Outdoor "Yard Art" morphed into Drive Thru Art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor "Yard Art" morphed into Drive Thru Art

This sizeable project is my 3rd project for a Phoenix area Chick-fil-A drive thru. I've previously done a Christmas train, "totem pole" stacked cows, and individual Christmas cows for their drive thru. This year they asked for a nativity grouping. Their goal is to make their drive thru enjoyable to be in during the hectic holidays, and fun like a drive-thru "Disney" type experience. The tall cows are each 5 feet tall, and to give you further perspective....this picture was taken yesterday in front of a 2-1/2 car garage. Had to do a test assembly of the stable, and decided to set everything in place to see how the grouping turned out. Sorry for the bad lighting, but we had smoke from the California wildfires (if you are suffering from the west coast fires, I feel so bad for you---stay safe please).

It took me a month to design, cut wood, sand, and hand paint everything. Exterior grade and treated premium Birch plywood used, sealed with Bulls-eye exterior primer, and then hand painted with house paint so it could endure the outdoor elements. I buy quality paint in black, white, dark brown, red, blue, and yellow. I mix those paints to get any other colors of the rainbow I want. By using house paint you don't have to apply any lacquers or clear sealers (which you all know turn kinda yellowish brown over time).

Copyright real life example for those who keep asking questions on designs and copyrights---these cows and their idea are a collaboration between myself and the client (Chick-fil-A), so copyrights here are actually a crossover of their copyrights and conceptual trademarks along with my designs (my cows are not replicas of theirs--but are similar which encroaches on their images). Even working directly with a franchise and doing custom pieces for them, I still get permission in writing from them to prove I've done my "due diligence"....but by the same token they are not free to re-use my designs I've done for them, without a release from me. Asking permission builds trust and respect and truly is worth the effort in return business and reputation.

Lastly....thank goodness their maintenance guy does all the setup, install, and lighting around that drive thru!!!!!
    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Lots of work there. I did one outdoor piece 40 years ago and decided it was not for me.
    I actually used a slide projector to transfer the image. Copied it in pencil and then painted (trying to stay inside the lines).
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Very cute. You have a lot more energy then I do to even dream about tackling that.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

very,very nice

Comment

So cute, I am sure lots of Chick Fil A customers in your area will enjoy the season even more as they wait in those long lines.
          Melanie from East TN

Comment

Love it!!! You did an amazing job.
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

That is amazing, Linda, both in design and through completion. Your work is always wonderful.
              Denny
              ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

You Have some throat on that Scroll saw
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I didn't tell the saw part did I Rolf?! I Used a jigsaw on most of it, and did some tight cuts on my 30" Excalibur scroll saw. Awkward, but true.

Comment

Originally posted by Linda In Phoenix View Post
                    I didn't tell the saw part did I Rolf?! I Used a jigsaw on most of it, and did some tight cuts on my 30" Excalibur scroll saw. Awkward, but true.
                    The correct answer was: "Why of course. With spirals, all things are possible."
                    Jim
                    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Very mooooving!
                      "Time to Give Back"

Comment

Linda you really have a Gift! To be able to create a design and then take it all the way to a finished project.
                        Rolf
                        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

All of you are my motivation to do this....you put the pressure on to try new things and keep trying to improve. Thank you all for your help.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
                            Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
                            by Quartz43
                            I would not use regular plywood but Baltic Birch is different. On Steve Garrisons Facebook page someone posted a shell with either Baltic Birch or something like Spectraply. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of tearing or splintering with either cutting or sanding.

Using solid...
                            Today, 09:09 AM
                          • will8989
                            Reply to countdown for Bruce.
                            by will8989
                            Bruce took the “zipper”ff today. Yep, the stitches were zipper type. When we were packing up at the market Sunday, the coffee vendor asked if we wanted a taste of his chocolate whiskey coffee. We said no thanks. After driving to Annapolis in the truck today to get Elliott, Bruce said he was going...
                            Yesterday, 10:12 PM
                          • will8989
                            Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
                            by will8989
                            I usually don’t use plywood, but I think it works beautifully with these patterns. On my to do list in January.
                            Yesterday, 10:02 PM
                          • will8989
                            Reply to Back in the saddle again
                            by will8989
                            I enlarge and shrink patterns all time. I use rapid resizer. I did locate some scrap wood that would be perfect for the smaller size. I also mad some of the nativity Steve had a week ago. I’m taking stuff to the market for feedback. Of the 11 ornaments I took last week I came home with 3. Guess you...
                            Yesterday, 09:59 PM
                          • will8989
                            Reply to Starting again
                            by will8989
                            And to do something different. I’m trying to schedule part or a whole day to bowl grinding. Of course, we had a 7 year old visitor most of the day as he had a half day today. So much for using the grinder. instead I put a bandaid on a scratch on his elbow so he “wouldn’t bleed to death”. Than...
                            Yesterday, 09:55 PM
                          Working...
                          X