Help identify

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identify

8286421C-CA43-4E49-B63D-C086AF98A3D0.jpg 909C290B-81A9-406E-9871-D924D55BB859.jpg 9F8FC98B-63D6-4291-9FC1-41604D1DB8BE.jpg 1C9596EF-3BFD-45A0-BD50-86F8F5FA97E8.jpg I’ve just received this scrollsaw as a gift without the instruction manual.. no name or model number, the motor is hiding by a case underneath..It seems pretty new too.. What type of saw is it? 🤔

It looks like a Heger.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Could it be a Hawk?
      Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
      "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Says Skil Saw, isn’t there a tool company with that name?
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I am not that familiar with vintage Hegners or Hawks. That said Chris indicated that motor is mounted in base, that is similar to modern day Hawks. Table is rectangular similiar to modern day Hegners. Modern day Hegner tables have a slot for blade installation on front end of table. Modern day hawks have a round hole for zero clearance insert similar to this saw, On/Off/ Speed Control switch is located on front of saw. Hawks is located on side of base. I do not see diaphragm or hoses for control. It appears that the OEM took design features from both manufacturers. While there similarties to both manufactures there are also distinct differerences. That is a bit of a mystery.
          cwmagee
          aka Fibber
          Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
            Says Skil Saw, isn’t there a tool company with that name?
            The "Skill Saw" name plate is on the tool behind the scroll saw in question.

Comment

I posted the same question on another group and I believe it’s an Harbour Freight 🫤😟
              Attached Files

Comment

I agree with Chris Pel, it is definitely not a Hawk or Hegner but certainly looks like a clone. all of the early Hawks that I have seen have all aluminum uppers, the only one I know of that was cast were in the G4 era like mine.

I wonder when it was made? My G4 was in the 2005 time frame.
                Last edited by Rolf; 11-27-2022, 08:56 AM.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I do love a good mystery, and internet digging

Looks like this 65406 saw was on the Harbor Freight site from 2009 to 2011. Gotta wonder why harbor freight quit selling it.

Here is the Online Listing for this say from 2011:
                  https://web.archive.org/web/20110920...and-65406.html

Looks very very RBI-ish and RBI did make saws sold under another brand ("Record Power" in England in that late 1990s), but these Harbor Freight saws were less than $300, so I don't think RBI would shoot themselves in the foot with a deal like that, but who knows.

The manual is pretty worthless in my opinion, but you can look at it online here:
                  https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/re...-freight-tools

------Randy
                  "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Hey Rolf, I tried to send DM but system said “No!”. Please DM me. Thanks, Jim

Comment

The closest saw to this that I can find is the Strong scrolll saw from 1986 made in Livonia , michigan. The saw used design ideas from both hegner and RBI saws. Information I have is from The Scroll Saw Handbook by Patrick Spielman (1986). It was a 20 inch saw though not a 26 inch. It was put on the market in 1986.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                        Reply to Harbor Fraught
                        by Rolf
                        I did not read the fine print, actually not that fine. when I went to buy my new compressor for 25% off (not). That would have been nice, but I am still happy with my purchase. Although I have not used it yet as my garage is rather cold.
                        7 deg this morning 50's tomorrow
                        Today, 09:22 AM
                      • Jimern
                        Reply to Harbor Fraught
                        by Jimern
                        Some manufacturers will restrict items for resale to a certain price or basement price. And in some cases will only sell with the agreement of no discounts allowed.

And then there is margin, the retailer needs to make a certain amount of money on all sales.​
                        Today, 09:20 AM
                      • Rolf
                        Reply to Pegas Scroll Saw speed changes randomly
                        by Rolf
                        Have you had big temperature swings in the shop? My first thought is something binding. I fix all of my own stuff and don't hesitate to take things apart to try and isolate where the issue is.
                        That said at only two years old I would contact Denny and see if he can direct you to a Pegas tech center....
                        Today, 09:15 AM
                      • NC Scroller
                        Reply to Pegas Scroll Saw speed changes randomly
                        by NC Scroller
                        Welcome. Could be a number of things. I would call Denny at Art Crafters of Dayton or Ray at Seyco. Both numbers can be found on the internet.
                        Today, 06:47 AM
                      • NC Scroller
                        Reply to Question about tilting head saws
                        by NC Scroller
                        I still use my factory dust collector on my pre Chinese Ex21. No, not for everything that I cut but primarily for compound cutting where we generate a lot of sawdust. I did enhance my dust collector by replacing the membrane wit a piece made on a 3D printer. The enhancements gives a bit of extra...
                        Today, 06:41 AM
                      Working...
                      X