Back in the saddle again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in the saddle again

I recently posted that I was having a hard time getting back into my shop. My head and heart were just not in it. Well I am slowly making progress. Anyway yesterday I finished these two Steve Good projects. The nativity ornaments are from his newsletter one day last week. The backing is 1/4" maple plywood. The holy family is made of cherry and the sheep is bass wood. The stand up nativity is made of walnut. It is actually segmentation and each piece is shaped and contoured by sanding like you would do for intarsia. That project was started last winter and was one of several unfinished projects I had sitting. Now to tackle some of my started intarsia projects.

Steve Good contoured nativity.jpgSteve Good nativity ornament 1.jpg
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Love the walnut one. Where did that come from?
    Keith

Comment

Glad you are back in the saddle. Very well done.
      Denny
      ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Originally posted by martzy View Post
        Love the walnut one. Where did that come from?
        It came from Steve Good. Search for Mother and Child Segmentation.
        https://www.stevedgood.com/catalog/
        Scott

Comment

Nice work Scott. Glad you are getting some mojo back. Could you send some this way?
          Melanie from East TN

Comment

I like them great job
            Dewalt 788

Comment

Great minds think alike! I have been working on the bottom one! What size is that? Since I’m not doing cardholders this year, we had lots of pieces taped up and I cut some last night out of 1/8” cherry. They came out nice but very fragile. They will be my family ornament this year. I also cut the middle size out of cherry with the white lamb. I am changing to the white background. They are also going on my table at the market.
              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                Great minds think alike! I have been working on the bottom one! What size is that? Since I’m not doing cardholders this year, we had lots of pieces taped up and I cut some last night out of 1/8” cherry. They came out nice but very fragile. They will be my family ornament this year. I also cut the middle size out of cherry with the white lamb. I am changing to the white background. They are also going on my table at the market.
                The entire ornament is 3 1/4" tall and 2 1/4" wide. The Holy Family figures are 2 1/2" tall by 2" wide. Of course you and reduce or enlarge to fit the stock you do have prepared.
                Scott

Comment

Very nice and thank you for sharing. Finishing old projects can actually be rewarding in a very different kind of way. Can't wait to see!
                  Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

I enlarge and shrink patterns all time. I use rapid resizer. I did locate some scrap wood that would be perfect for the smaller size. I also mad some of the nativity Steve had a week ago. I’m taking stuff to the market for feedback. Of the 11 ornaments I took last week I came home with 3. Guess you would call that good feedback.
                    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                      Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                      by will8989
                      Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                      Today, 10:32 AM
                    • Sandy Oaks
                      Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                      by Sandy Oaks
                      As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                      Today, 09:46 AM
                    • NC Scroller
                      Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                      by NC Scroller
                      I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                      Today, 07:42 AM
                    • NC Scroller
                      by NC Scroller
                      I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                      Today, 07:39 AM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                      Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                    Working...
                    X