Elements 6 or PSP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elements 6 or PSP?

Its time to cash in my X-mas gift certificates. I asked for them so I could get the full version of Elements 5 since my trial expired and it was what I was some what familier with. Well as my luck would have it I couldn't find it. All Best Buy has is Elements 6 and Corel PSP. Does anybody have any experience with Elements 6? I swear I saw somewhere that 6 has some bugs still in it and it wasn't worth the upgrade and that 5 was much better. Best Buy doesn't even list 5 on the website. Should I go ahead and get 6 or get PSP and start all over on the learning? I hate to start over but I don't want to waste money on a crappy, bugged up Elements either. I liked Elements 5 because it was pretty easy to get a workable pattern from it that looked good and I've heard PSP was just as good if not better but has a high learning curve.
    How should I spend the X-mas dough?
    Confuscious says, "The cautious seldom err".
    Confuscious didn't own a scrollsaw either.

Personally, I couldn't live without the Adobe processes available in CS and Elements. I never use PSP anymore although that's what I started with. That being said, I wouldn't spend my money on upgrading from Elements 5 to 6. I still use Elements 4 and can't see any reason to upgrade that.

Do you use a Wacom tablet? If not, that's where my Christmas money would go for the next step to enjoying pattern making. Just an idea but software upgrades are over rated in my opinion. Most of the newer processes available in upgrades seem geared towards the serious graphic designer or photo editor much more than what we need for pattern making.

Keep us posted though ... can't wait to hear what you decide.

Andy
    Shoot for the moon. If you miss you'll be headed for a star! www.80artdesigns.com

Comment

I have Elements 5 and have no reason to go to 6. I also have PSP and would keep the Elements 5 if I had to give up one of them. PSP is a good program, but I prefer to use 5 for photo conversions. It is just easier to use for me.

Comment

My problem is that I don't have anything at all. I had the Elements 5 trial version that lasted 30 days and that was it. Elements 6 is the only thing Best Buy has. I'd rather use Elements but if 6 is a bad or buggy program I'll get something else. If its just like 5 except newer I'll get it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start a "which is better for patterns" thread because thats been done. I just can't seem to find any info regarding Elements 6 comparing it to 5.

Comment

From what I've read, the problems surrounding version 6 seem to be associated with Windows Vista. No surprise there huh? It's been out long enough that if there is/was a problem, I can only assume that Adobe has a fix for it ... assume ... you know what they say about that word.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Andy
          Shoot for the moon. If you miss you'll be headed for a star! www.80artdesigns.com

Comment

My best friend Amazon will sell you Elements 5

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_sw...rds=elements+5

There are some cheaper ones on Ebay, too, but I'm an Amazon lover.

Comment

Capt Weasel try out Amazon
              http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...hop+elements+5
              Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

I would "Amazon" it but I have 100 bucks of Best Buy cards to use ad there is nothing else there that I would want.

Comment

Just a thought Capt Weasel, but maybe you could speak to the manager and ask him/her if they could order it for you. Customers come first so they say.
                  Another thought is to find someone willing to swap a $100.00 bill for the cards with you.
                  Last edited by Wood Dog; 12-29-2007, 10:11 PM.
                  Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Let me see if I'm getting it now. When people say Elements 6 isn't worth the upgrade from 5 they mean they can do what they need with 5 and 6 bwould be a waste of money. Not that 6 is a bad program but that it doesn't do anything new that can't already do. Whereas in my case since I don't have anything 6 would be just as good as 5 except costing $100 and I might could get 5 for $70 or so. Its not gonna cost me anything either way. But, the PSP option does intrigue me but I'm not going down the "which is better road".

Comment

You got it Capt!! The version 6 you want will give you everything. PSP will too but you'll start your learning curve over. As for which is the best, no arguement here ... it's whichever one you have in front of you.

All that being said, the Wacom sight advertises the Bamboo fun with pen and mouse for $99.00. If you enjoyed the pattern making from your 30 day free trial of Elements and think even for a moment you want to get serious about pattern making, the Wacom Tablet is essential in my book ... it seriously does jump the level of control up, not just 1 or 2 notches up either, it dramatically improves the pattern process. It's bundled with Adobe Elements version 5 as well. Wacom eStore link My last purchase was from Best Buy, a Graphire 4 that they had on the shelf for $149 (before Bamboo was available). A quick trip to one of their online computers with the store manager and I made them meet the advertised MSRP. Where Best Buy comes up with their prices sometimes I have to question but that's for another post. LOL

Keep up us in the loop ... you're excitement level is contagious.

Andy

Comment

I just searched the web and Amazon has one supplier that has elements 5 for XPs listed at $25.
                        You can take the boy out of the hill country, but you can not take the hill country out of the boy.

Okie's Cuttings and Patterns
                        http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb24/okiearkie/

darrell, the okiearkie

Comment

Chase---Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult.

Visit my album @ http://home.comcast.net/~chasesmeeks...-by-Chase.html and click on the album link.

Comment

I have Elements 6 running on XP with no problems. I upgraded from 4 to 6 mostly because of processing photos in RAW. I could not get my RAW photos to work in Elements 4. I would not hesitate to by Elements 6.
                            Last edited by owler; 02-13-2008, 01:54 PM.
                            Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

I'm running Elements 4 with Vista and 4 is not suppose to be Vista compatable. Of course, Adobe is not going to invest in fixes for old version of software and if I owned the company, i would not do it either.

It seems as if Vista has become semi-compatable with my Elements 4. Version 4 very seldom locks up and loses my work anymore and as long as I remember to save my work every 5 minutes are so it is no problem when it does lock up.
                              You can take the boy out of the hill country, but you can not take the hill country out of the boy.

Okie's Cuttings and Patterns
                              http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb24/okiearkie/

darrell, the okiearkie

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X