Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work in Progress. What is with FOX publishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there specific issues about how the patterns are printed that cause everyone problems? If not, whatever they change made to make some of you happy will make others unhappy. I prefer things published at 100% if practical.

Maybe what's needed is a comprehensive article with all the possible ways to copy and resize patterns of different sizes. I think there are a lot of those on the internet already. They don't have to be specific to Scroll Sawing.

As an exercise, I just made a copy of the big fish from the last issue using the method I mentioned above. It took about 10 minutes. I will admit that it was a minor challenge to copy because of how it was printed on the pull-out.

Edited to add that was typing this before Rolf posted his article. I do have a ledger size scanner/printer but I did not use that when I made a copy of the fish pattern I mentioned because I know most don't have one. For anyone interested it is a Brother MFC-8490 I picked up around 11 years ago.
    Last edited by markdavd; 01-23-2021, 10:13 AM.

Comment

I think that it important for any business to keep track of what their customers are concerned about. If a business ignores such things, they will suffer in the long run. Ignoring comments in your own forum or not replying to emails is not a good strategy. Good companies are always on the lookout for how they can improve and asking their customers for suggestions.

When I was working, this was an important part of our job. Of course, we looked at the cost benefits for improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Quartz43 View Post
        I think that it important for any business to keep track of what their customers are concerned about. If a business ignores such things, they will suffer in the long run. Ignoring comments in your own forum or not replying to emails is not a good strategy. Good companies are always on the lookout for how they can improve and asking their customers for suggestions.

When I was working, this was an important part of our job. Of course, we looked at the cost benefits for improvement.
        First I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest. Sorry for that. I will share that Kaylee Schofield reached out to me after my post (not sure if this forum or Facebook. From my past experience with her, she cares. I do believe she will address this issue. I do not think she is the type of person who reacts too fast and will come up with a good solution.

I cannot disagree with what you have said, or what you would like from this.. I think the main point is it has been brought to the right peoples attention for a resolution. (I like several others have cut for the magazine, I treat it as an honor and not a job).. I have given my strong opinion on what patterns that I would not cut several times. I am grateful to those cutters who can correct patterns and keep the flow going.. We are running thin on good pattern designers.

I also would like to apologize for my inability to say things correctly
        (I have a very difficult time putting into words what is in my old brain. 20 years ago I was a operating system programmer.. they paid a guy 30$ hour more than me to get on to paper what was in my head)..
        The other John A. Nelson
        johnsworkshop.com
        sigpic
        I just follow the lines and make sawdust
        on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

I am very glad to hear this and that Fox will look into the issue. Hopefully, they can do some things to try to make it easier to copy patterns.

Comment

Reading these replies, I am still trying to figure out what the problem really is. I haven't noticed changes in how they publish recently and I don't think I ever had trouble making copies of of the patterns I want to cut.

How did you copy the patterns 10 years ago? What has changed?

***Note: If they make changes to make some of you happy but make it harder for me and others, we will not be happy.***

BTW - who else considers preparing the pattern is part of the process, just like how to attach it, what glue to use, to use tape, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by markdavd View Post
              Reading these replies, I am still trying to figure out what the problem really is. I haven't noticed changes in how they publish recently and I don't think I ever had trouble making copies of of the patterns I want to cut.

How did you copy the patterns 10 years ago? What has changed?

***Note: If they make changes to make some of you happy but make it harder for me and others, we will not be happy.***

BTW - who else considers preparing the pattern is part of the process, just like how to attach it, what glue to use, to use tape, etc.
              This is not a problem with the magazine for my issue.. It is a problem with the book having resized the drawings without giving the actual size.

I do again apologize for my post.. I cannot use the right words to explain it.. so maybe someone should just remove the post.
              The other John A. Nelson
              johnsworkshop.com
              sigpic
              I just follow the lines and make sawdust
              on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

Maybe nothing has changed ? But is there anything that can be done to make it easier. The very large projects are difficult to copy over several pages and put together properly. I believe in making improvements and not preserving the status quo.

I enjoy the challenge of cutting a project but not the challenge of cut and paste.

Comment

John your original post is a valid question. It is a simple thing to put in the original scale assuming that it was on the original drawing. As a minimum the size of the material required can be stated, although that has been a confusion for folks that have built the clock projects. I field a lot of questions about that. People look at the material sheet and think that is the dimension of the final piece.

Quartz do you have any suggestions on how it could be made easier?
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I often resize just to fit the size of the wood I have on hand. I agree this is a no win situation because of the various software, hardware differences plus the skill level of us, the end users. Even providing the patterns in a digitized format will no fix this because of the reasons I already mentioned. I do have a few wishes/suggestions:
                    1. I do wish that FC would respond to topics like this. They do not need to do so daily. In my opinion a few minutes once a week or so would be good PR for the forum and good for FC. It shows that they care.

2. On over sized patterns in the magazine, bigger than 8 1/2 x 11, add registration marks to make it easier to join the pieces.

3. Run a series of articles on using various, readily available, products to help people learn to copy/scan and then manipulate pattern sizes. Sure I have taught myself enough to get by but I know others that have no idea how to plus there are always "better" ways.
                    Scott
                    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

There are a lot of good points brought up here. Some may be easy to correct, others not so much. As far as Fox Chapel replying to this thread, I am trying to imagine a response that would not have made at least some people upset.

As far as the pattern size in the books, I believe the physical size is due to the capabilities of the printer of the books. I do agree that adding the % needed to increase the pattern to 100% along with a small printed scale (ruler) that would enlarge to 1 inch for verification when the page is increased to the correct %.

On the magazine pull-outs, a faint 1" grid might be nice to serve as registration marks.

Let me add - there are thousands of articles and videos already on the internet with how-to's on scanning, copying and resizing patterns for almost all hardware and software currently available. FC could not possibly do a better and more complete job than what already exists. Even if they tried, it would be outdated within a few months. Instead, do a quick search on "scan and resize patterns to print" for a list. If there are too many, add your scanner/printer model or favorite software to narrow the search.

Comment

+1 on NC Scroller's suggestions. I would add that on appropriate patterns stop using the grey as it would make it easier to copy.

It says a lot if Fox Publishing does not comment on an issue like this. Even if they said they are aware that people have concerns and are looking into it would be a good response.

Comment

I dropped my subscription long ago, so maybe I should not chime in, but I dropped it mostly due to the pattern pull out.

I do not have a flat bed scanner, nor do I want one, so that is my issue.

But the result is that if I cut a pattern to scan, I have also cut the parts of a pattern on the reverse side.

To think that FC feels it is ok for me to use a print shop, at my cost, to get a copy of the pattern, and enlarge or reduce it as needed is ludicrous. And that assumes I can get the correct size copy the first time for the wood blank I need to use.

Seems to me that since each subscriber has a customer number, it can't be too much trouble to load up the pattern masters in a folder. Then allow the subscribe to log in, and download the one pattern they want. FC has to have the patterns in electronic format anyway, so it is just copy or move to the monthly folder.

Will there be sharing and "theft" by unauthorized log ins? Sure there will but do you really think it will so much worse than sharing a copy made at Kinko's?

And yes I did send something like this idea to FC and heard no response, nor has there been any.
                          Back to lurk mode.
                          Jim
                          Texas - The Republic
                          With the exception of hand guns and Tequila, computers have caused more problems than anything else

Comment

Jim that is why there are now CD's available for past issues. To me a copier/scanner and printer are a necessary part of my tool inventory. JMO
                            Rolf
                            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by markdavd View Post
                              Let me add - there are thousands of articles and videos already on the internet with how-to's on scanning, copying and resizing patterns for almost all hardware and software currently available. FC could not possibly do a better and more complete job than what already exists. Even if they tried, it would be outdated within a few months. Instead, do a quick search on "scan and resize patterns to print" for a list. If there are too many, add your scanner/printer model or favorite software to narrow the search.
                              I haven't posted in a few months but I have been keeping up. I agree with what Mark is saying. To make everything for everyone would be very difficult. And I understand (from my wife's perspective) that computer apps are totally made for nerds - in her opinion. The breakdown is often between two of basic causes: "terminology" and "concept". The same Words mean different things to different people when it comes to fields of which they are not familiar.

And Sizing is a conundrum for many people. There are many possibilities and probabilities that are intricately connected. I can scan and resize in a matter of minutes - for "screen size" or for "print size" and the two are different. I started using Photoshop back in the early 90's not long after it came out. But that doesn't help those that have difficulty. My wife is gifted in many areas but when she has a problem with her computer and the only words I know are technical words, so confusion takes place in communication. Therefore, I have learned to either fix it myself or offer to teach her (which she does not remember), but she does appreciate the fact that I "offered" to teach her.

If I were having difficulty scanning and sizing, I would find someone (probably a younger tech minded person) and have them teach me, or have them on call to assist in sizing, and reward them with a gift that I would make for them. I had something that was needed to be enlarged considerably a couple of years ago and went to Office Depot and had them do it for me. It cost less than $10, IIRC.

Office Depot/FedEx offices may cost but if it is once a month or 3 to 4 times a year, They can be helpful

I have three great daughters, two of which are very tech savvy and I often call on them when it comes to the detailed operation of a "smart phone". I can handle computers but smart phones are quite different and SMALL.
                              Last edited by leehljp; 01-25-2021, 11:42 PM.
                              Hank Lee
                              Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

Rolf
                                I have a scanner, just it is not a flat bed scanner. My other businesses require the scanning of multiple receipts and it is just easier to feed them all in the input tray and push a button and done/

Oh and I have printers

RE the CD, they are not free, I am talking about a subscription benefit, log in, find the month, find the name of the pattern and download that ONE pattern.

Very odd for a forum, I usually compose my answers in a word processor (I am not that great a typist) and copy and paste, but this place does not allow the paste function - at least today it does not
                                Jim
                                Texas - The Republic
                                With the exception of hand guns and Tequila, computers have caused more problems than anything else

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X