Wood identification needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood identification needed

I have a new neighbor who did a lot of woodworking in the past but had to give it up because of allergies. He sold his shop equipment and wood stockpile when he moved here, however he kept a few pieces of fancy wood and showed them to me. The first one (First Photo) he had no idea what it was. It is dark and fairly heavy, approx. 8"w x 40" x 1" thick. Any help with the identification is appreciated.

The other one is marked "Moradillo" and is about the same size. (See the second photo, the front two pieces are marked Moradillo, the taller piece in the back looks like walnut.) Has anyone worked with Moradillo or have any ideas how to use it. He has offered them to me and I am open to ideas. They are almost too beautiful to cut. He also has a gorgeous piece of birds-eye maple. unknown wood .jpg mortadillo wood.jpg
    Attached Files

The first picture is Wenge, pronounced WHEN-ghay or WHEN-Gii. It is a very hard wood. It’s splintery and very hard to cut. When finished, it is almost black. I use it when I need a black wood for Intarsia. I do not know anything about the other wood.
    Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

If you google "Moradillo" you'll get more information than you'll ever need. It looks like it will work up beautifully.
      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

This site should be on every woodworkers computer. https://www.wood-database.com/ As has been said the first image is Wenge.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I did the suggested research and with my allergy problems, I may pass on the Wenge. The Moradillo, also known as Bolivian Rosewood, Morado and Pau Ferro is beautiful. I might give this one a try.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• keystonecop
            Reply to elementary questions
            by keystonecop
            I cut over 100 3/4" hardwood puzzles evey year.. I use #% Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse or Pegas Modified Geometry blades. They are easier for young children and older adults. If you going to paint.. that will effect the parts as well.. I only tried that a few times. the pieces stuck together for...
            Today, 12:48 PM
          • Sandy Oaks
            Dream Catchers Cardinal and Hummingbird
            by Sandy Oaks
            I finally finished two Dream Catchers, one with a Cardinal and the other Hummingbird. The dream catchers made from Ash and the feathers Walnut and Maple. The Hummingbird is Cherry and the Cardinal from various hardwoods. The finish is a coat of spray Shellac as a sealer and two coats MinWax spray Lacquer...
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.
            Today, 12:42 PM
          • Sandy Oaks
            Parrot
            by Sandy Oaks
            A pattern by Sue Mey. Finished two different ways. One is framed with a Birdseye Frame and the other backed with 3/8" Baltic Birch plywood stained black. Stack cut 1/8" BB plywood on a Pegas Scroll Saw using Pegas #1R MGT blades. In fact, I used only one blade on the project.
            Today, 11:37 AM
          • Sandy Oaks
            Cat Angel
            by Sandy Oaks
            A pattern by Sue Mey. Finished two different ways. One is framed with a Birdseye Frame and the other backed with 3/8" Baltic Birch plywood stained black. Stack cut 1/8" BB plywood on a Pegas Scroll Saw using Pegas #1R MGT and #1 Spiral blades. The letters with the MGT blade and the rest with...
            Today, 11:36 AM
          • hotshot
            Reply to Bruce at the sawmill
            by hotshot
            I would love to have something like that near me. I love that old machinery.
            Today, 11:08 AM
          Working...
          X