Advent Walk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advent Walk

Our club holds a competition on a yearly basis at the November meeting. With Covid, that contest was cancelled. To keep the members involved, we decided to hold "Virtual Contests". The first was our Fall/Halloween themed contest and we had 9 entries. Our second contest - Holiday themed drew 22 entries. My entry is in the photo below. It is the Advent Walk rather than an Advent Calendar. The pattern is from the German scrolling magazine Feinschnitt kreativ, Winter 2019, Issue 21. I used cherry, maple, and walnut for the pieces. There were many pieces to cut, some small and some larger. What is particularly cool is that there are two sets of people to move along the path - one where they walk with arms around each other and then the seated couple with baby Jesus for the 25th.
    We had quite a variety of projects entered in the contest - 2 carved, 2 scrolled, 15 turned, 1 painted, 1 general woodworking, and 1 "combo" as it was a family affair with turning, carving, wood burning, and woodworking. If you want to see the entries, visitor our website at http://www.woodcny.org/holiday-virtual-contest.html . I was very lucky and received the most votes just ahead of Mr NC. We have 3 more contests scheduled - Valentine's Day, Spring, and Patriotic.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    Barbara
    Proud user of Excalibur, RBI Hawk, & Delta

What is the scale of this beautiful piece?
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Lovely work, Barbara. And congratulations to your club for your thoughtful and creative solution to this year’s challenges. Happy Holidays!
      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Very creative. !

Comment

Great..... And congratulations,.
          however the kid in me is just looking at that long walk of slats and wondering: ghee, bet you could run a marble down there.. would.make a nice track

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments folks. I think it would be tough to run the marble as the angle isn't really that great and part of the path goes up and then down! But it would be fun! Rolf, the size is about 12" long by about 9" wide but the length is really dependent upon the thickness of . wood you use. I made sure that all 3 species were sanded to the same thickness before laying out. It fit into one of the older style Kinkos boxes for shipping,
            I would measure it, but I sent to my older sister in Raleigh, North Carolina. She has 4 young grandchildren with one on the way. She decorates quit heavily for the holidays. I felt that she could use it with them in future years - another special reason to visit the grandparents! I know that she introduced it to them this Christmas.
            Surprisingly, it made it intact - I was worried. I think it went the 100 miles from here (Syracuse) to the Rochester distribution center via horse and buggy as it took 4 days! Then I wondered how long it would move around in the Raleigh distribution center. All told, just 7 days for a priority mail package.
            I guess I need to construct at least 2 more for friends. Luckily, I have a few months! I just need to find enough of 3 different species.
            Barbara
            Proud user of Excalibur, RBI Hawk, & Delta

Comment

This is a very different piece, and definitely a delight. Nice work.
              Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X