Scroll Saw Shells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scroll Saw Shells

I made a couple more wood sea shells. Two of them are from construction grade lumber 2x4 or 2x6. The third one which is my favorite was made from Baltic Birch Plywood with two 3/4" thick pieces glued together. The larger shells are about 8" and the smaller about 6".

20200918_092717_resized.jpg

20200918_092643_resized.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Quartz43; 09-21-2020, 07:18 PM.

They are so pretty. Wasn’t there a pattern or something about making shells in one of the magazines?
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Beautiful. Would love to see how that is made.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Stunning, especially the plywood one.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

The one made with Baltic Birch was interesting. I was worried that I would have splintering but it went good. I cut it with a FD UR #5 and #7 blade.

There is a good video by Steve Garrison about how it is made. It is called "Scroll Shells 2 - The Next Level". He also has a website WWW.SPIRALSBYSTEVE.COM.

I have made several of his shells and checked another item off my project bucket list. I think the next is trying to do a picture like Dick Miraglia posted.

Comment

I just might have to take advantage of this covid lull in normal activity and try to make one of these. Yours are beautiful!
            Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Steve Garrison has patterns for other types of shells as well as for geometric toys and a few other things. He also has a Facebook page where people share their work.
              http://www.spiralsbysteve.com/shells.php
              https://www.etsy.com/shop/BeasleyTurnings
              Stabilized blanks and more

Comment

I usually don’t use plywood, but I think it works beautifully with these patterns. On my to do list in January.
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I would not use regular plywood but Baltic Birch is different. On Steve Garrisons Facebook page someone posted a shell with either Baltic Birch or something like Spectraply. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of tearing or splintering with either cutting or sanding.

Using solid wood also has downsides unless the wood is very dry. After you cut them, they can start to cup which makes glue up very difficult.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                    Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                    by will8989
                    Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                    Today, 10:32 AM
                  • Sandy Oaks
                    Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                    by Sandy Oaks
                    As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                    Today, 09:46 AM
                  • NC Scroller
                    Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                    by NC Scroller
                    I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                    Today, 07:42 AM
                  • NC Scroller
                    by NC Scroller
                    I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                    Today, 07:39 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                    Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                  Working...
                  X