Bank Vault style door lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank Vault style door lock

I though a neat door lock for the basement furnace room / storage room would look like a bank vault gear setup. So.. 380 gear teeth later, I came up with this. A combination of Baltic birch and MDF of various thicknesses it took a couple days to come up with the final design and cutting of the gears. Turning the wheel clockwise, lifts the locking hook on the right off the pin. Turning it counter-clockwise re-locks it. If my wife doesn't feel like turning the wheel, just lifting the locking hook (it's attached with a friction screw) will also unlock the door. Enjoy
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Pop
    Delta 16" 40-530
    Ryobi 16" VS

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember it was amateurs that built the ARK but Professionals that built the Titanic!"

That is such an awesome lock. If there were kids around it would get worn out...and I'm not just talking young kids....my hubby would play with that every time he'd walk by it! Cool idea Pop.
    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Well done and clever!

Comment

That is real neat! What was the total time to design, cut out and assemble?
        cwmagee
        aka Fibber
        Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Wow, that is amazing. Quite the imagination.
          Denny
          ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Love it! You do some very interesting and different stuff.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

very nice, if must have been fun cutting all the gears.

Comment

To all.. so sorry it's been over a month since I responded. I was down with back problems and mostly slept. 2 more ruptured disc one above and one below my hardware installation. Walking and working gently till the Covid crap is over. No surgeries being scheduled around here right now.
                Anyway..
                CWMagee - took probably a week or so to complete. I started as usual with a drawing and threw it out after starting construction because I didn't like the way it looked or worked. Then it was cut out a gear at a different size, lay it out on the bench, if it worked Ok keep it and move on to another gear, etc. Then after it was done, I doubled it to a mirror image. One of those projects that took trying more than just drawing and cutting.

Thanks Rolf.. always good to hear from you. Like I mentioned to CWMagee - I was down for a while with more back problems. Not looking forward to any back work because it will mean they have to remove the old hardware and install new. Bummer.

Dave.. I love using the scroll saw for just about something in every project I do. The gears were a particular challenge in this project because i threw out my original drawings because the gear ratios had the final action being to fast. I wanted to be able turn the hand wheel more than 1 full turn to get the final result. I never did get the ratio right because of 1-my printer doesn't let me make a gear larger than 8 1/4 inches. I did get a good half turn before having the end result of lifting the hook from the pin.

Linda.. The kids really didn't get it. I use it more than they do since the room it goes into is just a furnace / storage room.
                Pop
                Delta 16" 40-530
                Ryobi 16" VS

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember it was amateurs that built the ARK but Professionals that built the Titanic!"

Comment

Welcome back!
                  Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Welcome back... Jus in time for the holidays....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to My lucky day!
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Arizona opened up vaccines to 55 and over this past week. Appointments at the county mass vaccine sites filled up within a few hours. Today I got online to my grandson's pediatrician's office, as I heard they were doing them to help the community. It took 5 minutes to snag an appointment for tomorrow...
                      Yesterday, 11:49 PM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Eagle
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      That's one pretty piece of wood and a very nice cutting. The story that goes with it and your father's love for wood make it even more special. May all that wood make you feel close to him always. Hold on to those memories of him to carry you through the Alzheimers, and for many years after. The...
                      Yesterday, 11:45 PM
                    • rhw80
                      Reply to website to generate portraits from photos
                      by rhw80
                      This one? https://online.rapidresizer.com/phot...to-pattern.php
                      Yesterday, 08:41 PM
                    • martzy
                      Eagle
                      by martzy
                      My father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's this last summer. We had to move him into a nursing home because he couldn't take care of himself anymore. He used to run a successful wood shop. He made shooting benches, picnic tables, porch swings, among other things. My cousin bought his property so we...
                      Yesterday, 05:43 PM
                    • jim_mex
                      Reply to Darkening oak
                      by jim_mex
                      Hi Jim - a long while back I did a series of ebonizing tests using the steel wool and vinegar method on a variety of woods. On white oak the color turns out to be a light grey. On red oak its a much darker grey black. To get the best out of ebonizing i.e. the blackest coloration the wood needs t o be...
                      Yesterday, 04:50 PM
                    Working...
                    X