make the pattern to my next piece..

but you took the advice one step further by saying that you put the pieces in the oven to help remove the glue....
          foil...I use a lot of wax paper....

we like learning stuff like this....

Trout
          Last edited by Trout; 08-29-2006, 09:36 PM.
          Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
          Fish are food, not friends!

Comment

I use a hair drier to loosen the cold "hot" glue.....
            T
            Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Another way of loosening hot melt glue is to soak it in turps or mineral spirits,
              (I am not too sure what it is called in the States) It does not take very long before it can be peeled apart and the glue lifted off.
              I use hot melt glue on the lathe to glue a sacrificial spiggot to the bottom of a bowl and use turps to unglue it.

Rhys H.

Comment

You are correct about that, but solvents can cause color bleading such as walnut bleading into Holly. On woods of the same color your safe, but with mixtures of woods, your taking some chances.
                Jeff Powell

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X