fiber glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fiber glass

when i was back visiting my son this year. in Va. he had torn wall papper. glued it all back together in differant shapes on his shower, walls. then used fiber glass to seel it . it looked great. he didn't use the cloth just the reson. or what ever its called. so I thought, what a great idea. maybe i could do this on my outside projects. the paint always pells. I guess to wood expanshion. what do you all think. I thought i broght this up before but can't find where or any relpys. so maybe I dremt it. I thought becouse this is put on boats, and things that go into the salty ocean. and out in the sun. on wood, painted. wouldn't this work on yard scrolled projects. like worrly jigs , sighns, and things like that. any imput would be appreceated. have you ever tryed this.? your friend Evie

and exactly how are you planning to apply this to the inside fretcuts and such if thats indeed what your putting outside? dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Ha Ha Dale. no i am not putting it on little tiny tiny fret work. but it is my understanding it is a reson , and can be brushed on or rollered on. not the cloth , just the reson. i was just wondering if it would have some holding power. in keeping my worrliy jigs from pushing off the paint. drats, i don't know how to say it. here is a couple of pictuers. ok. they always split. and warp. the paint comes off. and have to sand and paint them every year. not to mention they fall apart. unglued and such.
      I was just wondering if anyone here ever tryed this. wouldn't it be a great thing to not have to paint every year. or maybe you do something else. how do you keep your outside things good. without takeing them in every winter??
      Attached Files

Comment

use a good polyurethane marked with the word "spar" . its intended for use in harsh conditions. One other suggestion is to move to a more comfortable climate! Dale
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

here is a couple that is falling apart. and wheatherd. just in one year. outside. soooooooooo what do you all do with you outside things. thanks for any imput. your friend evie
          Attached Files

Comment

thanks Dale, i was posting the last one while you already post. i will try the poly. but moving. not a easy thing to do. i have spent 28 years here. and am to old to move now. so maybe i'll just try the fiber glass, and tell you how it worked. but thanks anyway. Evie

Comment

The fibre glass resin comes in various chemestries.
              you might want to check out this link Evie.
              I am going to look for some others.
              CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
              "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
              Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

thanks Carl. I new you would come through. your friend Evie

Comment

More links for Evie

This is on fiberglass resins http://www.epoxyproducts.com/chemistry.html
                  This covers lots of finishes for kayaks There is tons of info http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Epoxtest.htm

This is for various wood finishing products and techniques http://www.woodzone.com/articles/wood_finishes.htm

An old standby http://www.minwax.com/products/woodprep/
                  and rustoleum http://www.farfanandmendes.com/produ...leum%20pg2.htm
                  CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                  "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                  Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Carl, wow. i put all those in my favorites, i have my reading cut out for me tomarrow. thats great. thanks. MAC HELP just kidding. you guys are the best. your friend Evie

Comment

Just a note, any finish that you use, be it polyester resin, urethane, paint etc.
                      Once water gets under it the finish will peel. With fiberglass resin it will trap the moisture and the wood under it will rot. (I have worked on and built a couple of boats)
                      Your penetrating finishes are better i.e. stain, but I have yet to find anything that will not be destroyed in time by the uv from the sun.
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I've started using automotive clear on my outdoor things. The only problem is that it gives it a very high gloss. But with a UV filter of sorts it should last quite some time. I've got 5 mail box sitters ready to be cleared with 3 more to finish painting. At least I'm finally ahead of the game, for the time being, as I just finished the Halloween witch sitter last night. She'll be ready when October gets here.

Actually, I get the hubby to clear my stuff. I haven't been given the magic key to the mixing ratio with the clear and the hardner. I think he likes to help and this is his way of feeling needed.
                        Kelly
                        "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Comment

A good place to get resin at a good price is:
                          http://www.mrfiberglass.com/

Haven't ordered from them yet, but several pen turners I know have, and they say he has the best prices.

Hope this helps,
                          Draken

Comment

Evie,

The hubby works for Bondo. They also make all sorts of other chemical products, fiberglass resin and epoxy resin included.

I asked him about your question and he said your best bet would be to use an epoxy resin. He said it does have a slight amber cast to it, but it shouldn't really discolor something, except maybe if you have something that's all white.

If you want more info, you can call him at the technical help line at 800-421-2663. He'll be more than happy to answer your questions. His name is Thomas, but Wayne can help you too.
                            Kelly
                            "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Comment

Wow what a lot of impho. thank you all. now i have some things to try. i didn't know there was so many opptions. thanks alot. your friend Evie

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• hotshot
                                Reply to Conclusion of Hydralic Press Story
                                by hotshot
                                I'll go back and try a light emboss, my main intent here was to stand at the other side of the room and watch the pressure gauge from a distance, and see if it would go full force without leaks, so pressing through a 2/4 wasn't really the plan. A pin size leak at 10,000 psi is a very very dangerous...
                                Today, 10:21 PM
                              • Jim McDonald
                                Reply to Conclusion of Hydralic Press Story
                                by Jim McDonald
                                Glad you got repaired and I am intrigued by the embossing idea.
                                Today, 07:27 PM
                              • RJweb
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by RJweb
                                Betty, I see you are working the night shift again, good luck on your next farmers market, RJ...
                                Today, 05:45 PM
                              • hotshot
                                Conclusion of Hydralic Press Story
                                by hotshot
                                So, before I traveled to a larger town to find a place that could help me with my hydraulic hose connection, I took the advice of one of the members here and called around to a few auto-parts stores. The stores I called didn't do that kind of thing, however they directed me to a store here in town that...
                                Today, 05:28 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to My first decent furniture project - Welding and woodwork combined
                                by Rolf
                                The auto darkening helmet is a must have in my opinion, especially for the home hobby welders. if you are a pro and do it all the time maybe not.

Couldn't agree more Rolf. The helmet has been a game changer for me.
                                Today, 08:39 AM
                              Working...
                              X