Woodgrain Worked Against Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodgrain Worked Against Me

This is my latest project and I'm still up in the air about it. The wood was reclaimed from a table that someone had thrown away. It is 3/4 MDF with veneer on both sides. The project is 11 x 14 and is pretty heavy. The pattern was from "Grandpa" and I believe his real name is Paul. I used Pegus MGT #3 and #5 and I used a few FD #5 UR. It was rough on blades and because of the weight, it was chore cutting it out on my small table. I actually sanded it down to 300, finished with natural oil stain and coated it with a half dozen coats of clear gloss. The picture looks as though it would be rough but it is actually smooth. Lion Project.jpg

Nice project, I really like the design. You did use a tough piece of material, I would normally suggest cutting at least 3 layers of 1/8 BB because you will get requests of them. I am curious as to why you got some black bleeding into the grain? Is this mounted on a black backer ?
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks Rolf,
      I actually tried painting the inside of the cuts before removing the pattern and tape. I initially used packing tape because I was out of painters tape. When I sprayed the cuts, apparently the paint bled into the fibers of the wood. But I have to say I have been redeemed by my wife. Since the project was hers, she wasn't happy with the light and dark contrast between the two grains and decided to work on it herself. Below is her final results. I must say she did a fantastic job.
      Attached Files

Comment

Woodgrain is like a straw sucking in the pigment, but I think you did a good job on a complex piece. Lots of patience for this pattern.
        Jim
        When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
        Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Rodney you and your wife make a great team! Very nicely done sir.
          Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Like Linda said you guy make a great team. The end result really looks great.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X