Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work in Progress. What is with FOX publishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work in Progress. What is with FOX publishing?

IMG_0196.JPG
    The Black walnut version was cut from a pattern from Creative Woodworks and Crafts magazine. That cutting was published in Scroll Saw woodworking and crafts magazine. When I got my copy of Woodworker's Pattern Book: 78 Realistic Fretwork Animals (Fox Chapel Publishing) I was surprised by the size of the patterns in the book. After many steps I have converted some patterns to a PDF and enlarged so that I could cut it with #3 and #1 MDT blades.

3 Comments
    Comment
    Attached Files
    The other John A. Nelson
    johnsworkshop.com
    sigpic
    I just follow the lines and make sawdust
    on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Nice job and looks great.

This does seem to be a problem with some patterns. It is not easy to copy the larger patterns. Maybe, they could provide guidance on how to copy on 8-1/2 x 11 paper.

Comment

Nice cutting. The problem with trying to give guidance is everybody has different computers, software, printers and scanners. What works for one person won't work for another.

When I am copying a pattern from a book, if there is any distortion due to the page rolling toward the binding then I carefully cut the page from the book. I use my copier/scanner and if I want to increase the size, I enter the percentage and make multiple copies, moving the page around between each copy so I get the entire pattern. Then I trim the pages so there is about 1/4 inch overlap and attach those to each other using glue stick.

Comment

John, I must have missed something in your post I am a bit slow this morning, "what is with Fox publishing". What did you mean by that
        Last edited by Rolf; 01-22-2021, 09:29 AM.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

When I saw that pattern in the book, I thought not for me. You did a wonderful cutting on it.
          Denny
          ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

I think he is talking about the size of the patterns lately and extra steps needed to copy and resize them. It took me an hour to copy the fish from the latest issue with all the folding, cutting to match, tape, repeat. If it had been letter or legal size, I could have copied and resize with less hassle. As it was, I reduced it 25% and still had to fold, copy, cut, tape, repeat. The layered nativity in the last issue would have taken 3 sheets for each layer. Fold, copy, cut tape, repeat. Had either of these been on letter or legal paper, I could have scanned into my rapid resizer program, put in size I wanted and it would have printed out the sheets with lines to match for taping. A 1 hour process reduced to 15 minutes or less. We all use programs for resizing, it makes no sense for super large patterns. As I don’t do the detailed fretwork cutting, I don’t know how this would affect that. So far, no one from fox chapel has addressed our concerns on this issue which is also discussed in Spring Issue forum. A simple response of We’re looking to it would have been sufficient for now. If I would ignore my customer concerns or questions, I would have no customers.
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
              John, I must have missed something in your post I am a bit slow this morning, "what is with Fox publishing". What di you mean by that
              The original pattern was 7 1/2 x 13 1/4.. The book has no mention of resizing on all but one page. My guess the magazine and the book side of fox has no one who scrolls.. the last books have shown that. enlarged I had to use a #1 blade for many cuts. If I had just copied the pattern in its silver gray and white I don't see how anyone could cut it. I have cut many of Wayne and Jacob Foollers work.. they are easier to cut than you might think if done at the right size. http://johnsworkshop.com/wayne-fowler-jacob-fowler/.

if you go here and clcik the images you can see a few of the patterns. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...1-dc3240e894a8

before that they had pencil drawings of puzzles.. they did not have anyone cut Fiona's Bread and Cheese from the pattern. the pattern was done after the cutting and had several BAD spots.
              I am just feed up with the quality of what they are doing.
              The other John A. Nelson
              johnsworkshop.com
              sigpic
              I just follow the lines and make sawdust
              on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

This is a case were the publisher can't win.

I personally like the patterns to be printed at the artist's intended size if at all possible. Let me decide to reduce or enlarge. If I don't have the equipment to make a copy at 100%, that's my problem not the publishers. We all have our own work-arounds.

The ideal would be a site where subscribers can download an electronic copy. Of course people without reliable internet or without a computer would complain and we would see the patterns shared with non-subscribers.

Comment

Perhaps, we could hear from Fox. Maybe they could try some things and see if it makes things better. Or, they can just keep doing the things the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by markdavd View Post
                    This is a case were the publisher can't win.

I personally like the patterns to be printed at the artist's intended size if at all possible. Let me decide to reduce or enlarge. If I don't have the equipment to make a copy at 100%, that's my problem not the publishers. We all have our own work-arounds.

The ideal would be a site where subscribers can download an electronic copy. Of course people without reliable internet or without a computer would complain and we would see the patterns shared with non-subscribers.
                    I agree with you Mark, I am constantly changing or adapting my patterns to suit my taste or the size of the wood that is available to me. Thinking about electronic versions of the patterns, that would be great. But very hard to control. It amazes me how many people have no scruples about sharing.

Have any of you sent an e-mail to the editors with your concerns?

Another thing, I understand that FC has setup a workshop at their new facility and several members of the staff are cutting and making some of the projects.
                    Rolf

Comment

It would be truly helpful if all publications were to clearly state on each pattern "enlarge pattern by x% for full size" or something like that which would clue the user in. But I'm like Rolf....I change the size of every pattern to get what I want.
                      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

But Rolf are they copying them on home size copy machine and/or using programs to enlarge or shrink them? So I guess no one at Fox reads their forum anymore and knows what is being talked about?
                        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I have recently written to the editor and made her aware of the two recent posts and asked her to chime in and give us their input on how to handle the scanning of the patterns. I have not heard back from Kaylee nor has she chimed in yet.

If you are not happy I suggest you email too. I maybe the only way they understand the issue.
                          Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

I also emailed the editor. There is no way that they are not aware of the issues.

Comment

First a disclaimer, Yes I do projects for them and an occasional article but I am not an employee and am not speaking for them.

But I will be a bit defensive here. If you have ever been to FC you would know that they have a very small staff that publishes three magazines and several books, I don't believe they have the resources to have someone dedicated to this forum. I think sending messages to the editors was the best thing to do and I hope you get a timely response.

From a scroller point of view there are no simple answers to some of these questions. We all have different resources, computer and scrolling skills and expectations.

My opinion regarding some of these questions (again these are mine and only mine)

1. Scaling: The only time that is important to me is when there are parts that need to be assembled, such as clocks, boxes etc. Early on when I first started test cutting and Bob sent me a pattern I had no way of verifying its size so I suggested putting a reference of known length on each pattern.
                              The rest of the time as I stated above I will make it a size that suits me and fits within the capabilities of my resources.
                              I don't know anyone that has a scanner that is bigger than 8-1/2 x 11, we may have had a copy machine at work that did 11x17.

If they printed every pattern to fit on an 8-1/2 x11 copier with scaling number it would still end up a challenge for some to resize and print. Is that better or worse than getting a full size pattern that is difficult to scan? At least the full size can be reprinted at a service. If they were available in a digital format then we can do what our resources allow but you will still need software etc.

2. I agree all patterns need to be sharp and clear. even older legacy patterns if they are to be reprinted should be re-processed for clarity. I have cut several old fretwork projects that were hand drawn, before I cut those I made sure that all of the tabs and parts truly fit together. I have found many errors. It takes a lot of time and effort.

I like all of the archive disks that I have bought and the larger patterns on the most recent disks are broken up into 8-1/2 x 11 sections ready to print.

Some of this reminds me of the ongoing discussion about content. some want more Fretwork and others say more Intarsia.

Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X