Wood identification needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood identification needed

I have a new neighbor who did a lot of woodworking in the past but had to give it up because of allergies. He sold his shop equipment and wood stockpile when he moved here, however he kept a few pieces of fancy wood and showed them to me. The first one (First Photo) he had no idea what it was. It is dark and fairly heavy, approx. 8"w x 40" x 1" thick. Any help with the identification is appreciated.

The other one is marked "Moradillo" and is about the same size. (See the second photo, the front two pieces are marked Moradillo, the taller piece in the back looks like walnut.) Has anyone worked with Moradillo or have any ideas how to use it. He has offered them to me and I am open to ideas. They are almost too beautiful to cut. He also has a gorgeous piece of birds-eye maple. unknown wood .jpg mortadillo wood.jpg
    Attached Files

The first picture is Wenge, pronounced WHEN-ghay or WHEN-Gii. It is a very hard wood. It’s splintery and very hard to cut. When finished, it is almost black. I use it when I need a black wood for Intarsia. I do not know anything about the other wood.
    Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

If you google "Moradillo" you'll get more information than you'll ever need. It looks like it will work up beautifully.
      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

This site should be on every woodworkers computer. https://www.wood-database.com/ As has been said the first image is Wenge.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I did the suggested research and with my allergy problems, I may pass on the Wenge. The Moradillo, also known as Bolivian Rosewood, Morado and Pau Ferro is beautiful. I might give this one a try.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• millwab
            Reply to elementary questions
            by millwab
            Dan, your questions are a little tough to answer without knowing a little more about this puzzle you're cutting. That said, here are my thoughts:
            • First of all, it would be helpful to know the overall size of this puzzle and how many pieces you're thinking of cutting it into. 1/2" BB is pretty
            Today, 07:09 PM
          • dwssr2
            elementary questions
            by dwssr2
            So I am making a puzzel for a co worker, not real intricagte, I am using 1/2 baltic birch, I almost always use fdur blades. My questions are what size blade sholuld I use, considering finish, and what size entry hole should I drill?
            Next question is how to finish? When painting puzzles, different...
            Today, 11:49 AM
          • Sandy Oaks
            Reply to ArtCrafters - Pegas Scroll Saw Blades
            by Sandy Oaks
            Thanks Linda. I got the email and sent you a reply. I hope I answered the questions....
            Today, 11:33 AM
          • Linda In Phoenix
            Reply to ArtCrafters - Pegas Scroll Saw Blades
            by Linda In Phoenix
            Hey Denny---I shot you an email with a few questions. I might just have to dip my toe into the world of Pegas blades vs FD. At least to try! Open minded explorations. Thank you ! Linda
            Today, 10:29 AM
          • Linda In Phoenix
            Reply to Having a Betty week
            by Linda In Phoenix
            Be careful---soon she will be able to outrun you! Remember when fridges lasted for decades?! Glad she's doing well.
            Today, 10:12 AM
          Working...
          X