Inkscape question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inkscape question

I have a pattern I want to cut smaller. It is a pdf file pattern of a toy that Steve Good made. How do I change the size and not lose the squareness? I look at utube videos but they are way to general going on about ratios and math and I get frustrated. Just click here here and here and you are set. That's what this old geezer needs.
    Thanks.
    Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
    Desert Woodcrafters
    Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

First click the black arrow on the left Look at the red area on drawing. Make sure the pad lock is locked.. I set to inches. change one of the dimensions.. bitmap.png ..
    The other John A. Nelson
    johnsworkshop.com
    sigpic
    I just follow the lines and make sawdust
    on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

Also, depending on Steve's pattern he will add veining in at the end. I always make sure I select all items by hitting ctrl-a. Most patterns are okay but this has bit me a couple of times.

Then do as John shows above.
      Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

If you already have the pattern as a pdf, and just want to reduce it, why not print it out at less than 100%? You can try various percentages until you get the size you want. I don't see why Inkscape needs to be involved.
        Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Carole has hit the easy button.
          Just as easy to scale down as up.
          Jim
          When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
          Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Originally posted by handibunny View Post
            If you already have the pattern as a pdf, and just want to reduce it, why not print it out at less than 100%? You can try various percentages until you get the size you want. I don't see why Inkscape needs to be involved.
            Weelll aint you a smartie. THAT is just what I wanted. Cripes, I didn't know that feature was there.
            Thanks
            Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
            Desert Woodcrafters
            Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

I use rapidresizer when I want to cut a pattern to the size of the wood I have. But first choice is reducing on copier.
              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Steve draws his patterns in CorelDraw, which produces patterns in the CDR format. This is a vector format, just like Inkscape uses. Steve then publishes his patterns as a PDF file. But inside they are still CDR files. So if you open Inkscape and import any of Steve's patterns (Ctrl-I, then select the page you want to import) the pattern comes in as a vector diagram perfectly. Then all you have to do is select it, click on the padlock (as KeystoneCop discussed) and you are home free. Make it ANY size you want and it will always be an exact copy.

Comment

Interesting. But how would you know that the PDF could be imported in vector format, without knowing how Steve works? I always assumed that once a pattern or document was sent as a PDF that was the only way it could be accessed.
                  Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Most drawing programs will import PDF files. For printer settings.

size you want / original = percentage x 100 If you want a 4" final size the original is 11"

4 /11=.363 .36*100= 36 that is the scale you would enter in the printer.

I like reducing it in my drawing program and saving the smaller version for future use.
                    Note always set your printer back to actual or no scaling. I never set mine to "fit page" it will bite you at some point.
                    Last edited by Rolf; 05-01-2021, 08:27 AM.
                    Rolf
                    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                      Reply to My computer issues.
                      by Rolf
                      Jim it did work the last time I tried it but it has been a while.
                      Today, 01:12 PM
                    • planeur
                      Reply to A Bear In The Woods
                      by planeur
                      Très beau John and original !😎 Like it very much, and cherry is the perfect wood for a bear.....!😉😁
                      planeur
                      Today, 06:59 AM
                    • Jimern
                      by Jimern
                      Worth a try, but very rarely works. During the install in windows, the software registers links (for want of a better word) which are required for it to operate. install is what is needed...
                      Today, 06:51 AM
                    • handibunny
                      Reply to New turning tools
                      by handibunny
                      Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Your work is always a treat to look at!
                      Today, 05:34 AM
                    • will8989
                      by will8989
                      I clean it up and stuff regularly. If I do a lot of typing, spreadsheets, etc., I use the computer as it’s faster for me but take the tablet to shows and markets to post from there. I also use my rapid resizer program on the tablet when I want to change a pattern and am downstairs. I really need a...
                      Yesterday, 11:16 PM
                    Working...
                    X