Carved Fretwork Pumpkin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carved Fretwork Pumpkin

I was so impressed with the work of Dick Miraglia and the carved fretwork. I decided to try my hand at it and do something very simple to start with. I thought that a Halloween Pumpkin would be good for a beginner at this type project.

I started with 1 inch thick poplar and first cut out the fretwork. Following this was a lot of carving that I did with a Dremel Flex Shaft. The background is about 1/4" thick so the pumpkin sticks out about 3/4". It was painted with acrylic paints and top coated with shellac. I used Fairy LED lights to light it up and found a set which does several different blinking patterns and has a remote control.

Now it is on to find another project to try this technique and try out some more difficult aspects.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Looks great. It’s always fun to try out something new. Looks like you are doing a great job. Look forward to seeing more as you progress.
    Melanie from East TN

Comment

Love it. That is also on my to do list -in January.
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

That is wonderful. Dick is a master of the carved fretwork.
        Denny
        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Wow, those backlights create a great effect!
          "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Quartz that came out great. Dick will be proud.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Now that's one to make us smile! I've been meaning to try that sometime but procrastinating simply because I didn't stop to consider starting on an easier design to actually learn from. Great reminder. I love your jack-o-lantern!
              Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Love every bit of it! The lighting really makes it pop. Would you mind sharing the source for the lights that you used?
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Earlier, I posted a question on where to get them. Someone suggested Amazon and that is where I got them.

Comment

Very well done!

Karl
                    Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
                      Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                      - Albert Einstein

Comment

I wish I could post the video as it looks better with the lights blinking. I used some red clear plastic behind the eyes and nose. It was a fun project.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X